PRS announces the high-gain Archon amplifier

CoreyT

PRS Addiction
Got two emails today, one from PRS, and one from Guitar Player magazine on a new high gain amp.

PRS announces the high-gain Archon amplifier
http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/prs-announces-the-high-gain-archon-amplifier/153634

prs_archon.jpg
amp_angle.jpg

Features and specifications include:

- Two Channels
- Four 6L6GC Power Tubes
- Six 12AX7 Preamp Tubes

- Volume, Treble, Middle, Bass, and Master Volume Controls for each channel
- Global Presence and Depth Controls
- Series Effects Loop
- Fixed Bias (Adjustable)
- 4, 8, 16 Ohm Selection
- Black Tolex with Charcoal Burst Maple Fascia (additional optional tolex coverings and maple fascia stains can be seen on PRS’s website)

The PRS Archon will be a featured product at the 2014 Winter NAMM show.

For full specifications, sound clips, and demo videos, visit www.prsguitars.com/archon. - See more at:
http://www.prsguitars.com/archon/

And the YouTube video:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish there was a lower wattage one offered.
Not all of us play on stage.
A nice 5 watt one would be great, kind of like my Blackstar HT5R-H.

Check out the H&K Grandmeister 36, Tubemeister 18, Engl Ironball or Mesa Recto-Verb 25. They all look awesome, but I'm leaning toward the Grandmeister or a KPA.

Back to the Archon for a moment, that has to be one of the very nicest sounding high gain amps I've ever heard!

I'm not a metal player, but I'd put one of those in my studio any day of the week. Good sounding heavy tones and a nice clean channel as a bonus?

That is a deal.

Whoever gets one of these first.....Jesse........we need to hear what the medium gain tones are in it, is it versatile enough to do METAL and then back off for a classic rock or 80's tone........if it is all that I need one........if it comes in a combo version eventually...........

Whoever gets one of these first.....Jesse........we need to hear what the medium gain tones are in it, is it versatile enough to do METAL and then back off for a classic rock or 80's tone........if it is all that I need one........if it comes in a combo version eventually...........

Medium gain? Anyone know what he's talking about here?

:tongue:

Medium gain? Anyone know what he's talking about here?

:tongue:
Maybe like an AC/DC crunch, or like Tony Iommi of Black Sabbath?
Nice tones, but not super metal like Pantera or other high gain groups, Metallica, etc?

They really sound like awesome amps at a great price. Unfortunately for me, it would be like a Ferrari I can't take out of the garage. I don't get enough opportunities to shake the walls at home.

Exactly........funny how the bar gets raised......when I started black sabbath was metal and now their tone is not near the heaviest but still kills.
Yes, some of my favorite tones are Angus Young and Tony Iommi.
They have lots of overdriven sound, but not super high gain and sustain like say Tremonti, Avenged Seven Fold, etc.
I like both sounds, but crunch, and the nice ringing sustain of Tremonti and Avenged.

I would like to see this amp offered up pretty much like my Carvin V3M.
50 watts, 22 watts, and 7 watts, all with the flip of a switch.
I can only run my Carvin on the 7 watt setting, and even then it is turned way down in my apartment as it can get loud and rattle stuff :D

Offer up this new amp in a lower wattage head and as a combo with a 1x12 in it.
Carvin also offer my V3M as a combo with a 1x12.

I would like to have this new PRS amp, but 50 to 100 watts is just to much overkill for me.
Gosh even my Blackstar HT5 at 5 watts is overkill in my place, I can barely turn it up.

Exactly........funny how the bar gets raised......when I started black sabbath was metal and now their tone is not near the heaviest but still kills.

Gain doesn't mean heavy. :top:

They really sound like awesome amps at a great price. Unfortunately for me, it would be like a Ferrari I can't take out of the garage. I don't get enough opportunities to shake the walls at home.

Neither do I.

Can't wait to jam on one of these! Love my Kemper but still have that love burning for a good tube amp, sucks I sold off most of my effects stuff but I could easily just snag a used G-Major II and be covered for everything I'd need! :D Hmmmm....

Can someone direct me to the pricing?

Back