PRS Baritone SE 277 question

Roger Fisher

I have a very beautiful 2017 tobacco-burst Baritone SE 277, but wondering if I can put light gauge strings on it and tune it E to E and use like a standard guitar?
This might sound crazy idea, but I have this very beautiful guitar and I'd like to use it as my standard full-time guitar (instead of its current baritone B to B tuning). It's not only the most beautiful guitar I've ever had, but it's my only PRS and just feels so good in my hands I want to play it more, use it all the time. So, from techie folks out there, can light strings be used on baritone guitar to convert it to standard guitar? thanks.

I have a very beautiful 2017 tobacco-burst Baritone SE 277, but wondering if I can put light gauge strings on it and tune it E to E and use like a standard guitar?
This might sound crazy idea, but I have this very beautiful guitar and I'd like to use it as my standard full-time guitar (instead of its current baritone B to B tuning). It's not only the most beautiful guitar I've ever had, but it's my only PRS and just feels so good in my hands I want to play it more, use it all the time. So, from techie folks out there, can light strings be used on baritone guitar to convert it to standard guitar? thanks.
My first thought would be "Can you get light strings that are long enough?"
My second thought is that, if so, that's a long scale to tune up to pitch if you want to bend.

But I could be totally wrong .....

Yeah, you could do that if you found long enough strings. There was a boutiquey guitar company, I can't remember the name any more and the guy that ran it retired... they made 27" scale standard tuned guitars.

If you can get long enough strings, you can do it, but you'll probably need a new nut for the smaller gauge strings, and the string tension for bending will be pretty darn heavy!

Back