PRS and Gear Lust

Vinker202

Are PRS guitars fueling the gear lust for you?
Do you think you can get a better tone with that one next thing you will buy?
My wife just set me a monthly allowance and I already burned through 3 years of it :) Albeit on 3 year payment plan...well, just wanted to get your thoughts on controlling new amp/pedal/guitar purchases. Thanks

No. Dont need another right now.
Better tone? Maybe. Never can be sure until it gets played.

FWIW,
I did celebrate a NGD this month, and posted it up at every guitar forum; except for the one where I felt it would be unwelcome.

Yep, they are the main gear lust that I have. Always looking to get better tones, but a lot of that end has been me trying to be a better player.

In terms of pure "tone" it doesn't make that much difference, and that word is SO SO subjective, because it's all opinion and the way people interpret sound. I haven't had the opportunity to play many high end PRS, but for me, the differences between the lines were not that great once you get out of the SE Standards. Not all PRS' are for doctors and corksniffers, but they are pretty much all good. You really cannot go wrong with 95% of them out there, SE Custom and above.

-k

I think its a case of some sort of cognitive failure...I get high from jamming and playing guitar, and I think somehow with more gear and better instruments it can be even better. It's kind of like drug. I just haven't reached that point where I say this is the tone I will get and that's it. Its too much fun. My wife doesn't understand it, why do I keep changing equipment, this quest for gear is like entertaining. :) I just hope I don't go bankrupt soon, GC is having used gear on 36 months it was like wow, its time for a new amp. :)

Are PRS guitars fueling the gear lust for you?
Do you think you can get a better tone with that one next thing you will buy?

Once I got to the place where I realized I had every guitar and amp tonal capability that I would ever need or want, I then began acquiring and accumulating multiples of the same thing over and over.
I like Custom 24's, now I have 4 of them.
I like McCarty 594's, now I have 4 of them. (basically... I count my SC245 as a 594 because it is VERY close to being one.)
I like amps made by PRS and MESA, so now I have many of them, as well as a token Marshall stack just to be able to say that I have one.
I still have the "Gear Acquisition Syndrome" addiction but now I've gotta go day to day, dealing with it by telling myself that I don't want or need any more guitars, 12 step program style.

This is a good one...Better Tone, probably not, honestly. (remember: basement dweller here)…
I think I sound pretty much the same on all of 'em.

Also: (See Les and Hangar18 above.) PRS is def the first thing I search when hitting the web sites.
They are Fun, Rewarding, and the next piece might inspire me to approach something in a "different" way.

I have a very addictive personality...PRS Guitars...Spector and PRS basses, DR Z amps...
and when searching the sites, inevitably, one of those rears its ugly head at a good price!!!
Convincing myself I need it is never too difficult.

Long Live G.A.S.

I believe that Mr. PRS is a very crafty character, in as much as he builds something so pretty that people are gonna be seduced no matter what. Who wouldn't want one of those gorgeous 10-tops sitting in their den? On the other hand, the quality of the build is more - way more - than sufficient to justify the purchase. Is 4Gs excessive? Absolutely. But compared to some of the LPs I see on the 'other' site? Not even close. Does every noodler on the planet need something so expensive? Probably not, but life is short and cruel and often times incredibly sad. It can also be incredibly beautiful (as long as we stand against the clownish climate deniers amongst us!!!) and I have no issue with paying Mr. PRS to own a piece of the beauty he has added to my world.

My condolences.
It’s been tragic
CK_045PFirstPlaySwampAshAAACropped.JPG

CK_123Archtop.JPG

CK_151BabyDragonDetail.JPG

CK_159BurlHollowbodyBodyAAA.JPG

CK_48ArielMermaid.JPG

Back