PRS Bass.... 4 string or 5 string, whats your preference

38Roars

Bless the Blues
Discloser! I have never played bass...
But I am curious, you guys that do whats your preference 4 or 5 ?

Standard tuning or half step down - 4 string

Dropped tunings - 5 string

I find 4 string bases very easy/comfortable to get around on. I played in a praise an worship band for several years the 4 string did everything I needed. I owned a 5 string, and perhaps it my mental block, but I had a hard time using the 5th string w/o intentionally thinking.

In dropped tunings though I tend feel that since your already going for a lower sound seeking the lower notes comes more naturally for me.

Every great Motown, Disco, Funk, and Reggae bass line was done on a four stringer... so that's were I'm at. I have owned a few fives in my lifetime but they never seem to "work" for me.

Every great Motown, Disco, Funk, and Reggae bass line was done on a four stringer... so that's were I'm at. I have owned a few fives in my lifetime but they never seem to "work" for me.

You know the Portaflex B-15 had a lot to do with that sound. If those cats had a low-B that car stereos of the day could reproduce, I'd bet a stash of Sun 45's they'd have used it.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;59909 said:
If those cats had a low-B that car stereos of the day could reproduce, I'd bet a stash of Sun 45's they'd have used it.

Oh, for sure they would have! I'm not generally knocking 5&6 string basses... they just are not MY thing. It would be nice to have a low D note available every once in a while though.

Since I never have played a 5 string bass, is the low fat string still an E, or is it dropped down to a D?
I Always assumed the big string was still an E, but the top skinny string would be tuned to a B like on a regular guitar.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;59909 said:
You know the Portaflex B-15 had a lot to do with that sound. If those cats had a low-B that car stereos of the day could reproduce, I'd bet a stash of Sun 45's they'd have used it.

I got to play through the B-15 that was used on some of those records. Still sounded great as of a few years ago.

PS- I like a 4-string because that's what I learned to play. ;)

Since I never have played a 5 string bass, is the low fat string still an E, or is it dropped down to a D?
I Always assumed the big string was still an E, but the top skinny string would be tuned to a B like on a regular guitar.

5 string bases are typically tuned BEADG. You have to think of the 5 string more like a 7 string guitar with an added lower B.

5 string bases are typically tuned BEADG. You have to think of the 5 string more like a 7 string guitar with an added lower B.
Thanks for the explanation, if I pick up a bass in the future, I would probably be better off with just four strings :D

I've never understood the need for a 5 string bass or a 7 string guitar - I have enough trouble with their regular configurations!

I've never understood the need for a 5 string bass or a 7 string guitar - I have enough trouble with their regular configurations!

I play in a band that writes in B - so instead of dropping all 6 strings, its easier and more practical to simply add an extra string. That way tension is nice, and the range is extended instead minimized :)

We're toying with the thought of "two extra bass strings" 6string bass. Accompanied by 8string guitar. That would qualify us as the world's heaviest folk band, but the question is, whether it's not too much. And whether we don't just compensate for something :flute:

Discloser! I have never played bass...
But I am curious, you guys that do whats your preference 4 or 5 ?

5, although I've played most of this past year on a four because the worship band had two guitarists. One or no guitar, definitely 5. It was the 5er last Sunday and will be again tomorrow. Also used the three times I've played with Afghan musicians, since Tabla style is very melodic but rides one key scale. My MTD535 would have drowned out the Harmonium player, the 4-string basses fit right in with the Tabla percussionists.

Back