PRS 57/08 pickups...whatcha think about 'em?

The best ones are the ones that read “1957/2008” on the back

I have a 57/08 in the neck and 59/09 in the bridge on this one.

JOHE8pG.jpg
Spruce top?

And it has the famous "Flying Cat" fingerboard inlay!

I've had a bunch of 57/08 over the years, but not all in the same guitar. Some sounded really great and some sounded really bright and a couple squealed under even moderate gain. I will say this, if the current 57/08 sound like the best of the pickups I've had over the years, I would have them in every PRS I own. Since they're expensive and I don't know exactly what they currently sound like, I'm holding off.

I would concur that the 57/08 are fuller and warmer through the mids than the 58/15 (I'm talking the non-LT version here). But they're definitely close siblings. In fact, I think PRSh described the 58/15 as a "slightly [tweaked] EQ'ed 57/08."

But the 58/15 are attractive in their own right, in that they're a little more sparkly and clear... sort of halfway from the 57/08 and towards the LT but not as low output as the LT. (I actually perceive the 58/15 as maybe 5% more output than the 57/08).
Great comparison between the 58/15 and 57/08. They are definitely related and two of my favorite PAF style pickups ever. From any manufacturer.

I was eyeballing that same Bernie on da Verb, glad it's going to a good home. I love the 57/08's in my standard CE 24, sounds so clear and creamy. Enjoy!
Sorry about that. The guy dropped the price to $800 for the Memorial Day weekend and I grabbed it.

I'm done buying for now though.

Guess I'll have to sell more stuff! ;)

Last edited:
In full mode they are my fave's of the PRS line, split I prefer the LT's
Thanks. Seem to be the fave of a lot of folks.

Don't plan to split them, but if I do I'll use the partial coil split method like the PRS DGT uses.

Leaves PART of the coil that's normally switched "completely off", "partially ON" for a stronger, deeper "single coil" sound.

Did that with the pickups in my '00 CE22 and I like the result.

Last edited:
The best ones are the ones that read “1957/2008” on the back
Hmmm.

I've had them in several guitars made from 2008, when they were first introduced, through 2014 (in my #1).

Other than the normal variation one might expect by virtue of every piece of wood resonating a bit differently, the pickups in my guitars have been very consistent. I can't say the earlier ones sounded better, or even different from, the later ones.

They've all shared the same characteristics. Granted, the term 'best' is pretty subjective.

Help me out here - what am I missing? What should be listened for?

Last edited:
What’s a stripped 58? No finish?
The Stripped 58 was introduced at the Experience PRS 2011 event as @SinSir said, as a stripped down version of the SC58 without binding (all versions) and for the later base production model, no birds. Birds and pretty maple tops were available as options. Other details were the 24.5" scale, 57/08s, Phase III locking tuners and the two piece bridge with (compared to the current McCarty 594) wide/thick brass saddles. Starting price was about $1K less than the SC58.

The initial order period lasted only about a month in late 2011 but the response was good enough that it became a production model in 2012. One that didn't last long, about a year.

Shown below is one from the initial Experience order period with flamed maple and the 'dirty' birds. This early model also has a 6 slot tailpiece compared to the 5 slot tailpiece on later Strippers, and on McCarty 594 models.

@Fullmoon 1971 posted a review from Guitarist Magazine comparing the Stripped 58, SE245 and SE Bernie Marsden which are all 24.5" singlecuts. (Scroll down to the second article in the post starting on the 4th posted page)
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...den-ses-so-special-rhetorical-question.55443/
Executive summary of the 'Verdict' section:
"The SE245 is frankly almost as good as that first (2001 Core) Singlecut; the Bernie Marsden is quite possibly better. But the Striped 58 is a league ahead; more vintage-informed, more dynamic, and more musical."

S1.jpg

Last edited:
I have 5708s in a Korina McCarty, put there by the PTC in 2009 during the PRS pickup swap promo. Brushed unengraved covers. I couldn’t imagine a more perfect pickup for this guitar.

We will look forward to how they sound in your incoming guitar!
I definately can imagine this. My McKorina is a bright instrument. I can see the 5708 working there, being both warm but clear. However mine is the p90 version, so no way for me to find out ;-).

The Stripped 58 was introduced at the Experience PRS 2011 event as @SinSir said, as a stripped down version of the SC58 without binding (all versions) and for the later base production model, no birds. Birds and pretty maple tops were available as options. Other details were the 24.5" scale, 57/08s, Phase III locking tuners and the two piece bridge with (compared to the current McCarty 594) wide/thick brass saddles. Starting price was about $1K less than the SC58.

The initial order period lasted only about a month in late 2011 but the response was good enough that it became a production model in 2012. One that didn't last long, about a year.

Shown below is one from the initial Experience order period with flamed maple and the 'dirty' birds. This early model also has a 6 slot tailpiece compared to the 5 slot tailpiece on later Strippers, and on McCarty 594 models.

@Fullmoon 1971 posted a review from Guitarist Magazine comparing the Stripped 58, SE245 and SE Bernie Marsden which are all 24.5" singlecuts. (Scroll down to the second article in the post starting on the 4th posted page)
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threa...den-ses-so-special-rhetorical-question.55443/
Executive summary of the 'Verdict' section:
"The SE245 is frankly almost as good as that first (2001 Core) Singlecut; the Bernie Marsden is quite possibly better. But the Striped 58 is a league ahead; more vintage-informed, more dynamic, and more musical."

S1.jpg
Super informative! Thank you.

So my Bernie's are all very light for such a thick bodied LP style guitar. Did they make special effort to choose the mahogany and maple for these, even though they were made in Korea?

Are all three the same identical body size and thickness?

Man...I'd like to find one of those!

Last edited:
Hmmm.

I've had them in several guitars made from 2008, when they were first introduced, through 2014 (in my #1).

Other than the normal variation one might expect by virtue of every piece of wood resonating a bit differently, the pickups in my guitars have been very consistent. I can't say the earlier ones sounded better, or even different from, the later ones.

They've all shared the same characteristics. Granted, the term 'best' is pretty subjective.

Help me out here - what am I missing? What should be listened for?

To me, the newer ones are more bassy and the early ones have a little more bite to them.

Just my personal observation.

Back