PRS and Gear Lust

It’s been tragic
CK_045PFirstPlaySwampAshAAACropped.JPG
I'm guessing you sit and play that thing for so long that you need padded bike shorts to keep you comfortable? :oops:

Once you reach a certain point, new gear doesn’t necessarily make you sound better, just different.

But it’s those differences that are so interesting to explore that make the whole gear thing pleasurable.

The latest gear just helps to inspire you in your artistry!

Just remember that with Gear Lust... you're just one auto-correct away from becoming a Gear Slut . :D

Or to suffer from Rage Lust

It’s been tragic
CK_045PFirstPlaySwampAshAAACropped.JPG

Nice legs! Well I can’t keep giving @DreamTheaterRules all the attention, he’ll get big-headed!

Once you reach a certain point, new gear doesn’t necessarily make you sound better, just different.

But it’s those differences that are so interesting to explore that make the whole gear thing pleasurable.

EVH Quote: "If you sound the same, they'll hate you. Problem is, if you sound too different, they'll hate you."

Not sure Eddie was correct, but history is often rife with formulaic music until something truly new and invigorating comes along...which was poo-pooed until it gained some acceptance from its own niche of fans...

EVH Quote: "If you sound the same, they'll hate you. Problem is, if you sound too different, they'll hate you."

Not sure Eddie was correct, but history is often rife with formulaic music until something truly new and invigorating comes along...which was poo-pooed until it gained some acceptance from its own niche of fans...

Guitar music is becoming cliche...a lot of people are doing it, trying to be Jimmy Page on stage...

Gear Lust...

I've never been severely bitten by pedal GAS or amp GAS...or even guitar GAS really. I have been severely bitten by PRS GAS. I only have three guitars that aren't PRS and only two amps that aren't PRS (Mesa), but I have a lot of both amps and guitars that are. I just found what works for me and bought as many of them as I felt I needed. Now I'm in coasting mode. Something's going to have to tick off a lot of boxes for me to open the wallet again. I'm not super GASSY right now...:rolleyes:

I just posted about my gear lust, long satiated. I thought I was done. But they opened a new GC here in Honolulu, so Player Series Tele it was. Two weeks ago, for no apparent reason other than lust, I bought a VOX AC-15 C1. No needs, no requirements, no band, no jams...just lust. A new PRS was slightly out of contention, but crack on the corner is still crack on the corner....;-) I am in the fortunate position of all of it being paid in full.

I'm always tempted with things that MIGHT make all the difference in the world.

On a different thread I had asked if the brass spring claws made any difference and nobody responded. I'm kind of thankful for that!
I have them on an SE and a CE. Not the difference I had hoped for.

I am currently working through a bout of GAS over PRS. I don't own one yet. My primary guitar is an Alembic Further, which is just an incredible beast of an instrument which I bought 13 years ago (it is the last electric I've purchased).

Lately I've become interested in complementing it with something different. 2 PUPs, non active, shorter scale length, most likely 22 frets, so leaning heavily towards a 594 or maybe a Paul's. I still have a few months left before I will pounce, so still pondering.

All that said, my teacher as a kid had a pre factory PRS that he wouldn't let me touch. They've intrigued me since then.

I go in and out of that "just one more" mentality. A few years ago I had 10-11 guitars and two amps. I said this is ridiculous, you're a hobby player, thin this stuff down. I did just that, sold everything I didn't play regularly and had 3 guitars, 2 amps and 3 pedals. After going through some tough stuff I am now back to 12(!) guitars and 4 amps and who knows how many pedals. WTH!! Within the past year I purchased 2 PRS, a used DGT and new 594, and two more amps, a BadCat Black Cat 15 and a Friedman PT-20. ALL are great pieces of gear and they all make me sound good, but the sad reality is we just moved to another house and I don't room for everything so it's back to selling off the lesser used gear. o_O I guess I'll learn one of these years.

I go in and out of that "just one more" mentality. A few years ago I had 10-11 guitars and two amps. I said this is ridiculous, you're a hobby player, thin this stuff down. I did just that, sold everything I didn't play regularly and had 3 guitars, 2 amps and 3 pedals. After going through some tough stuff I am now back to 12(!) guitars and 4 amps and who knows how many pedals. WTH!! Within the past year I purchased 2 PRS, a used DGT and new 594, and two more amps, a BadCat Black Cat 15 and a Friedman PT-20. ALL are great pieces of gear and they all make me sound good, but the sad reality is we just moved to another house and I don't room for everything so it's back to selling off the lesser used gear. o_O I guess I'll learn one of these years.

Don’t worry, you are helping the economy!

Yeah, I usually lust for some PRS. One purchase cured me for quite awhile, but I lust again. I'm of a rare species around here that hasn't got a new guitar for 2-3 years now. Not sure when I'll be able to get something new, but will it be better? No, probably just different.

At the moment, PRS is fueling “exchange lust.” I’ve been selling other guitars and replacing them with Paul’s handiwork. Three so far this year; a Taylor, a Carvin, and a Gibson. It’s like Agent Smith is sticking his hand into them and they become a PRS.

I’m not complaining, it has been an improvement in every instance.

I only have mild gas at the moment my Special Semi Hollow and the 2 Silver Skys ( along with an Amp and Cab )
I am feeling pretty set at the moment ( 11 guitars ( 8 PRS ) , 3 amps ( 1 PRS ) , 2 pedal boards )
Like any addict I am liable to slip at any moment my last purge has me thinking more about playing less about collecting.
I also have a set of pickups on the way to take one back to original so its like a new guitar day

Last edited:
I only have mild gas at the moment my Special Semi Hollow and the 2 Silver Skys ( along with an Amp and Cab )
I am feeling pretty set at the moment ( 11 guitars ( 8 PRS ) , 3 amps ( 1 PRS ) , 2 pedal boards )
Like any addict I am liable to slip at any moment my last purge has me thinking more about playing less about collecting.
I also have a set of pickups on the way to take one back to original so its like a new guitar day
Pickups and amps are fun ways to change things up. I somehow went 2019 without a guitar purchase... But did get an axefx, 2 sets of bare knuckles, and new studio monitors for playing at home.
I'm also feeling pretty set right now - it's a nice feeling, not sure I've even been this happy with current gear.

Back