PRS Acoustic/Electric 1992?

justmund

Plank Spanker
Was looking at the model history on the PRS site and found a model that I was unfamiliar with. Anyone care to learn me/share pics?

PRS ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC: 1992. Three models introduced -Mahogany Cutaway; mahogany back and sides, spruce top, rosewood fretboard, rosewood bridge and headstock veneer, natural finish, and optional gold hardware. Custom Cutaway; 3-piece figured maple back and sides, spruce top, Brazilian rosewood fretboard, Brazilian rosewood bridge and headstock veneer, bird inlays, abalone rosette, and optional gold hardware. Rosewood Signature; rosewood back and sides, master grade spruce top, Brazilian rosewood fretboard, Brazilian rosewood bridge and headstock veneer, bird inlays, abalone rosette, abalone trim around top, wooden marquetry backstrip, gold tuners and endpin, antiqued natural finish. Only 11 prototypes ever made.

Was looking at the model history on the PRS site and found a model that I was unfamiliar with. Anyone care to learn me/share pics?

PRS ACOUSTIC/ELECTRIC: 1992. Three models introduced -Mahogany Cutaway; mahogany back and sides, spruce top, rosewood fretboard, rosewood bridge and headstock veneer, natural finish, and optional gold hardware. Custom Cutaway; 3-piece figured maple back and sides, spruce top, Brazilian rosewood fretboard, Brazilian rosewood bridge and headstock veneer, bird inlays, abalone rosette, and optional gold hardware. Rosewood Signature; rosewood back and sides, master grade spruce top, Brazilian rosewood fretboard, Brazilian rosewood bridge and headstock veneer, bird inlays, abalone rosette, abalone trim around top, wooden marquetry backstrip, gold tuners and endpin, antiqued natural finish. Only 11 prototypes ever made.

I'll join you in the class room. Hope we have a cool professor.

According to the old PRS Guitar Book (before it evolved into the PRS Electric Guitar Book), the model was developed with Dana Bourgeois. Paul thought it was great, but upon sending a prototype around, others weren't so keen on it, so they killed the program. Paul said Dana formed his own company making basically the same guitar, though.

This one looks very similar to the one tiny pic in the book:

http://bourgeoisguitars.net/guitars-archived/jomccutaway/

Dana Bourgeois did work to develop a prototype line of PRS acoustics in 1992, before Bourgeois Guitars was founded as a production shop (although Dana had been producing guitars with the Bourgeois name since 1975). There is a small picture of one of the prototypes on page 9 of "The Bourgeois Story", available here: http://bourgeoisguitars.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/The-Bourgeois-Story.pdf .

Thanks,

Ryan Fitzsimmons
Bourgeois Guitars

Last edited:
i know this is a super old horse...but thought i would drop a picture of #11 of those 11 prototypes on here:
FClRAdnVcAAdObq

FClREJ9VEAQ7ett

dx64ewxklcv71.jpg

Back