PRS Archon FX Loop mods?

Losian237

Hi all. I'm posting here because I contacted PRS Customer Service & was told PRS does not offer any mods or info on mods to change the FX Loop on Archon amps.

Here is my problem. The PRS Archon FX loop is wired POST MASTER VOLUME. This is imho a serious design flaw. I am unable to get proper signal volume to the fx loop without the amp being INSANELY LOUD, and then I have no way of muting my fx loop (aside from just switching it out via the footswitch).

A post master loop means any issues with the pedal chain (scratchy cables, pressing footswitches, etc.) get amplified AT FULL VOLUME. Likewise, any noise the pedals generate is also amplified at full volume. Even when channel master volumes are all the way down.

Has anyone tried to mod their Archon FX loop? I'm hoping there is a way to make the loop PRE-master. I may just have to add a volume pot to the return on the loop and run that as a Master Volume.

Thanks for any advice. The PRS Archon is my favorite amp of all time after 20+ years of playing, but this FX Loop has me baffled.

I have had luck with using an active volume pedal at the end of the loop like a Morley optical one, but you have to use that as your master volume =(

Own both a MT 15 and a Archon 50 head. Haven't had the Archon but a few weeks now but on my MT 15 I wound up running a NOS Blackburn Mullard 12AT7 in V 5 for the effects loop driver and that drove down the noise in my loop noticeably. Would be worth a try at the least.

Back