Prs amplifiers really worth the money?

Every time someone talks about the Archon being a fire breather, I reference this video that Tosca posted back in the summer. I love this clip, and it really opened my eyes to what you can do with it.

I swear I can hear reverb on the clean side but the author states that there are no pedals.
I despise pedals on amp tone demos because I want to hear exactly what the AMP can do by itself.

Every time someone talks about the Archon being a fire breather, I reference this video that Tosca posted back in the summer. I love this clip, and it really opened my eyes to what you can do with it.

Isn't that Aristotle's piano? ;)

Can't say I've heard an PRS sound amazing on the overdrive channel. I do like the cleans I've heard, but nothing a Mesa, Two Rock or Morgan can't do. I've heard Mayer's V9 live and it was very good - but I thought his Two Rock sounded better. Sorry, I'm in the "meh" camp. Love the guitars though.

Well, I've got a Mesa and have had 6 or 7 others in the past; I've had 5 Two-Rocks (3 Onyx models, and two Custom Reverb Sigs, v1 and v2).

None of them could do the things my DG30 and HXDA do.

And my DG30 and HXDA don't do the things that the others do. They're different.

They're entirely apples-to-oranges, made to do different things. So, meh to your post for not grokking the essential differences in concept. ;)

I'm a new convert to PRS guitars. I play a tweed 5e3 deluxe. I had a Rivera, but it was too much work to get the tone that I get from my tweed. What I like about the 5e3 is that you plug in and dime it and ride your volume. Is there a prs amp that gets that? Ideally I'd like something a bit louder that still gets the breakup and compression a 5e3 has?

I'm a new convert to PRS guitars. I play a tweed 5e3 deluxe. I had a Rivera, but it was too much work to get the tone that I get from my tweed. What I like about the 5e3 is that you plug in and dime it and ride your volume. Is there a prs amp that gets that? Ideally I'd like something a bit louder that still gets the breakup and compression a 5e3 has?

I believe the Sweet 16 was based on a tweed circuit. Or try the "30" amp.

The Sweet 16 is what you should look for, not the Sweet 16+, which is a 40w hotrod version. It's a great amp! Not sure I would classify it in the tweed caregory, though. Doug Sewell "nods" toward certain classic amp elements, but other than the 25th Anniversary, I don't think he has built a clone of anything. These are amps of sublime caliber.

I swear I can hear reverb on the clean side but the author states that there are no pedals.
I despise pedals on amp tone demos because I want to hear exactly what the AMP can do by itself.
Definitely slap back echo on the clean demos. (not a deal breaker) :)

The PRS DG30 amp is the one designed with David Grissom. I have one, and it's a wonderful amp, with a very Tweed-like tone, only it can be even more sophisticated if dialed in that way.

It's a single-channel amp, and the best way to use it is to dime the Master volume, set the amp volume with the Volume control, and control the gain, volume, everything from your guitar.

If you like a Plexi type of sound, the HXDA works pretty much the same way, but the Master volume is a little more flexible at lower volumes. My HXDA is my #1. This amp was designed by examining the actual amp Duane Allman played on "Live At The Fillmore," with the added fillip of being able to be switched from its front panel into a few parts changes based on one of Eric Johnson's Superleads.

The only drawback is that they're fairly expensive, but I can't live without either one. Best amps I've ever owned, and that's a lot of fine amps.

The HXDA is the nicest sounding and feeling plexi clone that I have played. It responds really well to changes in attack.

I think the Archon series are the best available because of the way they sound and the way they are made.

They have a great high gain sound. (I guess you could get that with a Marshall.)

They also have a really great clean tone. (I guess you could get that with a Mesa Boogie.)

But the build quality of the Archons is head and shoulders above Marshall, Mesa Boogie and, even Fender. Try popping the hood some time and you will see the tube sockets and jacks are wired to the components. They are not mounted directly to a pcb board the way Marshall and Mesa Boogie does it. And you will also see the Archon is mostly point to point hand wired. There is nothing else in this price range that is made that way.

I can live with a Fender. At least they have fly wires attaching the tube sockets to the board. But the PRS Archon is the best for the money. IMHO nothing else comes close.

Back