PRS 85/15’s or Suhr Thornbuckers?

SamIV

Just picked up an S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow and looking for a pickup upgrade. I actually like the way the 85/15S pickups split, but not so much in humbucker mode. A little too mid heavy. I play classic rock and some country. Prefer something with mids a little scooped and lower output. And this guitar seems to emphasize the lower mids more than a solid body. I also have a 98 CE24 with the HFS/VB combo. Not a fan at all of those pickups. And now that I have the S2, I am going to let the CE go. The CE is a better build quality, but I prefer 22 frets.

I do like most of the videos of the 85/15’s that I have viewed, but some of the lower output PRS pickups sound great as well. Also like some of that I have seen on the Thornbuckers. Curious if anyone has compared the Thornbuckers to the 85/15’s. Or any of you smart fellow and gals have any recommendations besides these two.

Edit: Do I need 53mm or 50mm spacing If I get something other than PRS pickups? Or does it really make any difference?

Last edited:
I recently got a 2020 S2 Standard 22 and feel the same way - love the split sounds but the bridge pickup seems very dark. That works well if I crank up the drive but not what I am looking for most of the time.
Wondering if anyone here would recommend a cap swap that brightened up the tone a bit.

The 85/15 pickups are going to be a more "modern" sound--very forward attack, strong in the mids too, as you've found. The Thornbuckers are very "vintage" style and relatively low output for a humbucker (that's not a bad thing, I'm just saying it because the 85/15 are not low-output) with a much more relaxed profile almost loose-feeling, a little scooped in the mids. I like the Thornbuckers, but I also like the PRS 57/08 pickups a lot too, and they're very much in the same territory. I do think some 57/08 pickups would be perfectly at home in your S2 Custom 22 Semi-Hollow... and I'd expect even the re-wiring job would be a direct 1-to-1 swap.

As for the bridge pickup spacing, I don't know for sure but you could measure the 1st-to-6th string spacing directly over the bridge pickup and that'll tell you. But if going with PRS pickups, there's really only ever 1 option for the "treble" pickup anyway, so just go with it.

50mm is fine.

I love me some Thornbuckers. I've used them in two different guitars. I'd take the 85/15 though, if you can procure a set. The neck pickup has great clarity and splits even better than the Thorn, which splits very well.

The Thornbucker+ bridge pickup rocks, though. It has a great push to the sound without being too much of anything.

I think I'm reading this right..You are contemplating going from S pickups to core of the same designation? Although I prefer the 85/15 to 85/15S if I didn't like the S pickups I probably would pick the core version they are designed after. If you wanted to stay PRS for the music you play I'd personally look at 57/08. I've been dying to try 57/08 in the neck and 59/09 in the bridge.

Oh, and my core PRS pickups are 50mm in the bridge.

I've gone all different directions with my PRS guitars. I've got two with vintage sounding, Seymour Duncan and Porter pickups. Two with 85/15's and two with 58/15S's. And two with S2's with 85/15S pickups. Only my two core Custom 22's, sound the same.

I liked the sound of my 85/15's in position 2 (5-way), with the bridge in humbucker mode and the neck in split mode. So, I lifted the bridge lead on the push/pull Tone control on my S2 Custom 22. Now if I pull the Tone POT, it only splits the neck pickup. It's become one of my favorite sounds. You may still need to make some pickup adjustments. I tend to lower the 85/15S's and raise the pole screws. If you don't like the sound, you can just re-soldier the lead back down. I also needed to make different EQ adjustments on my amp, when I went from single coils to humbuckers.

Take your time and try to enjoy the tone search.

I've been dying to try 57/08 in the neck and 59/09 in the bridge.

I had that setup for a short while in my Stripped '58. Sounds good, and looks cool too with that "Tremonti" look of nickel neck pickup with uncovered black bridge pickup. However, to me it felt like the guitar had two different "voices" or "attitudes" between the neck & bridge pickups (more than just the output difference). I do prefer just a pair of 57/08's or a pair of 59/09's over having one of each, but to each his own [pickups].

I had that setup for a short while in my Stripped '58. Sounds good, and looks cool too with that "Tremonti" look of nickel neck pickup with uncovered black bridge pickup. However, to me it felt like the guitar had two different "voices" or "attitudes" between the neck & bridge pickups (more than just the output difference). I do prefer just a pair of 57/08's or a pair of 59/09's over having one of each, but to each his own [pickups].

I can see that. Myself I kind of like that versatility of bipolar attitudes. I also like the smoothness of blending well together. It really comes down to application and what one is trying to achieve. I wouldn't mess with the 57/08s in my stripped 58 or the 59/09s in my Cu24. In a fresh application I'd consider mixing. The thought crossed my mind for my KL33 but the wofetones in there sound so dang good I can't bring myself to mess with it either.

