PRS Baritones

Brennan Hales

I am all about the drop tunings such as Drop C, B, and A#. While I was going through PRS' products page, I didnt see any baritones besides the Mike Mushok Baritone SE. I think PRS needs to add more baritones and SE Baritones. What do you think? If you agree do you mind contacting PRS and see if they can add more to their collection.

I prefer standard scale for C, B, A#. Plenty of time at Drop G on a 25.5" 7 string and was happy. If I was rocking 28.8" I think I would be tuning to F or Drop E. Maybe an octave down? That would be fun.

I have had a Mushok for around 4 and a half years and also wish there were more offerings. The Clint Lowery model has a slightly longer scale length than most PRSi. I played one recently and it was really cool, and I plan to get one as an upgrade for the Mushok. It handled B standard tuning (what my band uses sometimes) very well. The carved/beveled top was much more comfortable than the flat top on the Mushok.

I also had my 07 Mira strung up in B standard running a set of 13s, and it did okay. It was way easier to play than the Mushok but lacked a lot of the depth that the longer scale brings. I prefer that guitar to be in standard or drop D tunings, so I converted it back.

It would be nice if they offered more, but not sure if the market demands it. The Lowery model is great in drop B & C# though. Check one out if you get a chance.

Do u guys think that they should add more baritones, and i do love the clint lowery, and i will get it someday

Many times I regretted selling my Mushok to John Beef, and I've kept an eye out for one in the brown burst finish to show up used. If it's at the right price I would pick one up in a second. However, another reason I haven't yet is the same reason I sold it in the first place. I barely crack 5"6, and that long neck was a ***** to play.

It's funny because I think Mushok himself is about the same height.

I don't play mine daily, but I do really love my modified Mushok SE. While it would be great to see a true USA-built, violin-carved top baritone production model (non-S2, no offense against those guitars, I just don't think an S2 would be different enough to justify the purchase for most, myself included!) I'm sure if the demand seemed to be there, PRS would have already put them on the market and that just might not be the case. :( I also don't know if I could justify spending USA PRS money on a baritone just because I know I don't get as much use out of my Mushok as I do with my other PRS, even though I love playing the Mushok when I do! :)

While it would be great to see a true USA-built, violin-carved top baritone production model, I'm sure if the demand seemed to be there, PRS would have already put them on the market and that just might not be the case. :(
I would save up and buy one. I'm always lusting after new guitars, sure, but in reality I've got the standard/drop tunings covered already between my Mira and CU22. My Mushok is a very good guitar, but it's not a great guitar like the other two, which I think is a reasonable statement given it's a SE. Fantastic for the money!

My wife's been trying to convince me to save up and buy a Lakland Decade 6. However, the scale length is longer than I would like and the street price is very high for a bolt-on guitar, IMHO. Lakland is up there with PRS in terms of superior quality. My wife's Lakland Glaub bass is the nicest instrument in the house.

Agreed but in my old age and many times touching the hot stove I've come to learn 7 strings and baritones are very niche and while we are spoiled in having such a close relationship with the company, PRS is very much a big business that needs to follow the laws of the land when it comes to making decisions. So while it would be nice, we can only wish.

Luckily the SE's are killer for the price and PS is available if you're able to swing it. A Mushok is a very good base for some PTC experiments ;)

Last edited:
When the MM SE first came out, I ordered one and loved it. I used it in my cover band at the time, which played a few Drop Bb tunes like this one and this one. The bass player in this cover band, who also played guitar, introduced me to a pedal he had been using called a Morpheus DropTune. After experiencing this pedal, I soon realized that it was unnecessary for me to carry 3 - 4 guitars around to every gig for multiple tunings.

So I sold my SE MM less than one year after purchase, and purchased a Morpheus DropTune.

Fast forward to earlier this year. I missed my SE MM so much that I purchased another one, in the same Silverburst color as my original. I'm currently researching what mods to add/change on the guitar. I've already purchased a PRS hardcase (made for a 12-string electric), Schaler strap locks, and a Reunion Blues merino wool strap. Next on my list I'm considering PRS Tremonti USA bass/treble pups, a black Hipshot guitar bridge, and black Schaler locking tuners.

Has anyone else modified their SE MM to any degree? This is my first post and have to admit that I haven't searched much for other treads, which I will be doing next.

I hate to resurrect this thread, but I had to make my second post ever on this forum to say "hey, I ordered one of these!". I have severe GAS right now, having placed a pre-order for a PRS SE ZM in Spalted Maple which won't be available until July (that was my first post!)...and all this talk of ebony fretboards and massive drop tunings got me thinking a Baritone guitar would be an interesting experiment. Ordered in Vintage Cherry.

So, my record on this forum is one post per guitar I buy, and two posts in one week...I better hide my credit card from myself!

shinksma

I personally think PRS needs to get rid of most of the signature SE models, or at least have normal SE models that aren't goofed up with stupid colors, names, or other dumb traits.

I personally think PRS needs to get rid of most of the signature SE models, or at least have normal SE models that aren't goofed up with stupid colors, names, or other dumb traits.

What's so bad about the sig SE's? I love mine, and as far as I can tell, the Bernie, Tremonti, Santana, and Myers are probably some of the top sellers of the SE line, and none have anything tacky, just a name on the headstock...

Last edited:
I agree that there definitely are some SE sigs that aren't so special such as the new Friedman, Nick Cantonese, Tim Mahoney, Dave Navarro. The latter 2 basically just Custom 24 SE's in their own colors really.
I always thought that the Billy Martin SE was kind of humorous. Seen A TON of those modded.
As for using a guitar for down tuning though..if you use the guitar mainly for that tuning, why not just have it set up for that tuning. For example, I have both my McCarty Hollowbody and my CU24 set up with 12 gauge strings in Standard D tuning. There is absolutely no string flop and it plays like a guitar in standard E. I can't tune it up, but then again I have no desire too either.

I agree that there definitely are some SE sigs that aren't so special such as the new Friedman, Nick Cantonese, Tim Mahoney, Dave Navarro. The latter 2 basically just Custom 24 SE's in their own colors really.

I agree about all the guitars you mentioned except for the Mahoney. It's unique in that it's the only way to get 24 frets and a stoptail. The others can easily be replicated with standard models and a few mods. The only thing about the Mahoney is the finish, which is as far from neutral as you can get. Your either really into it (most likely because your a fan) or hate it. They should offer at least one other option, maybe a cherry version.

Back