PRS acoustic intonation and finishes

henryr

I've owned a Guild D35 and Gibson Hertiage for over twenty years and about 15 years ago I decide to get a good quality OM. I read a bit about the Martin 000 28ec and bought one. When I opened the shipping carton and took the guitar out of the case, at the guitar store, there was a rattling noise and it turned out to be manufacturing debris inside the guitar body. We cleaned out the junk and I took it home. What a disappointment. It had poor intonation and a very thick finish on the spruce top that was damping the top's vibration. I called Martin and they sent me another 000 28ec. It was clean inside but still had poor intonation and a very thick top finish. Within a week I traded it in for a new 2004 Santa Cruz OM. It had great intonation and a top finish so thin you could feel the grain. It's sound was also far better than any Martin I've tried. I mention all this because I wonder how the PRS acoustic would compare. Has anyone any input regarding intonation and top finish or other thoughts about it?

Thanks,
henryr

I have a Tonare and an Angelus and both have excellent intonation. Top finish isn't super thin as you described on the Santa Cruz, but it certainly doesn't interfere with the vibration of the top. They are excellent guitars and top shelf in terms of playability.

I've owned a Guild D35 and Gibson Hertiage for over twenty years and about 15 years ago I decide to get a good quality OM. I read a bit about the Martin 000 28ec and bought one. When I opened the shipping carton and took the guitar out of the case, at the guitar store, there was a rattling noise and it turned out to be manufacturing debris inside the guitar body. We cleaned out the junk and I took it home. What a disappointment. It had poor intonation and a very thick finish on the spruce top that was damping the top's vibration. I called Martin and they sent me another 000 28ec. It was clean inside but still had poor intonation and a very thick top finish. Within a week I traded it in for a new 2004 Santa Cruz OM. It had great intonation and a top finish so thin you could feel the grain. It's sound was also far better than any Martin I've tried. I mention all this because I wonder how the PRS acoustic would compare. Has anyone any input regarding intonation and top finish or other thoughts about it?

Thanks,
henryr

How could you tell how thick the finish was?

As I mentioned, I could feel the grain on the Santa Cruz and tilting it , in good lighting, at various angles it appeared that the grain was barley covered by the finish. The Martin 000 28ec finish looked like a very thick coat of clear finish. Tilting the Martin, in good lighting, at various angles it appeared that the grain was well below a very thick coating.

I own a 2009 Angelus Standard. The finish on mine is very thin and the grain can be felt. Of course mine has aged a bit over the past 6 years. I play it all the time and my arm has burnished the top where my arm brushes it, which looks super cool to me. The intonation is great. It was set up just a tad high for my taste so I had the saddle adjusted and now it's perfect with no intonation issues. I don't regret selling my P22 and 2 channel H to acquire it.

Intonation with an acoustic guitar will change over time. Humidity and temp play major factors in that. Over time, you will always have to have an acoustic tweeked. Right now, my main stage guitar (a santa cruz om/pw) is at the repair shop for this very reason.

The PRS guitars I've played and owned have all be about as straight (regarding intonation) as any guitar I've ever played. I do a lot of capo'ing on the 5-7th frets and they have always responded very well to capos.

Regarding the finish. Honestly, I really don't care how thick the finish is, if it sounds good! I have read and seems like there was a video out there of Paul saying they use an incredibly thin finish on their guitars. I'll see if I can find it and post it.

Back