PRS 59/09s

baiff

Hello,

I will post this question here and hopefully get a response. Does anyone know what the back of 59/09's look like? I am looking at buying some from a Craigslist listing but need to be sure they are the real deal. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Brian

They'll have a sticker that says "59/09" on them (Treble and or/Bass". Black with gold writing. Plus a little white sticker. If they're later ones, they'll have squabbins (square bobbins) which are unique to PRS pickups (that exact shape anyway). Lead should be a braided line covering 3 wires, red, white and black. Also from memory the back will be brass and have "PRS" stamped in them...

OK....thanks. There seem to be a few variations of these. I have in my Custom 24 a sticker that is hand signed 59/09. I also see some that have a black and gold sticker that reads 1959/2009. Looks like the ones being sold are what you are describing. I think they have grey leads instead of braided though. Thanks for the input.

On second thoughts, it might be a grey lead, with a braided inner, and the 3 other wires inside that...

Also the sticker can be white and say "59/09 TM" on it, so yes, a few variations!

Well, I have the one Custom 24 with covered 59/09's (which I love) and I just got another Custom 24 with the HFS/VB with the rotary switch. I am torn between putting another set of 59/09's in or try the 57/08's or 53/10's. Possibly a combination of the 57/08 bridge with the 53/10 neck is a great balanced combination. Just not sure what to do.

Unless you're gigging and need a backup guitar that sounds the same as the main guitar, I'd go something different (although the uncovered vs. covered and rotary vs. blade might be enough difference...) Something to consider is 57/08s and 53/10s aren't usually compatible with 5-way switching, I say usually because I don't think there were many 57/08 equipped guitars with 5-ways, and the 53/10s available from the PRS store aren't 5-way compatible either. Apparently there's ways around this, but it's not as simple and soldering the new ones in.

You might be able to pickup some uncovered 53/10s from a late model e.g. P22/24 but it would be rare someone to have changed those out already.

Good luck!

I was wondering about that. I have seen 57/08's with the rotary on the 25th anniversary Custom 24's. Never tried them other than a PF09 (Custom 22) with a three way which I thought sounded pretty good through a 2 channel H combo amp. I did try the 53/10's on a ME Quattro and thought they were just OK. I don't want to get too complicated, just thought having a 3 way and a rotary would give me a nice variety.

Back