PRS and Flat frets on top

Rhandy

Hi .
Is the second PRS core Line I Buy.
First is one CU 24 korina neck and body.
Second one Double Cut Mccarty 594.
Frets on both are been fret dressed by factory. But I'm asking why PRS don't crown the frets. I know how to do a fret dressing. But after level the frets. We have do crowning again for have round surface on top.

Yep! I had to reprofile the frets on both my CU24 and 513. This makes for better intonation and smoother string bends. I don’t know why PRS leave them slightly flat.

I had to go take a closer look at mine for this because they never felt flat at all. Especially compared to my GibsonUSA Les Paul's school bus tops which I had professionally rounded and now feel amazing and ring out forever.

I'd be curious what the thinking is behind the PRS shape. I am sure this is exactly how they are intended to be, but I'd love to know some of the reasoning behind it.
My guess is that they are the perfect mix between intonation accuracy and preventing fast wear/divots if they were 'pointier'.

I have buy one PRS McCarty SC 594 wood Library and I have 5 higher frets. Incridible !!!
My McCarty 594 DC have all frets level.
But I have to pay 350$ for ship guitar to US and wait a couple of months.I prefer pay 200$ to my guitar tech and he makes one amazing fretdressing.
Not all PRS have so good fretjob as people claim in youtube videos. QC have to be much better!!! I´m really disappointed and maybe I never buy other PRS, because I can´t try it in my country I always have to import it.
In 3 PRS Guitars all Core, only one comes with frets level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Rhandy to here of you bad experiences with your PRS guitars they are very rare, if you got your PRS from a dealer they should make it right IMHO.
For the record I have had over 20 PRS without a single fret issue, of all my guitars I have only had one issue and that was a finish issue that was handled under warranty.
You dealer should contact PTC and arrange to have the guitar sorted for you.
best of luck

The problem is pay more than 350$ for sent guitar to US. If I fix the problem with my luthier for less than 200$.
Other real problem is Quality control . In one guitar more espensive than 5000$ nobody put a fret rocker and check it fret by fret. Prs guitars are much pretty but is not truth not have issues. Have sometimes the same issues Gibson have.

Does it buzz excessively?
Is more on G string.
But after fret dressing and crown the frets. Guitar is awesome. I Always ask why Prs make the fretdressing as they made. See youtube videos. No neck jig. Not recrown the frets after level. Guitars like prs should be Plek ed

Is more on G string.
But after fret dressing and crown the frets. Guitar is awesome. I Always ask why Prs make the fretdressing as they made. See youtube videos. No neck jig. Not recrown the frets after level. Guitars like prs should be Plek ed
The frets are crowned after leveling at the factory.

Nah man, Gibson take fretwork issues to another dimension.

Very few mass producers do full on fret dresses. I had my latest PRS plek'd as part of the purchase process, it's the same to me as simply having an experienced tech do a really good job.

Every other guitar I have bought I had levelled and dressed by my tech. I agree maybe it should be part of the build but it does add considerable labour time, and PLEK machines are very expensive and time consuming themselves. Crowning is kinda to taste too

I love reading fiction, but this isn’t even good bad fiction...

Not fiction. PRS does not crown their frets like other manufacturers. They are left somewhat flat on top. I'm not saying this is a negative. But, the lack of crown on PRS frets is fact. This is obviously intentional.

I refer to the fiction that PRS guitars could have better intonation and the hyperbole that more than a few PRS leave the factory with poor fret jobs, frets not leveled and bad quality control.

The notion that PRS guitars need to be PLEKed before they are acceptable is hogwash.

The idea that Gibson quality control is anywhere near as good as PRS quality control is the best laugh I’ve had today - and it’s even April Fool’s Day!

Not fiction. PRS does not crown their frets like other manufacturers. They are left somewhat flat on top. I'm not saying this is a negative. But, the lack of crown on PRS frets is fact. This is obviously intentional.

Then you know...there's a reason for that...;)

I get new prs guitar an rip frets out...Now I play off plateau left between where frets used to be...Intonation is little shaky,but sound is big‼️

I've owned probably 10-12 PRS guitars, and they have all had the most perfect fret jobs of any guitar I've ever seen, except 1. My latest Artist P22 had a high fret, and the ends were a little sharp. BUT.... over time it has acclimated to my climate and the sharp fret ends are almost gone. I tapped down the high fret an no more issues, so I think most of them were due to low humidity issues rather than craftsmanship... the guitar is 6 years old... LOL

A lot of vintage historic frets look quite flat on top. They do have a very slight curve, but it's barely visible to the naked eye except up close with the right lighting. I had the same worry with a japanese lawsuit les paul. I had to replace the frets and was not sure what to use because of the odd flat profile on the freshest non worn parts of the frets.

I've had 6 new PRS guitars over the years and each had IMPECCABLE fretwork straight from the factory. In comparison, I also had a new 2004 Historic R8 that while it sounded and looked the part, the fretwork was nowhere near the quality of PRS, nor were any of my other Gibson's or Fender Guitars over the years remotely close to PRS' work. The only other brand whose fretwork is comparable to PRS IMO, is Tom Anderson Guitarworks. I had two Droptops and both had stellar factory fretjobs.
YMMV...

Back