PRS Baritone P22?

Should PRS Make a Baritone P22?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

staybobo

What do you think of a PRS Baritone P22 with these specs?

Specs

• 22 Frets
  • 27.75" Scale Length
  • Mahogany Body
  • East Indian Rosewood Neck & Fretboard
  • Mushok Baritone Neck Shape
  • No Inlays
  • Side Fret Markers
  • Seymour Duncan Black Winter Pickups
  • PRS/LR Baggs Piezo Bridge
  • Hybrid Hardware
  • Charcoal, Tortoise Shell with Smoked Burst, Mocha Smoked Burst, and Silver Burst Colors
  • 2 Volumes, 1 Tone, 3 Way Pickup Selector Switch, and PRS/LR Baggs Piezo System

Last edited:
I used to really want a baritone. Now, not as much. Are you talking for a PS or a wish for a USA model?

The PTC (Skitchy) put a ghost piezo system in a Mushok Baritone for me. I know of at least one more besides this one. Might be worth looking into if you're not married to the specs you noted above. It really sounds fantastic with the long scale. It has a dreadnaught mode and a jumbo mode. It also blends very well with the magnetic pups (Tremonti).

attachment.php

i do think PRS should have a baritone model in their US line, but not to the specs you listed.

i do think PRS should have a baritone model in their US line, but not to the specs you listed.
+1

I like some of those options. Solid 'hog body sounds good to me, especially if it's a carved top. The scale length is good, the neck shape is good, # of frets is good.

The big "no" thing would be the rosewood neck. Baritones are dark-toned enough just by design, it does not need a rosewood neck muddying up the tone even more. The Mushok uses a Maple neck with ebony fretboard - those brighten up the tone substantially. Also, solid rosewood is an expensive option I would not want to pay for.

Aside from that, I don't think PRS would ever use a narrow-market, one trick pony pickup like a Black Winter. Their "\m/" pickups are supposed to be pretty versatile, I might expect to see those in a guitar like this.

Not sure the rosewood neck would go for the core product line, on an artist package version would be fine. Duncan pickups will not end up on a core guitar. No inlays won't happen either.

\m/ pickups
mahogany or maple neck
regular inlay options

and you might have something...still don't believe there's a big enough market for it though....

If I bought one of these I would tune it to F#, E or Drop E. Get my Meshuggah and Tosin on.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;108228 said:
The PTC (Skitchy) put a ghost piezo system in a Mushok Baritone for me. I know of at least one more besides this one. Might be worth looking into if you're not married to the specs you noted above. It really sounds fantastic with the long scale. It has a dreadnaught mode and a jumbo mode. It also blends very well with the magnetic pups (Tremonti).

attachment.php

I have a Mike Mushok SE Hot Rod (thank you Skitchy) with phase 2 locking tuners, tremonti pick ups set and aGhost piezo System. Not my main guitar, but I love it to add textures and do some overdubs. The baritone piezo really adds some different flavor to it. I just bought a Baritone because it wasn't expensive, if it was an US model I wouldn't get it, but that's me.

I voted no, I do want a baritone soon though. I would kill for a baritone P408.

edit: I really been thinking for the last couple of months about saving up for a PS. Double neck with the top being baritone and the bottom being a regular neck. I'll have to do a bunch of saving though.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a US-built baritone, and as always I'm a +1 for anything that has the PRS/LR Baggs piezo system , but not with the specs in the OP. Maple or mahogany options for the neck would be cool, as others have said I'm not sure the baritone scale and a rosewood neck would be the best combination. Love baritones, love rosewood necks, but combining the two? Not sure that would be the best combo tonally. :(

What about a Mahogany body with a Sapele neck, Ebony fingerboard, Moon and Bird inlays, oiled finish neck, Tremonti Pickups or 408 Bass pickup & Narrow 408 Treble pickup?

Last edited:
If PRS did a US baritone, my best advice for success is to keep the woods and pickups as close to accepted standards as possible (i.e. Maple or mahogany for neck wood and standard-sized passives). If folks are spending US-level cash, they're likely going to want the traditional tone woods and pickups they can swap (invariably, even the Tremonti set wouldn't work for everyone so keeping the pickups easily swappable would be in their best interest) so that means no sapele and no 408's. I know a ton of folks who won't even try a 408 or buy one used because they can't swap pickups later. I have a 408 and love it, but when you're dealing with an already niche market like ERG's, you can't always go wild with the specs if you want them to sell. I think that's part of why the Mushok did so well, they used specs that work very well for a baritone so it has sold fairly well. Honestly I love my Mushok SE so much I'm not even sure I would "need" a US version, it's such a solid guitar for the money that I haven't found anything about it that needs fixing that couldn't be handled with a screwdriver or soldering iron. ;)

Back