PRS amp modeling?

Yeah.....on the bright side, I am thinking about turning it into a nice planter for the wife's flowers.
giphy.gif

I lent it to Sergio to check out. He gave it back to me one afternoon at Rider’s. I put it in the back of my pickup because the guitars were in the backseat. In my rush to get home, and take care of the pooches, I spaced off that it was in the bed of my truck. It spent the night there, in a pounding rain storm :oops:

I lent it to Sergio to check out. He gave it back to me one afternoon at Rider’s. I put it in the back of my pickup because the guitars were in the backseat. In my rush to get home, and take care of the pooches, I spaced off that it was in the bed of my truck. It spent the night there, in a pounding rain storm :oops:

Oooooops!

Yeah.....on the bright side, I am thinking about turning it into a nice planter for the wife's flowers.

You could make it into a drinks cabinet!:p

My MT15 profiles were free via rig exchange, and aren't the greatest. Which ones are you using?
Mine were also from the free exchange but I'm using them as my clean and slightly overdriven tones. Admittedly, they aren't earth shattering but since Kemper finally released the Editor yesterday, I was able to go in there and refine them some more.

I was hoping that in the future, PRS would have its own Iridium style box that would emulate their tones, amps, and cabinets in much the same way. I took a look at the Kempers on Sweetwater and wow, at $1700, I could buy an Iriudium and have money left over for a used PRS. Unfortunately since I recently bought an S2, the Slo, and now the Revv G3, it’s money that I don’t have.

-k

I've used a KPA regarding modeling Archon tones. I was happy how they turned out:

Apart from those and what the Helix has to offer, PRS did have their stuff as some Waves amp sims. Haven't heard anyone booing about those, so that's worth noting I suppose.

I've got the 3 amps from Waves. The Blue Sierra V9 is pretty incredible. The Dallas sounds just like a Dallas and I haven't played an Archon in real life, so I can't compare, but it sounds like a good modern amp... I got the pack on sale for $15-20... Well worth the money.

I've got the 3 amps from Waves. The Blue Sierra V9 is pretty incredible. The Dallas sounds just like a Dallas and I haven't played an Archon in real life, so I can't compare, but it sounds like a good modern amp... I got the pack on sale for $15-20... Well worth the money.

I have them and reviewed them a while back.

They’re very good models. The Dallas and Archon don’t sound quite real to me, but so what. They’re great scratch pads for ideas.

The Dallas and Archon don’t sound quite real to me, but so what. They’re great scratch pads for ideas.

Just curious - and you may have discussed this in the past and I missed it (or forgot) - what is it that you hear (or don't hear) that makes them not sound real to you?

Just curious - and you may have discussed this in the past and I missed it (or forgot) - what is it that you hear (or don't hear) that makes them not sound real to you?

This is very hard to describe in words; as Frank Zappa once said, talking about music is like dancing about architecture.

A real amp has a certain three-dimensionality and notes have "weight". The attack portion of the note has a certain impact as well. It sits well in a mix with real instruments and vocals. This three dimensionality carries over until the note really decays.

The models fall a little short in these characteristics. For me, using a modeler isn't worth the trouble, unless it's late at night and I need to sketch out a part. I'd rather just turn on an amp, and record the real thing. It's faster, and in the long run saves me a lot of time and effort trying to make a model work sonically.

All you have to do to verify these sonic differences is to lay down a few tracks, some with a real amp, some with a model, and put them in a mix together with real drums, bass and vocals.

You'll see that they occupy a different sonic space.

Back