PRS and Tremol-No?

andross182

Has anyone taken the plunge and tried one of these on their Core model? I find that I am starting to get into alternate tunings and unfortunately both my Custom 24 and Tremonti have floating bridges. Depending on the tuning this can go from unnoticeable to quite the angle change.

Anyone taken the plunge?

I bought one but I never installed it. In my last band my singer would play sometimes and when I'd do drop D on my trem guitar I could tell that I wasn't in tune with him anymore.

I'm the only guitar in my current band so I probably won't install it.

I had one on my CU24 and I loved it. A lot of advantages. Down-only mode is great for drop tunings and string changes. Fully locked would great for tuning to open E.

The only potential disadvantages are, I remember it being a pain to get out the couple of strings around the clamp. You can't use the backplate, if that matters. It was a bit fiddly to set up.

I had one on my custom 24 for a year. It was locked nearly all the time. I started using the trem more and more and finally just removed it a couple weeks ago. It works great for what it does but if you are going to use the trem a lot there is no reason to have it on there. It didn't hurt the tone and to my ears didn't help it. The cover fits fine though you lose access to the thumb screws to lock and unlock it.

I've got one on my DGT. It's fun being able to do drop D. Also, the attack is more pronounced. It gives it a faster response with less room. Great for rock.

Then you can just turn it off.

I generally like the sound of the unlocked bridge more at the moment but have gone through phases of each.

I had one on my Cu24 for about 2 months and then removed it. Now I just take another guitar for alternate tunings...one with a Stoptail.

I had one on my main 24 but later removed bcs I have other guitars that are dedicated to alternate tunings. It works great, I'd suggest it if your looking for that sort of thing.

Last edited:
I mostly stay in standard tuning but there are some times (or songs that I am learning) that being able to change tuning without totally throwing off the floating bridge would be nice.

I would just lock it so that its dive only or maybe even fixed...as long as the backplate can go back on anyway.

I have it on my Brent Mason signature, where the backplate is not recessed, so no problem there (didn't even realize it might not fit on a "normal" backplate)

It's hell to remove the spring from the trem block and move it to a different hole, though - it's in there so tight it's like it's welded on.

Had to go through two faulty units (there was play in the hinge part) before I got the third one which was fine.

I was meticulous about placing the claw right in the center between two string holes, so I don't have TOO many problems unloading and loading strings - but it is a little bit more fiddly than without.

In general, I've been staisfied with it.

Back