PRS Baritone

ysmth

Hi everyone

I really dig those baritones and I would like to add one of those to my collection. However, I haven't really found "the one" yet. I've been looking at all kinds of models but I'm not quite convinced... First of all, I'm a huge fan of single cuts. Obviousely, I stumbled upon Tremonti's model. Now, while this is an absolutely gorgeous guitar, it is still "only" a hybrid and I want the real deal baritone scale length. :D

For the moment, I consider the 2018 SE 277 model (Fire Red Burst) to be the closest to what I want. But I'd prefer it to be a single cut. o_O

Any suggestions? Are there other models I haven't found yet?

Unless you go Private Stock, you have run the gamut of available models.

Could you get one of the current SEs, then take it to a good luthier or woodworker who could chop off the upper horn and glue on some other wood in the singlecut shape? If so, please post pics of the process in the SE Mods or Modified Monday threads.

Here is a hot tip for ya:) Its not a singlecut but still a fine PRS-SE Baritone for creating low tuned sounds.
It is rare, because PRS-discountinued the production, which doesent mean that it was a bad guitar. Ive read really only good reviews about her.

Here you go with this both Links:

http://www.guitar.com.au/guitars/electric/prs/se_mikemushok.html

I checked it out and there is actually one for sale here. But I just don't like the look of that model... mh. Yeah, I know, should be secondary. But still...

I checked it out and there is actually one for sale here. But I just don't like the look of that model... mh. Yeah, I know, should be secondary. But still...

Hmm..On the one hand I understand you, because first I tend automatically to check the look. My X-Girlfriend, who was a respectable guitar player always bought guitars because of the look as the first choice. It was her primal factor of selection. This approach is humanely natural but IMO still not correct. Therefore: 1.Sound. 2.Playability 3. Look. Note also, that this Model is discontinued, so it might become pretty rare in the future.

I played my MM Baritone last night. Had quite a fun time, came up with some licks and chord progressions that might become a song or two.

So while it isn't the most flash of the PRS models out there, and it not a singlecut as you desire, it is a very solid instrument, and does what it is supposed to do quite well, IMHO.

Hmm..On the one hand I understand you, because first I tend automatically to check the look. My X-Girlfriend, who was a respectable guitar player always bought guitars because of the look as the first choice. It was her primal factor of selection. This approach is humanely natural but IMO still not correct. Therefore: 1.Sound. 2.Playability 3. Look. Note also, that this Model is discontinued, so it might become pretty rare in the future.

I totally second that. Sound - Playability - Look. But at this point I'd rather wait and look for a guitar that TOTALLY fits my ideas than just buy one because it's available right now. I don't shy away from spending a lot of money on a guitar, if it is what I really want and need (my SC245, SC58 and Hollowbody II single cut were not exactly cheap :rolleyes:). But with those baritones I kinda ran into a dead-end... Well, for now, that is.

The MM-Model might be really cool but in that respect I guess I prefer the SE277 Fire Red Burst... But I haven't played the MM yet.

I played my MM Baritone last night. Had quite a fun time, came up with some licks and chord progressions that might become a song or two.

So while it isn't the most flash of the PRS models out there, and it not a singlecut as you desire, it is a very solid instrument, and does what it is supposed to do quite well, IMHO.

Ok cool... well, I did no expect otherwise. Those newer SE models really rock. My SE245 ltd spalted maple is a hell of a guitar, considering the price... I'm contacting the guy who is selling his MM (it's not the silver burst, though, which I would have preferred. damn) :confused:;)

FWIW, I have owned both. The SE277 gets my vote over the MM. For me, I like a good rock tone, not a metal tone. The ebony fretboard and maple neck on the MM made the sound more crisp and attacking for lack of a better term. I had the danrdest time finding a pickup for the bridge position that didn't make it sound like nu-metal. It's eventually was sold because after easily 8 or 9 pickup swaps over 5 years, it never really got to where I wanted it. Compare that to the SE277 which is still rocking the stock pickups after nearly a year of ownership.

As a secondary thing, the flat top of the MM vs. the slightly carved/beveled top of the 277 - the 277 wins hands down for comfort.

The bridge on the MM was better. The SE277 has a gap between the saddles and the side of the bridge, whereas the MM was as tight as I expect to see from PRS. They're less than $5 new from China so what do you expect? I already asked John Mann if he is planning to make a bridge compatible with the 277 and he said he's working on one, and to check back with him later.

FWIW, I have owned both. The SE277 gets my vote over the MM. For me, I like a good rock tone, not a metal tone. The ebony fretboard and maple neck on the MM made the sound more crisp and attacking for lack of a better term. I had the danrdest time finding a pickup for the bridge position that didn't make it sound like nu-metal. It's eventually was sold because after easily 8 or 9 pickup swaps over 5 years, it never really got to where I wanted it. Compare that to the SE277 which is still rocking the stock pickups after nearly a year of ownership.

As a secondary thing, the flat top of the MM vs. the slightly carved/beveled top of the 277 - the 277 wins hands down for comfort.

The bridge on the MM was better. The SE277 has a gap between the saddles and the side of the bridge, whereas the MM was as tight as I expect to see from PRS. They're less than $5 new from China so what do you expect? I already asked John Mann if he is planning to make a bridge compatible with the 277 and he said he's working on one, and to check back with him later.
I do not disagree with ya - the MM and the 277 (I have the SH with soapbars) are very different beasts, and the MM does tend to want to metal more than anything. I guess I was metalling out a bit last night.

The 277 SH is more versatile to me, but doesn't get as heavy as the MM, which is why I have both. And the 277 does look better, with the flame maple veneer (on top of a simplified carved plain maple cap).

It may be impossible to find now, but did you ever hear/see the videos of Steve Ouimette demoing Mojave amps with a Les Paul Baritone fitted with Sheptone Growler pickups? That was a unique tone...

Oh thank you, this was VERY helpful!! Despite the fact that I'm looking for a heavier sounding guitar I still want it to be versatile enough to also play warm, clean sounds and less heavily distorted rock-parts. This clearly points into the direction of the SE277, as it seems... Also, better comfort due to the slightly carved body sounds good to me!! Thanks man!

Does anyone know where I can find a (good) video demo of the SE277 in Fire Red Burst? I don't seem to find any... o_O

Does anyone know where I can find a (good) video demo of the SE277 in Fire Red Burst? I don't seem to find any... o_O
The first hit I get on Youtube is the demo from Premier Guitar, featuring a solid body with humbuckers (i.e. not semi-hollow with soapbars) in a red color - dunno if that is fire red burst.

Can't provide link right now, sorry - found Youtube via phone.

EDIT: ah, now I see, that isn't "Fire red burst", which is much (much!) darker.

Why the color specific request?

Back