Prs 59/09 for metal ?

Black Sabbath recorded some songs in regular E tuning and certainly didn't have pick-ups that were 'hot' or anything like the pick-ups that are classified as 'metal' pick-ups. I bet they weren't all that dissimilar to the 59/09's. I don't like 'hot' pick-ups but I haven't struggled getting a metal sound and I bet of you gave the guitar to someone like Ola Englund, he would get a metal sound from it - I can get a metal tone from 58/15 LT's (and I am not the only one) so I don't believe the 59/09's can't do metal!!

Do you have other guitars that give the sound you want? What gear are you plugging into? Have you considered a new Pedal or trying different settings on your pedals/amps, different amp channels etc? Of course they aren't going to sound like EMG's and not push an amp as hard - but you can use a higher gain Amp/Pedal, change the settings etc to get a great metal tone...

Tone is subjective I know but I doubt any PRS Pick-up wouldn't be able to do 'metal' in general but to fit your specific taste with whatever gear and settings you have, they may not work for you. That doesn't mean they can't do metal though and metal is a very broad genre too...

Metal is in your hands not in the guitar you play.
You can play metal even with a stratocaster and be credible aswell playing with the pointyest Jackson.

Just my unrequested opinion...

Metal player here. I opted to drop in Dimarzio D Activators into mine with a tone circuit bypass switch and parallel switch instead of split.

Hello everyone ... First post here ... I have a custom 24 ten top but the previous owner had changed the pickups with 59/09 . I play metal and I am not sure but feeling that are not the appropriate metal pickups ... But yet I am not sure about that so may you tell me your opinion ? Anyone plays metal with 59/09 pups?
It can do it. Besides, it’s more about the amp than the guitar.

The \m/ has plenty heat to it. It’s got a little more midrange than the tremonti or hfs. Tremonti has extended bass and treble with some scoop in the mids. The hfs doesn’t quite have as much bottom compared to the Tremonti but still almost as aggressive. Tremonti is just a little punchier. The \m/ has more midrange than the other 2, not quite as scooped sounding. It’s still hot and aggressive but it also cleans up the best with your volume knob out of the 3.

What vchizzle and bodia said. The \m/ is a hot but very versatile pickup. Cleans up very nicely.

Back