Prs 59/09 for metal ?

Aris17561

Hello everyone ... First post here ... I have a custom 24 ten top but the previous owner had changed the pickups with 59/09 . I play metal and I am not sure but feeling that are not the appropriate metal pickups ... But yet I am not sure about that so may you tell me your opinion ? Anyone plays metal with 59/09 pups?

Hello and thank you ... I play metal heavier than those you mention but not djent . maybe a d standard tuning is the tuning of preference ... bands like iced earth , trivium , parkway drive etc .

What you're playing in to has a ton of bearing, as well. Ideally, in the PRS realm, 85/15 or \m/ pickups would probably be best for you.

Don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t work for Metal. You’re most likely pushing a lot of gain via the preamp or pedal right? Let the amp do the work.

Don’t see any reason why they wouldn’t work for Metal. You’re most likely pushing a lot of gain via the preamp or pedal right? Let the amp do the work.

I agree, I messed around with a Semi-Hollow CU24 for a while with 59/09's in it and it worked fine for me and the various heaviness I play. I've had 85/15's and the \m/ pickups in various guitars and they've all worked for me as well. But, it all just comes down to personal preference. I tend to bump the gain if my pickup isn't pushing as hard as I'd like. Took me a while to get through my thick skull that I have to re-eq and tweak the gain depending on the guitar. I'm a slow learner:D

What did you play previously that worked for you before you got the PRS?

I had 5909s in my McCarty and then I decided to use it for D and drop C tunings.

I felt the 5909s were a little weak for the lower tunings.

I tried HFS/VB. I typically do not like the HFS but for low tuning it worked pretty well but I wasn't totally satisfied as it could get a little muddy.

M pickups worked the best. Higher output, excellent note separation and clear sounding. M pickups tend to resist muddiness.
M pickups are what you need. For the record, i absolutely love 5909 pickups for E and Eb tuning.

What you're playing in to has a ton of bearing, as well. Ideally, in the PRS realm, 85/15 or \m/ pickups would probably be best for you.

Love your profile photo

Drjenkins I am playing with various guitars mostly heavy guitars but to be honest some of my favourites are a musician jp6 , an esp horizon with Duncan's and a jackson sl2h with a bare knuckle nailbomb ... I am a huge fan of emg 81 too ...

GUSH : I HAVE CONSIDERED m pickup but in Europe I found only nickel covered version... But my custom 24 has uncovered version and I don't like to have a covered pup for bridge and uncovered neck ..

Anyone have tried the tremonti ? I do not listen tremonti staff though ...

Love your profile photo

Drjenkins I am playing with various guitars mostly heavy guitars but to be honest some of my favourites are a musician jp6 , an esp horizon with Duncan's and a jackson sl2h with a bare knuckle nailbomb ... I am a huge fan of emg 81 too ...

GUSH : I HAVE CONSIDERED m pickup but in Europe I found only nickel covered version... But my custom 24 has uncovered version and I don't like to have a covered pup for bridge and uncovered neck ..

Anyone have tried the tremonti ? I do not listen tremonti staff though ...

Go to ebay for your m pickups if you can't find them to buy new.

Don't quote me on this but the Tremonti is related to SC250 pickup I think. I've never tried I Tremonti.

If you’re trying to stay closer to “the heat” of your other guitars, I’d say you might want something hotter than the 5909. A \m/ or Tremonti would be great. HFS as well. That said, the 5909 is certainly capable, they keep things tight with great clarity. But assuming you want some continuity, one of the above is probably better.

Compared to tremonti any experience ? Last question I promise ...

No experience with a Tremonti, and my SC250 pickup is covered.... but if the Tremonti and SC250 are indeed related, I’d say it’s probably fairly comparable.

I have the Tremonti set in an SE Tremonti Custom. The bridge pickup is reportedly designed around the SD JB. Having had the JB in other guitars, I can hear the similarities but can also hea the PRS influence. Very organic pickup that is tight and punchy. Easy to control with the volume knob.

It is different than the HFS, of which, I like as well. It's hard to put my finger on the differences though. Mids and low mids are a bit different......but honestly, not enough that I'm adjusting my amp for if I switch guitars. Again, very suitable for what you want to play.

I get good metal tones out of the McCarty and DGT pickups as well, but they require a bit of amp tweaking to dial in.

I realised that from the prs site I can buy the m treble pickup uncovered.... Anyone has experience with m picku ?

I realised that from the prs site I can buy the m treble pickup uncovered.... Anyone has experience with m picku ?

Awesome pickup. Very versatile. Not just for metal, that's for sure. Great clarity, and note definition.

Ι saw that the volume of the 5909 and the m is pretty much identical according to the site ... but 5909 is not for metal ... it can play metal but ok you have to compromise... I know that it is not only the output that makes a pickup more metal but just wondering for anyone that has tried the m if it is a truly metal pickup like for example a dimarzios crunch lab which is also versatile or a duncan jb etc...

Back