PRS/Amplifier Combinations

The only time I found it DIFFICULT to "match" a PRS to an amp was when I had older PRS CE24s with HFS/VB pickups. Those guitars just never wanted to cooperate with my Rivera M/S amps/cabs. Once I found that I dig #7 and 57/08 pickups, I have had no issues matching amps to guitars. It just comes down to my massive hatred for HFS/VB pickups, lol. Regarding amps, I tend to prefer Class A amps these days (when I use an amp at all). The Rivera Venus 6 is a favorite, and I am all about the Bad Cat or Matchless amps.

I have seen, locally, TONS of guys who use PRS CU24s with Mesa amps and it seems to be a combo that works VERY well. There is another local guy that uses a Hollowbody through an AC-30. His tone is amazing.

I second the Mesa recommendation. I've owned and been around Mesas for years and there is something about PRS guitars in to Mesas that always sounds special to me.

In that price range, i'd get a used Fender Hot Rod or Blues deluxe and upgrade the speaker.
Or maybe a used Marshall DSL40 combo.

Not familiar enough with PRS amps, but that price range, don't think you'd find one.

I use mostly fender/marshall derivatives and a boutique 'greer' that's kinda marshall/vox hybrid.

That's a good choice though too, Used Vox AC15.

I don’t own one, but I would have a good look at the Fender Bassbreaker 15. I’ve played them a few times in shops and am always impressed, they remind me a lot of my PRS Custom 50 tonally, which is a good thing. Full bodied cleans, good rock distortion and blues crunch. Also, the new Marshall Origin amps are very interesting, I haven’t played one, but can’t imagine them sounding bad with a PRS, or much else. I had an Egnater Tweaker for a while and got some good tones - I would say the imitation of famous amps fell a little short of authenticity, but coming at it from a standpoint of just using the options to get a good sound, it was a nice amp. Actually, I had the 15 head with a separate cab, different brand with a 1x12, greenback-ish speaker, and the 40 combo, I didn’t care for the speaker or the cabinet of the combo, it sounded boxy.

Of course, you can’t go wrong with a Mesa, as long as you’re aware of what a certain model sounds like and if it matches your desires, the discontinued models pop up used all the time.

If you want to get into a PRS amp, you’ll spend more, but they’re worth it. Great tones, superior build even on the import models, and much better stock tubes than other budget amps. I have a Custom 50, which has been my main amp for a few years now, it has a fantastic clean channel including for use as a pedal platform, the gain channel I can’t say reminds me of any other amp, it is its own thing, somewhere between modern and vintage. And, of course, the big new thing (or should I say small) is the MT15. If you like heavier tones, it’s an unbelievable amp, and quite affordable. You’ll need a cab, and a reverb pedal, but it’s worth it. I’ve found the clean channel to be extremely close to my Custom 50 (that’s high praise), and the gain channel is all the saturated, cascading goodness one could want. Or, if you want a combo, the Archon 25 or 50 are out there too, people are saying very similar to the MT15. I’ve not tried one but they’re a big hit.

Do any of these amps that you mention have a delay option?

I have a feeling that everyone will starting throwing things at me for bringing this up but the modelers nowadays are a great match with PRS too. For the longest time, I was a hardcore devotee of my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster until it started having intermittent tube issues and the tone inconsistency was starting to become an issue, not to mention the physical strain of lugging those beasts around from gig to gig. So against my better judgment, I went out and tried a Kemper PowerRack profiling amp and I was blown away. I always considered myself somewhat sort of a tube amp snob for many years but all that disappeared when I played one. I really could not hear or feel any difference between the Rectifier and Kemper after I profiled my amp into it and did a bit of tweaking to the EQ. Also, you can get tones of amps that are out of your price range or availability. Case in point, here is a sound test I did with my PRS SVN and the Kemper using an Archon 100 sim: https://soundcloud.com/angrydeli/kemper-sound-test

Don't get me wrong, I will always love tube amps and prefer them over any modeler but the Kemper has seriously turned me on to the sonic possibilities it has to offer.

In that price range, i'd get a used Fender Hot Rod or Blues deluxe and upgrade the speaker.

Not familiar enough with PRS amps, but that price range, don't think you'd find one.

I use mostly fender/marshall derivatives and a boutique 'greer' that's kinda marshall/vox hybrid.

I definitely second the DSL recommendation.

I have a feeling that everyone will starting throwing things at me for bringing this up but the modelers nowadays are a great match with PRS too. For the longest time, I was a hardcore devotee of my Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster until it started having intermittent tube issues and the tone inconsistency was starting to become an issue, not to mention the physical strain of lugging those beasts around from gig to gig. So against my better judgment, I went out and tried a Kemper PowerRack profiling amp and I was blown away. I always considered myself somewhat sort of a tube amp snob for many years but all that disappeared when I played one. I really could not hear or feel any difference between the Rectifier and Kemper after I profiled my amp into it and did a bit of tweaking to the EQ. Also, you can get tones of amps that are out of your price range or availability. Case in point, here is a sound test I did with my PRS SVN and the Kemper using an Archon 100 sim: https://soundcloud.com/angrydeli/kemper-sound-test

Don't get me wrong, I will always love tube amps and prefer them over any modeler but the Kemper has seriously turned me on to the sonic possibilities it has to offer.
^ that’s me. :D Replace “Rectifier” with “MkIII” and it’s exactly me!

