PRS Acoustic Owners - Who's Out There?

László

Too Many Notes
Inquiring minds, and all that...so who has a PRS Acoustic? Whether Private Stock, Maryland production, or SE, let's see 'em and hear about 'em!

What do you use it for? Your thoughts on the guitar?

And...the obligatory pictures, of course! I'll post pics later. I want to see everyone else's!

Les

"Mahogany Concept" Tonare...

395692620.jpg

395692613.jpg

395692616.jpg

395692615.jpg

395692618.jpg

Warm, articulate, with exceptional note separation. Never seems to go out of tune...

Plugged in to a PA or my AER Compact 60/2? HUGE!

Jamie

It's absolutely incredible, Jamie! Beyond gorgeous, one of a kind. Wow. I forgot you had that one.

Are you plugging it in for gigs? I find the onboard electronics don't really make it for recordings, unless I am using outboard pedal effects, etc.

I use this mostly when play articulated notes, as opposed to strumming. Mostly playing finger style, but it has a very nice ring when picked. I plug it in so rarely that I forgot there was a handy volume control tucked in the sound hole when I was playing Markie's.
CK_312CollectionTop.JPG

CK_302CollectionBack.JPG

I use this mostly when play articulated notes, as opposed to strumming. Mostly playing finger style, but it has a very nice ring when picked. I plug it in so rarely that I forgot there was a handy volume control tucked in the sound hole when I was playing Markie's.
CK_312CollectionTop.JPG

CK_302CollectionBack.JPG
Another incredible one! Is that a pernie back and sides?

Here's an iPhone shot of my baby's back (hard to get a good photo, looks better in person):

And the Addy top:

It's absolutely incredible, Jamie! Beyond gorgeous, one of a kind. Wow. I forgot you had that one.

Are you plugging it in for gigs? I find the onboard electronics don't really make it for recordings, unless I am using outboard pedal effects, etc.

I've only played it out for a gig once. Plugged directly into the room's PA. The first notes dropped my jaw...

I turned to my buddy (who plays an Ovation), and said, "Did you just hear what I heard"? He just stared and said..."Yup!" Big grins on both of our faces...

I've played it at home thru my AER, and I really like that sound, but I've not used that out...

Jamie

I've only played it out for a gig once. Plugged directly into the room's PA. The first notes dropped my jaw...

I turned to my buddy (who plays an Ovation), and said, "Did you just hear what I heard"? He just stared and said..."Yup!" Big grins on both of our faces...

I've played it at home thru my AER, and I really like that sound, but I've not used that out...

Jamie

Just tried mine direct again and...well. maybe you just have something a little different.

I'm not hearing anything close to jaw-dropping, except in an un-good way.

SE Angelus Standard w/ piezo.

9002845367_0beeafac1b.jpg

Great action, comfortable neck, nice bright woody tone, absolutely a joy to play. I haven't been as drawn to an acoustic since I was 15 and just started learning how to play.

It does have a couple minor cosmetic flaws:

9002895603_6de842a74b.jpg

As you can see, the logo on the headstock is crooked. Plus there's a faint cloud of glue residue underneath the finish where the neck meets the body. But I love the tone, and I especially love the feel, so she's a keeper.

SE Angelus Standard w/ piezo.

9002845367_0beeafac1b.jpg

Great action, comfortable neck, nice bright woody tone, absolutely a joy to play. I haven't been as drawn to an acoustic since I was 15 and just started learning how to play.

It does have a couple minor cosmetic flaws:

9002895603_6de842a74b.jpg

As you can see, the logo on the headstock is crooked. Plus there's a faint cloud of glue residue underneath the finish where the neck meets the body. But I love the tone, and I especially love the feel, so she's a keeper.

I have been wanting to try one of these for so long.....how does the pickup system sound?

There are some really sweet acoustics on display here! Sage, I like your SE and am glad it's got such good tone. I finally got to try an SE and unfortunately, it was a dud. :( The guys at the store told me I should have tried the one that they sold. That one was really sweet. Just like anything else, I guess we must play and compare to find what calls out to us.

I have been wanting to try one of these for so long.....how does the pickup system sound?

I actually hadn't even bothered to try it out until now. I plugged it in today. It sounds good for an under saddle transducer, but not mind blowing or anything. I'm wondering if it's possible to replace the pickup with a bridge plate transducer like the K&K pure mini or some such, while still using the stock power and preamp (and built-in tuner).

There are some really sweet acoustics on display here! Sage, I like your SE and am glad it's got such good tone. I finally got to try an SE and unfortunately, it was a dud. :( The guys at the store told me I should have tried the one that they sold. That one was really sweet. Just like anything else, I guess we must play and compare to find what calls out to us.

