PRS Bolt On also Cores?

Julian

It's a '59 with 4 knobs
Hello,

I’ve seen a lot of reviewers refer to the John Mayer Bolt On as “the core model”. I was wondering if the Bolt-On series was a part of the core range?

I think the usage of the term "Core" towards the US-built SS is a casual categorization that PRS themselves would not assert. It's just a convenient way to differentiate the SE SS from the original model, and since the original wasn't marketed as an S2, most folks just lump it in with the "rest of the cores". And as noted, the current CE falls into that trap / mis-categorization as well.

I think the usage of the term "Core" towards the US-built SS is a casual categorization that PRS themselves would not assert. It's just a convenient way to differentiate the SE SS from the original model, and since the original wasn't marketed as an S2, most folks just lump it in with the "rest of the cores". And as noted, the current CE falls into that trap / mis-categorization as well.

I thought about that when I replied, but to me, the Silver Sky falls more into core territory because of everything on it, especially the trem. The CE uses the same trem as the S2, so it slides away from core because of that.

When I think a Core I also think violin carve. It's hard and wrong to apply that concept to a SS. I consider it in their bolt on series but now there's an SSSE, I'm in the camp to refer the SS as the core version.

If push to shove on the newer CE I'd slide that over to the S2 camp because of the carve and trem. Bonus points for the pickups but still more S2 to me.

Older CE 100% core.

I just think people say 'Core' for the Silver Sky is because its the 'highest' end of that model and made in US but its still part of the bolt-on series with a similar scarf joint neck that they use in that 'range'. The Core are the set 1-piece neck, violin carve guitars that have defined PRS guitars.

I don't take it personally if others see it different or use 'Core' to describe the US made SS, I understand that its the US model they are referring to even though I know its part of the 'Bolt-on' range.

The dropdown list on the PRS website ranks the ranges like this:

Core
Bolt-on
S2
SE

This is clearly a deliberate decision and it makes sense to me. The current bolt-on models sit right between S2 and Core both in terms of price point and "quality" if you ask me.

I didn't think they were considered Core, since they're just listed as "bolt-on" on the PRS Website, and aren't in the Core section. I just consider them US Made Bolt-On - separate thing.

That was my logic. Even though I owned one. To this day I still never felt like I had ever owned a core PRS, and I still don't. Then when they popped up on the site as a bolt on, there was no denying the fact.

Buuut, I've definitely heard JM call it a core, so tomato, tomato. I call them Cores a lot just because it's easier to type that than The USA Versions. Yeah, I'm lazy like that.

Last edited:
Hello,

I’ve seen a lot of reviewers refer to the John Mayer Bolt On as “the core model”. I was wondering if the Bolt-On series was a part of the core range?
To refer to it simply as the ‘US version’ is probably the easiest and least controversial option. Especially given PRS’s categorisation of it as just ‘bolt-on’ as a number of people have already mentioned.

I tend to associate ‘core’ with the main and original US made set-neck models, so the Customs, McCarty etc. Rightly or wrongly.

As far as their website categories go, the Web Archive shows that the named “Core” grouping starting in 2016 on their site with the reintroduction of the CE line. Before that it was just “Solidbody”, “Hollowbody”, “Signature”, “SE”, etc. And before that when there were carved top CE models, it was simply “Glossy Finish”, “Satin Finish”, “Signature”, “SE”.

That being said, we’ve been using the term “Core” longer than that for sure. To me, a carved top USA-made PRS is a Core. The CE gets weird just because its been brought back as something else.

To refer to it simply as the ‘US version’ is probably the easiest and least controversial option. Especially given PRS’s categorisation of it as just ‘bolt-on’ as a number of people have already mentioned.

I tend to associate ‘core’ with the main and original US made set-neck models, so the Customs, McCarty etc. Rightly or wrongly.

yeah isn’t it kind of misleading if that’s not the case?

Back