PRS Acoustic Buzzing

slideplayer13

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me diagnose the buzzing that is occurring with my brand new PRS p20e acoustic. The open strings sound fine, but there is a strong buzz that sounds like it’s coming from the bridge area when playing any fretted note on all 6 strings. This includes the last fret, so I don’t see how it could be an issue of uneven frets or neck relief. The truss rod has a slight bow and there are no loose parts. Any ideas on what could be causing it?

Could be a couple different things, but I'd start with the simple stuff first. Make sure the strap pins are tight and solid. From there, I'd reseat the battery or even take it out altogether to see if that's where the rattle is coming from. Then I'd loosen the strings one by one to see if that makes the buzz go away. Next would be to loosen all the strings and reseat the bridge pins, or just do a string change. Worst case scenario (I think) would be a loose brace, and that's probably best handled by a warranty situation.

Could be a couple different things, but I'd start with the simple stuff first. Make sure the strap pins are tight and solid. From there, I'd reseat the battery or even take it out altogether to see if that's where the rattle is coming from. Then I'd loosen the strings one by one to see if that makes the buzz go away. Next would be to loosen all the strings and reseat the bridge pins, or just do a string change. Worst case scenario (I think) would be a loose brace, and that's probably best handled by a warranty situation.
Thanks for the response. Still no luck with trying any of these suggestions.

Thanks for the response. Still no luck with trying any of these suggestions.
Hi, do you have the electric version ? if so it might be worth while checking if the buzzing comes from a loose wire / component... let me know ...

I have an electric version P20e and it had issues since the beginning with buzzing. The shop I bought it from has now adjusted the pick-up twice and its still buzzing particularly with bar chords and harmonics. While it should have been under warranty I sitll shelled out 50 bucks for the last adjustment of the pick-up. Anyone else have issues with the pick-up being loose and buzzing? This guitar is very dissapointing as it also has a half dozen rough spots on the finish that I didn't notice when purchased.

Check the tuners and make sure any screws are not loose.

it could be that the action is set to low. I would do a string change and while the strings are off, lift out the saddle, try placing a thin, hard material under there...a slice cut from a credit card would work. Adding 1mm of height at the saddle would translate to 0.5mm at the 12th fret.

If that works, look at getting a proper shim kit or a blank saddle with the same radius as the fretboard so you're not using a credit card slice.

You could also try a slightly heavier gauge of string that would raise the string height slightly.

Let us know if you've had any luck.

Back