Did I mention also that I am tight. $400 for a set of pickups is about at my limits. And this is the cost for a new set of the 57/08’s. I can get a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover’s and the Thornbuckers for half of that. I have not ruled out the PRS though. Used, 85/15 USA models aren’t too bad if you watch for them.

I also own an S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow that I just installed a set of TV Jones pickups. Very nice change of pace. Very low output and jangly. They sound so good with a little over drive. I have an SE Tremonti Custom that I did a lot of fretwork and nut work on and it plays as well or better than my S2’s now. Probabaly going to put something more PAF low output in the Tremonti. Although The stock pickups don’t sound bad. I had Seth Lover’s in an older guitar that I don’t own anymore, and really liked them. So going a little higher output in the S2 Custom might work out for something a little different. I do like the way the 85/15’s sound in most of the video’s I have seen in the newer CE24’s. But the Thornbuckers are rated very similar in specs from what I have read except the the magnet type in the bridge. Thanks for all the advice. Undecided as of yet though.

Did I mention also that I am tight. $400 for a set of pickups is about at my limits. And this is the cost for a new set of the 57/08’s. I can get a set of Seymour Duncan Seth Lover’s and the Thornbuckers for half of that. I have not ruled out the PRS though. Used, 85/15 USA models aren’t too bad if you watch for them.

I also own an S2 Singlecut Semi-Hollow that I just installed a set of TV Jones pickups. Very nice change of pace. Very low output and jangly. They sound so good with a little over drive.

I've used Porter Gatekeepers and Bootstrap Vintage Cleans, in the $100 to $120 price range. They are both alnico 2 neck and alnico 5 bridge, sets. I actually like them as well as any vintage, after-market pickups. I would give the nod to the import Porter gatekeepers. Porter is a great company to do business with and their MIA sets only cost around $260.

S2 Custom 22, with Porter pickups.
100-2227.jpg

I have a ce24 85/15. Love it! So many tones/options.

I also have a suhr pt signature w/ thorn+ bridge and thorn neck. Love it! So many tones/options.

Sorry this doesn't help but I love talking about both these guitars.

I've owned multiple sets of the Thornbuckers over the years and they're just fantastic pickups. The neck pickup is so clean and clear that it's completely ruined other neck humbuckers for me. Either version of the bridge pickup are equally great.

Kinda leaning toward the Thornbuckers. Curious how they split compared to the 85/15’s though. If I don’t like the Thornbuckers in this, I have the Tremonti to try them in as well.

Edit: Do I need 53mm or 50mm spacing If I get something other than PRS pickups? Or does it really make any difference?

So technically the string spacing is 53mm. So I went with a Duncan Custom EVH Frankie in the bridge of my guitar, but what people don’t tell you is that not all F spaced pups are the same size as regular spaced at the bobbin - Duncan’s it turns out are a lot wider, so whilst the poles line up, it just fit inside the pup rings and looks noticeably wider than the neck pup. I can see me swapping it out someday for a regular 50mm spacing.

So technically the string spacing is 53mm. So I went with a Duncan Custom EVH Frankie in the bridge of my guitar, but what people don’t tell you is that not all F spaced pups are the same size as regular spaced at the bobbin - Duncan’s it turns out are a lot wider, so whilst the poles line up, it just fit inside the pup rings and looks noticeably wider than the neck pup. I can see me swapping it out someday for a regular 50mm spacing.

Yep, Duncan in their infinite wisdom decided to go with wider plates and bobbins vs standard plates and bobbins with wider spaced poles. They are literally the only pickup maker that does that and it's makes installing their trembuckers a gamble. Also, it's completely bitten them in the rear during these Covid times as they've been struggling to keep those non-industry standard and likely more expensive parts in stock. The last time I was on the Duncan site a few months back, they'd completely removed the option to order trembuckers from their site due to supply issues.

Again, any other brand is perfectly safe to use, 50mm or 53mm, as the parts are all the same besides the pole spacing.

Yep, Duncan in their infinite wisdom decided to go with wider plates and bobbins vs standard plates and bobbins with wider spaced poles. They are literally the only pickup maker that does that and it's makes installing their trembuckers a gamble. Also, it's completely bitten them in the rear during these Covid times as they've been struggling to keep those non-industry standard and likely more expensive parts in stock. The last time I was on the Duncan site a few months back, they'd completely removed the option to order trembuckers from their site due to supply issues.

Again, any other brand is perfectly safe to use, 50mm or 53mm, as the parts are all the same besides the pole spacing.
I wish I’d known this. Ah well.

Back