PRS Archon vs Prs Custom 50 review

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
Found this older review by Phil from 2014.
He mentions about a line being made overseas in the comments section, but this never happened.
I like the sound better of the Archon.
What I would like to hear about is this 5 watt Tremonti/Archon coming out.
Been awfully quiet as of late about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the fact that both amps are so poorly recorded (obviously using the mic from the video camera), they both sound quite good.

I'll take both! ;)

When I picked up the new guitar on Saturday, I had a long discussion on a new amp and I think I picked the Archon 50 as my next purchase based on two channels and the low power mode. Now I just have to save up for it!

I like the Custom 50 better. The Archon has something going on in the mids that just doesn't sound as full to my ears.

I like the Custom 50 better. The Archon has something going on in the mids that just doesn't sound as full to my ears.

The Archon is more focused in the mids. I think that's what makes it interesting, though.

The Archon is more focused in the mids. I think that's what makes it interesting, though.

I suppose I just need to sit down with one and give the mid and presence controls a good workout. Frequently when I hear clips of an Archon, it sounds like an amp that has a tubescreamer in front of it, with a lot of upper-mid content. I find that type of tone too nasally, but there's probably more adjustment to be had. I want to want one... I just haven't been convinced yet. Also, If I just said that, I clearly have a problem requiring a support group.

There is a ton of range on the Archon's tone controls. Combined with the Depth and Presence there are a ton of voicings to be had with the Archon. There are really not any bad sounds, even when knobs are set to extremes. You should totally get one.

Yeah, I totally dig my 2 Archon's (25 Combo and 50 Head) more than I ever did my Custom 50...and I loved my Custom 50! For ME, the Archon's just do everything better. Thought I would miss the boost, but easily taken care of with my t.c. Spark.

I find that type of tone too nasally, but there's probably more adjustment to be had. I want to want one... I just haven't been convinced yet. Also, If I just said that, I clearly have a problem requiring a support group.

Well, anything with a very focused midrange is going to have a somewhat nasal quality - that's the objection that Fender folks originally had to Marshall amps back in the day (and for a long time as a Fender amp player I felt the same way!).

But that same focused midrange really cuts through a mix, and when the gain is cranked up, instead of mud you get a tightly controlled sound with a lot of definition. So sitting in a mix with bass, drums and vocals, notes and chords are going to be in a good range.

Nature of the beast, I guess.

In any case, the Archon is one of the few high gain amps I'd actually want to own.

In fact, since I have a similar support group need, I DO want to own one! Hahaha!

Last edited:
So I think I like the archon but would you but the 50 watt and switch it down to 25 or buy the 25 watt with he option to switch to 13? I also think I like the combo with the option to add a second cabinet but am not sure.

So I think I like the archon but would you but the 50 watt and switch it down to 25 or buy the 25 watt with he option to switch to 13? I also think I like the combo with the option to add a second cabinet but am not sure.

I'd buy the 100 and switch to 50 for when I don't want clean headroom, personally, but I'd buy the 50 over the 25 for the same reason.

25 watts isn't a whole lot, and 13 can be pretty loud depending on speakers, just doesn't have a lot of clean headroom.

But that same focused midrange really cuts through a mix, and when the gain is cranked up, instead of mud you get a tightly controlled sound with a lot of definition. So sitting in a mix with bass, drums and vocals, notes and chords are going to be in a good range.

Nature of the beast, I guess.

That is very true. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for some evidence of an Archon in a band setting.

That is very true. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for some evidence of an Archon in a band setting.

Before the end of 2016 I hope to have that evidence for ya on a clip or three.

The Archon's on my list of "must haves" and I'm not even a high gain player for the most part. But when you need that thing it does, well, you simply need that thing it does!

And you know it darn well needs that 4x12 PRS cab to complete the ensemble. :top:

Lesteban is young at heart... I'm not even 30 and I don't want to drag one of those around anymore!

If you're like me, you'll still be rockin' when your buddies are in rocking chairs, and thinking about your next guitar and amp!

Back