Now, whenever I get amp GAS, I wait for Michael Britt to profile it and I can have the closest facsimile for $35. Now I’m really looking forward to band practice today to blast my new “Crank n Go” pack. :cool:

Forget an amp with delay. Unless you're going to buy a modeling amp with a boatload of effects built in, delay is just not an option you're going to find on any "traditional" style amp. Reverb yes, delay not going to happen. Delay shouldn't be a deciding factor in what amp you buy.

Do any of these amps that you mention have a delay option?

No, all of those amps are 100% tube, except perhaps the Bassbreaker having a digital reverb, IIRC.

Really, if you want delay (and other effects) to be part of your amp, and not have to buy pedals, as mentioned above, I would look at a modeling amp. Something of the newest generation regardless of brand, they've finally gotten to the point that they're legitimate contenders, IMO. Boss Katana, Yamaha THR are often highly praised. If you go that route, don't skimp, that's where you get crappy amps.

The only time I found it DIFFICULT to "match" a PRS to an amp was when I had older PRS CE24s with HFS/VB pickups. Those guitars just never wanted to cooperate with my Rivera M/S amps/cabs. Once I found that I dig #7 and 57/08 pickups, I have had no issues matching amps to guitars. It just comes down to my massive hatred for HFS/VB pickups, lol. Regarding amps, I tend to prefer Class A amps these days (when I use an amp at all). The Rivera Venus 6 is a favorite, and I am all about the Bad Cat or Matchless amps.

I have seen, locally, TONS of guys who use PRS CU24s with Mesa amps and it seems to be a combo that works VERY well. There is another local guy that uses a Hollowbody through an AC-30. His tone is amazing.

I've heard good comments about Mesas, but they are a bit pricey. Even used ones seem high to me. But, that's probably because they are such good amps. I've never played through one. I need to put that on my to do list. Thanks!

Sounds like I should save my pennies for a more expensive amp! I tried a Katana and didn't like the tone. It sounded a bit boxy to me. And I can't stand the 100 million settings on many of the solid state amps. I never can remember which setting to choose and where in the samhill the setting I want is. Also, takes time to dial up a particular setting. I'm sold on tube amps for now. I do like the great reverb and distortion I get from my Blackstar. Someone told me that Blackstars are "not quite a Marshall" and "not quite a Fender" concerning tone. The tone sounds good to me with the Blackstar and my PRS.

Your Kemper sound test sounds great to me! I've heard great things about Kempers too, but they are beyond my funding capability for now.

No, all of those amps are 100% tube, except perhaps the Bassbreaker having a digital reverb, IIRC.

Really, if you want delay (and other effects) to be part of your amp, and not have to buy pedals, as mentioned above, I would look at a modeling amp. Something of the newest generation regardless of brand, they've finally gotten to the point that they're legitimate contenders, IMO. Boss Katana, Yamaha THR are often highly praised. If you go that route, don't skimp, that's where you get crappy amps.

I've had several modelers and really like tube amps better. I think I would be happier with a tube amp and a few pedals.

Take your s2 to a local guitar shop and start plugging it into different amps that’s available... this way, you can find the right sound your looking for instead of getting advise that might not work for you...

Here's an alternative solution whilst you save your pennies for a more expensive amp (you're probably going to go down this route at some point whatever!)

If you're essentially happy with the sounds of the Blackstar, but just want a better quality of tone, how about upgrading the valves. Most relatively cheap valve amps (and a lot of more expensive ones) come with pretty rubbish valves and upgrading them to better quality tubes can make quite a difference to the quality of your tone. It can be like taking cotton wool out of your ears with the increase in clarity.

I can recommend Watford valves, specifically their Harma range. I'd steer clear of any NOS (new old stock) valves as these will be expensive and probably not necessary for yourself.
Looks like the Blackstar needs 2x ECC83 and 2x EL34.

I'd say 2x ECC83 HARMA STR DR250 high gain or maybe the ECC83/7025 HARMA DR250 which should be a low noise version of the same
and 2x EL34 HARMA Retro. Make sure you select matched pair.
They should ship anywhere in the world.

None of these fall within the $500-600 used price range, but I use

Matchless Lightning for clean, chimy, Vox-like tones
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 for heavier, higher gain tones
PRS 2-Channel H (20 watt version) for Fender Deluxe tones with additional available gain
Genz Benz Shenandoah for the piezo output on my P22 and acoustics
Just acquired a PRS MT15 with matching cab and have not played around with it too much (replacing a Marshall DSL40C)
My pedal board is fairly simple with a few distortion/overdrive pedals, a compressor and Eventide H9 for effects

I have a mesa 5 50 express plus, peavey valve king 100 watt head w/marshall 212 cab, & music man 112 65 and I can get any sound I like out of any of my PRS'S no matter what amp I use. Of course it took me 25 years to figure it out. Point being do as most have recommended, take your main guitar to a couple different music stores and really get into in/out of amps you like. 9 times out of 10 your first impression will be the one that works

Back