PRS advice needed...

Basalt

(update) PRS advice needed....

I am relatively new here, and last month I received a PRS CU24 which I love, however it was quickly appropriated by my Better Half in life! I then ordered a PRS 408 as my replacement guitar. I received it Monday and demo'd it for 2 days before packing it up Christmas Eve morning to return. I simply could not bond with the 408. I really love the tone of the CU24. The 408 produced a cleaner tones, but it lacked the tone and sweetness which attracted me to PRS to begin with. I am not completely familiar with the PRS line-up, so other than ordering another CU24, is there another model which I should try to demo before going back to another CU24?

thanks..

an update on Jan 14 (per the post below)
I have narrowed down the choices to:

CU 22 with 57/08's (stop tail),
a DGT standard,
a McCarty with 59/09's and (57/08's in the case),
I am also looking at a McCarty with just (57/08's) .

I have been able to use the CU24, and I love the CU24 neck and middle pick up positions (better half's guitar now). I have got the green light from the better half to get what I want. Just hoping for some feedback on these choices as I am unable to play them.

As a long time (20 years plus acoustic player, I am learning I love playing lead. For simplicity, my music tastes range from Metheny to Knopfler to Gilmour. My music tastes are simple, classic rock, jazz & blues and running it all through a '65 Reverb Deluxe Re-Issue.

Last edited:
DGT , cu22 or a p22 come to mind. Never let your love go, just get a new one and tell the better half how it's going to be lol....this sometimes brings silence to a marriage but that's ok, it only lasts for a few days and you get to play your love....hehe

Definitely check out a P22, a full hollowbody if your into it (I'm glad I gave it a chance), but your not alone in falling for a CU24...especially if it has a 5-way rotary knob. Most versatile instrument with such a wide range of options. Also, be sure to check out a McCarty.

You didn't say what your cu24 had for pickups. Maybe get one with different pickups. Mine has 5909s and I love it.

5way blade or rotary won't give you single coil options but 3way toggle will so maybe that's another option.

Good luck because you will need it. You can't stop at two.

Oh and don't forget about CE 24 models. I own a couple of CEs, they are not a poor mans PRS. They are a PRS mans tone option.

Last edited:
thanks for the replies!...i have (did have) a 2014 CU 24 with 59/09's and they are amazing. I am leaning towards just another CU24, but will definitely check out the P22, CU 22, the McCarty and DGT

The new and excellent PRS SE Custom 24 control system is a three way blade switch that works very well, combined with a coil split knob for the twin humbuckers. The coil split sounds a little weak and thin in my opinion and I dig the full humbucking sound, that sounds really nice.

The fretboards are rosewood but they are very smooth and remind me of ebony. I dig this smooth fretboard. The neck shape is wide/thin and feels super nice. This is probably the best feeling neck that I have played.

This is going to be a difficult guitar to beat. Good luck with your quest. This should be a great guitar and easily found.

From my perspective, the model is generally not the point. Another CU24 may/will not be identical to the specific guitar that was appropriated by your Better Half. This is best demonstrated by the "go to" concept. Many/most people on this board have several guitars; but there is one that they chose to play more than others (also known as "The One").

From my perspective, the model is generally not the point. Another CU24 may/will not be identical to the specific guitar that was appropriated by your Better Half. This is best demonstrated by the "go to" concept. Many/most people on this board have several guitars; but there is one that they chose to play more than others (also known as "The One").
This is kinda true. I have 2 guitars that I gravitate to for my band's work. I have others that I love as well. I enjoy the hell out of them at home but they get less work than than the other 2.

I say buy HER a new guitar with all her favorite options, and take YOUR guitar back if you have that special connection with that guitar.

This is kinda true. I have 2 guitars that I gravitate to for my band's work. I have others that I love as well. I enjoy the hell out of them at home but they get less work than than the other 2.

I say buy HER a new guitar with all her favorite options, and take YOUR guitar back if you have that special connection with that guitar.

This!

Preposterous.

You can't even think about taking back that guitar now.

You have to get yourself another one, find another one, get her to help pay for it or whatever, but you have to get your own now and bond with it.

She has hers and now you have to go get yourself one. This is the stand up thing to do. It is your personal responsibility to get rid of that other one you don't like and get another Custom 24 - plain and simple. Anything else involving trying to take back that other one is out of the question and would demonstrate a quality of character that would definitely follow you; and I don't think you want that type of vibe following you around.

Good luck with this and do the right thing. You will be very much happier in the end, and the "subject" will not have been breached. Do what you know you have to do here and get it done, as difficult as it may be. You can do it.

Preposterous.

You can't even think about taking back that guitar now.

You have to get yourself another one, find another one, get her to help pay for it or whatever, but you have to get your own now and bond with it.

She has hers and now you have to go get yourself one. This is the stand up thing to do. It is your personal responsibility to get rid of that other one you don't like and get another Custom 24 - plain and simple. Anything else involving trying to take back that other one is out of the question and would demonstrate a quality of character that would definitely follow you; and I don't think you want that type of vibe following you around.

Good luck with this and do the right thing. You will be very much happier in the end, and the "subject" will not have been breached. Do what you know you have to do here and get it done, as difficult as it may be. You can do it.
Hogwash! She's a thief! :rofl:
Now, I wouldn't have let her "appropriate" #1 to begin with...but that's another story. Chances are, that if you bring something new and shiney home that has all her favorite attributes, she'll just appropriate the new one...then you get your old beloved CU24 back. Just hope that you like the new one enough in case it doesn't go your way. :)

I would just be pleased that my girl had the same interest in guitars and I'd be glad to find another that I could bond with. Then I would work up twin guitar solos with my sweetheart!

I have narrowed down the choices to a CU 22 with 57/08's (stop tail), a DGT standard, and a McCarty with 59/09's and (57/08's in the case), I am also looking at a McCarty with just (87/08's) . I have been able to use the CU24, and I love the CU24 neck and middle pick up positions (better half's guitar now). I have got the green light from the better half to get what I want. Just hoping for some feedback on these choices. My tastes are simple, classic rock, Jazz & blues and running it all through a '65 Reverb Deluxe Re-Issue.

A great idea!...however, this is a done deal, I love to make my better half happy, so i must forge ahead!

Back