PRS Adjustable Stoptail - Saddle/Screw Movement

jdag

I have a McCarty and wanted to ask Qs about the adjustable bridge.

I noticed that the saddle adjustment screw for the low E string was sticking out more than the other 5 adjustment screws. I loosened the E string, screwed down the adjustment screw, and tightened the E string again. Only to notice that it again was sticking out further than the others. In other words, the threads did not seem to be engaging.

I then removed the bridge and removed the adjustment screw completely, then reinstalled it. Once reinstalled, I was able to move the saddle in and out properly with the adjustment screw.

While the screw was out, I noticed that there is some sort of thin "retainer" that appears to be what the screw threads engage, as opposed to the bridge itself being threaded. Is that the case?

My concern is that I noticed that even when reinstalled, the brass saddle for the low E has some play, while the other 5 seem much more solid. Should the saddles be "tight/solid"?

Any thoughts on this?

Should be solid. When the screw comes out like that you are actually able to push the saddle all the way up or down. I was able to fix mine. With the strings of I pushed it he screw back in then started started tightening the screw with a screwdriver. As I wast tightening the screw I simultaneously gently pushed the screw in with the screwdriver. I continued tightening untill the saddle was all the way back. After that I checked if the screw wasn’t coming out when I loosen the screw. It happened to two of my saddles and one of them I had to repeat this process twice. I find it really hard to explain this in writing, so please let me know if I’m not making sense and I’d be happy to try to clarify.

I think the directions say, remove all the string tension before adjusting the saddle, I've noticed it before too while adjusting the screw the saddle won't move because of the high string tension so the screw moves instead.
it is the penalty for not following the directions. but once I do remove the string tension the saddle does move and allow the screw to seat where it should be seated. then reapply string tension and check intonation. the one time I did it I noticed that the intonation was not changing. because the saddle wasn't moving.

So what happensed to me and if I understood him correctly, also happened to OP, is that the adjustments screws were popping out. When this happens, they became useless and you can slide the sadles up and down with your fingers.

I think you've all helped to solve this. If I recall, I did make a very slight adjustment to the intonation on that string a couple of months back, and I am fairly certain I forgot to 1st loosen the tension.

I replaced the strings today and made all necessary adjustments, and all seems fine.

I appreciate the guidance!

I’ve had this happen to me a few times and it’s always because I adjusted under tension. Minor adjustments are usually fine but major ones will cause this without relieving tension.

I’ve found a little trick for me is to remove tension, tighten the saddle all way so that it is now touching the bridge on the side closest to the pickups (this in someway reseats the saddle and screw properly) then I back it off to where the proper intonation should be and it usually holds place after that

Depending on the age of the adjustable stoptail, the old ones had an ‘E’ clip to hold the screw in place. If that clip comes off, the screw can back out and the saddle won’t hold its position. I’ve never had an issue with the newest design.

Back