Honestly I ordered mine sight unseen from guitar center. Nobody in my area had one in stock, and there are a lot of music stores around here. Even the local dealer who specializes in PRS didn't carry them, said they weren't impressed with them.

I don't know if I got a good one or if my standards are just lower, but I'm happy with mine. The standout factor is the playability. The action is great and the neck is comfortable is you're accustomed to electric guitars. The Maryland acoustics have a wider neck, and I actually prefer the narrower SE neck.

I've heard better acoustics, but not in this price range.

Acoustic guitars are all about the individual guitar. Each one is far more different from the next than electric guitars, and even they sound different from one another.

So...always good to play the one you're buying first.

Then too, no guitar is for everyone no matter how good (or bad).

However, I will say that I had complete confidence in the Maryland acoustics and special ordered both of the ones I've had with zero worry. In both cases, I got great guitars.

Angelus SE Custom w/pickups

I'll show you mine. I must note that I'm an electric player (prog/alternative rock) so my customized Santana SE is my workhorse. However, buying the Angelus has upped the percentage of acoustic hours with a considerable margin :cool:

1_Overview.jpg

The lighting is part daylight, part lamp.

Early 2012, I decided I deserved to replace my €199 Chinese "Estella" dreadnought. It had great warm tones from the individual strings over all six strings, but it completely muddied up when playing chords. On reading the reviews of the Angelus, I went to Kees Dee (pronounced "case day") in Amersfoort, Netherlands, and told them I likely wanted to buy an SE Standard with electronics, so could they please notify me when one came in. And then the waiting began.

In the summer holiday I visited a guitar store in Enschede, when I stumbled across an SE Angelus Standard (no electronics) and played it in the store for about an hour - liked it a lot (didn't immediately love it though).

Come November '12, I got a call from Kees Dee that a couple of Angeluses (Angeli?) had arrived, and since there was an action (shop existed 25 years) there was a sizable discount on a couple of models - including these SE acoustics. I went over, and since the discount put the SE Custom with pickups within my budget, I tried it out. Kees Dee himself put me on a stool with three more guitars around the €900 price point (can't quite remember, I think a Martin, a Faith and one less known brand). I liked the feel of the Angelus, but the low E sounded a bit unsteady when played open. I played the other guitars, amazed at the difference in sound and feel, and I liked the Faith - and the less known brand even more. But somehow in that half hour I gravitated back to the Angelus again and again. When Kees came back to hear how I fared, he put a €2000 Taylor in the mix. However, after another half hour I decided firmly on the Angelus. Happy ever after! The unsteadyness of the open E that I thought I heard initially has disappeared. Maybe it was just my picking technique (or lack thereof), maybe the newness of the string, maybe I imagined it, trying to come up with a reason not to buy it.

2_Headstock.jpg

Artsy close-up with wide diaphragm for small depth-of-field. After buying the Angelus, I found myself picking up the acoustic more and more. I've started to learn fingerpicking from a course by Dutch guitarist Harry Sacksioni - great fingerpicker and a great course (2 books + DVD). The warm yet clear sound of the bass strings is amazing, as is the projection and sustain. I don't think any Youtube clip can do justice to the subtle sounds that a good acoustic guitar emits.

3_Neck%20joint.jpg

The rosewood and mahogany are very very dark, and the finish is very glossy, so it's very difficult to photograph the beautiful wood grains and not get lots of reflections from my living room. Here's a close-up of the heel (the background is oak).

4_Backbodydetail.jpg

The rosewood back, set against the morning light through my window. In real life, the colors are slightly more reddish and warm than this picture appears on my monitor.
I've performed in public only once - it was on this acoustic, on a 3 day guitar workshop/camp (http://www.gitaarkamp.nl). The dinner show on the last day was opened by me, giving a quite poor performance due to nerves and lack of skill :redface: but I got a lot of compliments anyway (great group dynamics and spirit there). A couple of guys/gals specifically mentioned how great the guitar sounded over the stage sound system. I can't judge that as I sit so close to the acoustic sound, but apparently many experienced acoustic players thought that the Angelus + pickup sounded quite special.

5_Frontbodydetail.jpg

The sitka spruce top and ebony bridge. Very nice warm colour under a glossy finish; very interesting grain: sort of a grittiness in the wood structure in between the lines. The original .012 d'Addario strings have been replaced with Elixirs of the same gauge; the coating on the Elixirs mainly helps to reduce the "grzgrzgrz" sound to acceptable levels when sliding a bass string.

I absolutely love this guitar, and it has significantly increased my interest in acoustic guitar playing. When I pass its stand in my study an arms length away from my seat, I often touch the low E just to hear it hum.
And here's me on the stage at Gitaarkamp, trying hard to put the right finger in the right place at just the right time :redface::
Gitaarkamp.jpg

Back