PRS Archon 100 vs. 50 head

iR4lf

Hi guys!

A buddy of mine is looking into getting an Archon as he was blown away by the sound (he played my Archon 100).

Now he can't decide to either get a 100 watt or a 50w head. As I have only the 100 watt head I could give him no advice or comparison.

Well 4 vs 2 power tubes. Bigger transformers in the 100w? Nicer faceplate on the 100w head in my opinion.

Maybe you can help us out? Sound the same? 100w better low end? We know about the switching options but nothing about different results in sound or feel.

He is more of a home player but has a band that has some gigs throughout the year...

By the way, he has a chance to get a used 50w paisley head. But are those paisley heads damaged easily? Well he wants a tough head...

Thanks for your help and advice and enjoy your day

PS: Yes I read the similar post on this board from March:)

Last edited:
By the way, he has a chance to get a used 50w paisley head. But are those paisley heads damaged easily? Well he wants a tough head...
No, those paisley heads are as durable as anything else. I have two paisley 4x10s (one combo and one cab), and they're very robustly put together and the covering is very durably applied.

I'd say if he's mostly a home player, he'd be perfectly fine with the 50W. I got the 100W, but I play mostly cleans, so wanted ALL THE HEADROOMS.

Was it my post? Either way that Archons master volume is amazing and while I was leaning toward the 50 I ended up with a 100 and have no regrets!

I have been considering the same. I run my Archon 100 at home in 50W and it sounds great. Given that it cuts off two output tubes, the 50W version should sound just like that EXCEPT I doubt it has the same size transformers.

So I am still going back and forth for an amp for rehearsal. The price difference isn't much between the to, so if I do buy a second Archon, it will probably be another 100.

Thx guys for your replies...

So the 100w will be tighter? A thing also to consider is weight!

We were wondering if the 50w would sound as massive in the low end as the 100w!
Also the 50w has only two power tubes to replace...Also less tubes maybe less hum as my 100w has a noticeable hum (not the effect loop noise!)

Oh decisions decisions

Ok here goes

The weight is close both the 50 and
100 use the same size shell and similar iron so probably maybe 5 pds

This is my personal opinion out of the 25 50 and 100 the 50 stands out as being the most different
It is warmer more compressed squisher than
The 100 or even the 25 at volume
It still am Archon but I felt slightly different voicing

First, I haven't played a 50. But...with almost all heads, a 50 will never have the depth or sound as "big" as 100w. The reason many people, particularly high gain players, use a 100w is because of that. So even though most people don't use the volume of the 100w, they want it for the headroom. Usually you notice this as you turn the volume up. If you're playing quietly most of the time, it may be less noticeable.

That's not to say the 50 won't sound great or that he wouldn't maybe even like it better. All really depends on his tone goal and what he wants to hear/feel. Playing yours in 50w mode might at least give an approximation, even if the iron is different between the 50 and 100.

Edit: there is usually a difference in feel between 50 and 100. I won't try to comment a bunch on the 50, since I haven't played it. I do know that I prefer 100w mode on my head no matter what volume I'm playing at.

Bump old thread...

I always prefer the bigger vibe, feel and sound of a 100 watt amp!
Even at lower volumes, the 100 just sounds bigger to me.

I don't find the Archon has any more him than any other high gain alp!

I see comparison videos that say the 50 watt head is more aggressive and has more mid punch, while the 50 is less aggressive, has broader mids and more low end punch.

Which did your friend choose?

Last edited:
Any of you play the new Orange Rocker web MkIII?

My buddy has this in his studio and was comparing it to the Arxhon 100.

I had a chance to try it and it sounded killer for far rock and metal but I felt the Archon sounded meaner and bigger, if that makes sense? It's one of the amps I was considering before the Archon.

It sounds big, but Archon sounds meaner and more aggressive to me. Also, maybe tighter, too. We could get them sounding similar however.

Just thought I'd mention incase it was on anyone's radar.

And if I hear one more person say the Archon is buzzy or fuzzy in the gain, I'm going to scream, lol. No it's not.

Last edited:
100% agree. In fact, my next retube I'm going to try to make it a little brighter so that I can get more sizzle when I want it.

I had a guy tell me it was a fizzy and buzzy mess. I wanted to smack him.
Seriously? I bet that's what PRS was going for right? Fizzy mess! Get out of here, man. People crack me up! The amp sounds smooth to me.
The amp he played probably had a bad tube or two or his guitar or cab, sucked.

Bro, for the sizzle you desire....you could also use a pedal to do that. Thats a beautiful thing about thr Archon. It remind sme of my Bogner Shiva 20th in how well it takes pedals. It takes pedals well! I use a KSR Eros and JHS Bonsai.
Suhr Koko Boost, as well. You can use it as a clean pedal platform or blend pedals with the gain. Not all amps do that well.

Let us know what tubes you choose.

Back