PRS B-Bender

alantig

Zombie Four, DFZ
I’d bet that Shawn will be able to give us a definitive answer to this question...

I was editing some video from Experience PRS 2012 (so I’m a procrastinator - I’ll tell you about it sometime), and I was looking at the video of Ricky Skaggs and Brent Mason. Because of the lighting, it’s really hard to tell, but it looks to me like Skaggs has a B-bender installed on his PRS - he’s pushing the guitar down, the strap isn’t moving, and the pedal steel-like sounds are pretty unmistakeable. I’ve never heard that anyone had installed a B-bender in a PRS, but this seems to be one. Does anyone know for sure?

I’m 99% sure - the only thing that leads me to doubt it was Mason was playing some licks w/the pedal steel sound right before that and he wasn’t moving the guitar. And I’ve seen Johnny Hiland and David Grissom (among others) do similar things.

The lighting was way too dark to see the back of the guitar. It may have been added later - there was no way to tell with what I was looking at.

Quick google didn't show any PRS guitars with it, but benders have been put on Les Pauls, so it would be the same process for most PRSs.

Get a used SE and find a system to mod into it for experimenting.

custom build
Les-Paul-Bender.jpg

production Gibson
gibson-les-paul-jnr-b-bender-630-80.jpg

Custom mod
29406-b2dd8764ad0c3205d0e51e1441e3c42b.jpg

I'm going to bet he had a Joe Glaser B Bender on there. Note the strap connection relocated to the neck joint.

505fb39d1ef0b.image.jpg

Makes sense. I thought the strap was going to the neck joint. These will give me a better angle to look at it.

That was my first Experience. I remember the discussion about the guitar. Paul wanted to make an electric for Ricky Skaggs but Ricky Skaggs wanted a B-Bender on it. PRS built the guitar and shipped it to someone in Nashville to install the B-Bender.

That was my first Experience. I remember the discussion about the guitar. Paul wanted to make an electric for Ricky Skaggs but Ricky Skaggs wanted a B-Bender on it. PRS built the guitar and shipped it to someone in Nashville to install the B-Bender.

Perfect - thank you. Confirms I'm not nuts. Well, not about this. Everything else...o_O

Funny, I was just watching the youtube vid of Gene Parson talking about Clarence and how B-benders came to be and now I want one!

Seeing that pic with the JR with bender has me wondering whether a SE One would work with a bender...Hmmmmm.

I don’t see why it wouldn’t work on an SE One.

I’d love to try one. It’s just a big investment in money and cutting up a guitar. As cool as they are, what really astounds me is watching guys like David Grissom, Johnny Hiland, and Brent Mason doing that with just their hands.

Back