PRS amp for creamy blues

horax

Think John Mayer tone.

I can't afford the JM PRS amp (who can, really?)...I'm buying used, want to spend under $800.
What's the best they have to offer?

I thought my Custom 50 was great but a little TOO fat/smooth. Then the guy I sold it too said the bias was way off and kept telling me how great it sounded once he adjusted that. I’d still say it could do that when biased properly.

The "H" is about $800 used. I'd go there. I got my Custom 50 for $600 but that's hard to do (and it needs a little work which is why I found it for less). The "H" is probably your most likely amp find for that cash. I traded for one of my SE50's and I had only $300 in the trade. They are great blues amps but they usually run abut $800 as well. If you are willing to be patient and search, you can find a deal. They are out there.

Custom 30s, Texaplex’s, and Dallas II heads have all been selling in your price range.

There was a “C” amp, with Cinemag transformers, and an “H” amp with Heyboer transformers. Transformers all behave a bit differently from one another, and very much affect the tone of an amp (or for that matter, a mic preamp, recording console, microphone, and many other audio things that need transformers).

For example, the highly-prized vintage Neve preamplifiers were built around Carnhill transformers, a British company.

In any case, transformers add color and character to the tone of audio gear, and unlike some solid state amps, tube amps require transformers in order to pass audio.

Needs to be a combo.
There is a 2 Channel H up on Reverb under your target. Keep looking around, you may find more options elsewhere or later. e.g. GC has several used 2 Ch H combo amps right around your limit or a bit higher. So that is a typical price point, right now.

I am not familiar with the Sonzera, but perhaps that also could fit your bill, and you could buy it new at your budget?

EDIT: Oh, and one question that always nags at me:

What do you consider to be "creamy blues"? I find that term to be very non-definitive.

EDIT2: e.g.:
http://blog.sonicbids.com/how-to-ma...creamy-5-more-confusing-audio-terms-explained

Last edited:
What do you consider to be "creamy blues"? I find that term to be very non-definitive.

EDIT2: e.g.:
http://blog.sonicbids.com/how-to-ma...creamy-5-more-confusing-audio-terms-explained

Great question, really.

I have an idea of creamy tone in my head, and no doubt everyone’s idea is different! One famous comment is that talking about music is like dancing about architecture.

I’ll describe my idea of creamy tone in audio terms instead of food terms:

My creamy tone has a lower midrange amplitude increase of about 3-5 decibels between 300-500 Hz, no sharp upper midrange peak in amplitude except for a couple of dB resonant peak where the frequency begins to roll off (gives the tone a vocal quality), and a gentle frequency roll-off beginning very gradually at 1-2 KHz to the upper useful frequency limit of the speaker (usually around 5 kHz), where it’s down by as much as 10-15 dB. However, there is a harmonic overtone structure still audible due to the gentleness of the roll-off.

Since the frequency roll-off is gradual, there’s detail, but the sound quality is not full of unpleasant high frequency peaks. The lower midrange bump gives it a smooth, pleasant quality that balances out upper mid or high frequency overtones that can sound shrill if unsupported by the lower mids. The upper midrange roll-off creates a sound people often call warm.

I’ll call this sound creamy, rich, warm, etc.

Creamy = do the right things with the guitar, pedals and amp, the put it through Alnico speakers.

Not a bad plan!

As soon as the amp goes into a little overdrive, the tubes are going to generate more lower mids and roll off a bit of high end anyway, and the sine wave clips into something closer to a square wave. So right there, you’re good.

Neck pickups also help, though you can get creaminess from a bridge pickup, too.

I like creamy tones that sizzle a bit when pushed. That usually calls for a 6V6 amp in my book. Dial the guitar volume back a bit, setup a FET boost in front with low gain, dial the tone back to your sweet spot and dream away, man.

I'm able to get the creamy blue tone from my Sonzera 20 on the clean channel with Lovepedal Amp11 and LP with Classic 57's running around 7 (never dimed).

Due to having all our gigs cancelled over the next 6 weeks, I decided we should play for the neighbors on our front porch. When we started, Sue from around the corner showed up with her wineglass full.After an hour, the street and sidewalks had a decent crowd of about 30.

I used my H head into the Jensen MOD 12” in a beat up old cabinet. I started with the Tele because at our last practice I was getting the Robben Ford Tele/ Dumble tone. It didn’t work for me on the porch, do I grabbed my PRS Gold Top McCarty. Bingo! I got a fatter tone with more of the Duane Allman vibe, just sweet and delicious to my ears. I misplaced my channel switching pedal in the move from rehearsal so I stuck with the drive channel: gain and master at 12. I used the volume pot to clean it up for Rhythm and wide open it sang.

Last edited:
Due to having all our gigs cancelled over the next 6 weeks, I decided we should play for the neighbors on our front porch. When we started, Sue from around the corner showed up with her wineglass full.After an hour, the street and sidewalks had a decent crowd of about 30.

I used my H head into the Jensen MOD 12” in a beat up old cabinet. I started with the Tele because at our last practice I was getting the Robben Ford Tele/ Dumble tone. It didn’t work for me on the porch, do I grabbed my PRS Gold Top McCarty. Bingo! I got a fatter tone with more of the Duane Allman vibe, just sweet and delicious to my ears. I misplaced my channel switching pedal in the move from rehearsal so I stuck with the drive channel: Piegan and master at 12. I used the volume pot to clean it up for Rhythm and wide open it sang.
Nicely done sir.

Sounds like a great way to share the music and maintain that social distortion...I mean distancing.

That is a total score on an H for $500!

I gotta ask: Which knob on the amp governs the "piegan?" Is that like a vegan, but only eats pie, 'cause I've been looking for a socially ostracized group name for my person dietary beliefs for a while now.

Back