PRS acoustic builds

11top

Cousin Eddie's cousin
I shamefully admit I haven’t had these out for awhile. I was learning a song (I Looked Away-D&tDs), and thought it would sound great played on these. While they were out of their cases, I decided to take a few photos. The woods on both these guitars guitars were picked by me at the vault. I wasn’t looking to build an acoustic either time until Mike Byle steered me to the wood piles.

The first build was the all-koa body. I remember gasping when I pulled these sets of perfectly matched top and back, and I’ve always been a sucker for sapwood. The 2nd guitar was built from a later trip to Stevensville at an Experience (2012). Again, no plans to build, but when I pulled this unique pale moon ebony I knew I was hooked. And, to make it impossible to resist, Michael Reid was displaying this incredible macassar ebony neck blank at the Experience wood display; it’s now on this guitar.

Even though these are the same Angelus model, they are very unique from each other. The koa one is more mid-rangy, where the ebony is livelier and has a snap to its tone. Also, there something magical about ebony necks. They are smooth as glass and sustain for days. I love both guitars, they are just very different.

Last edited:
The Koa acoustic of my dreams! Let me know when you are tired of the Koa ;) Oh wait, you’re waiting on my Koa :D

That Ebony is just fabulous!

Back