PRS 57/08 pickups...whatcha think about 'em?

57/08 = Best PRS pickup, EVER!

That is how I feel about them. I have them in most of my PRS guitars. Thankfully when I found the models I have most of them had the 57/08s stock, even a P22 Trem I have. I also have them in my HB guitars. I am not sure how may of those they put them in. I have two guitars that I swapped the stock pickups out and put them in myself. I did this to my SAS and my 594. I like the LT pickups in my 594 but I like the 57/08s better. It has better output and more punch with the 57/08s.

The 57/08s I have are from across a number of years. There is definitely some variation in them from year to year. I haven't played any of them that I don't like yet. I like the little bit of variation since I have them in a number of guitars. One of my guitars had an uncovered set in there stock. That changes the sound a bit as well.

"The SE245 is frankly almost as good as that first (2001 Core) Singlecut; the Bernie Marsden is quite possibly better. But the Striped 58 is a league ahead; more vintage-informed, more dynamic, and more musical."

Man...I'd like to find one of those!
For whatever reason, my Stripped 58 was one of a handful of the best-sounding PRSes I've ever owned. After I sold it, I had immediate regret, ordered an SC58 and later an SC245, but couldn't recapture the magic until I got the McCarty SC PS model in 2014.

That says a lot about how great that run was. Or maybe I just had a 'find' that sounded killer?

There's one on Reverb in a color you might like. Pretty reasonably priced.

For whatever reason, my Stripped 58 was one of a handful of the best-sounding PRSes I've ever owned. After I sold it, I had immediate regret, ordered an SC58 and later an SC245, but couldn't recapture the magic until I got the McCarty SC PS model in 2014.

That says a lot about how great that run was. Or maybe I just had a 'find' that sounded killer?
And the Stripped 58 is a PRS USA guitar right?

Not an import like the Bernie.

There's one on ebay but it's a black sunburst sort of finish.

Not my look.

And the Stripped 58 is a PRS USA guitar right?

Not an import like the Bernie.

There's one on ebay but it's a black sunburst sort of finish.

Not my look.
Pure core bliss. An absolutely amazing guitar. Here's my NGD with a follow up. Snatch one up and enjoy!

There's one on Reverb in a color you might like. Pretty reasonably priced.

Decent price on a nice guitar.

Man...I'd like to find one of those!
In addition to @László's recommendation consider this one at GC and they're having a 10% off sale:
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/PRS/2011-SC58-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar.gc
It says SC58 but there's no fretboard binding which makes it a Stripped.

I got my four SE245's from there. Not a lot of info on the site but I called the stores for more detail on each. When I returned one, during their 45 day return policy for used guitars, there was no hassle and I only had to pay the $25 shipping. So it's a very low cost trial if you don't like it that much better than the Bernies.

Last edited:
I have an older Core Studio model from 2011 which has the 57/08 and my buddy has a new Core Studio model which has the 58/15 LT pickups. He came over and we compared tones, and definitely the 57/08's are fuller sounding and warmer than the 58/15's, so much so, that my buddy offer to trade his guitar for mine! I just told him to change the pickups for 57/08's.

Cheers,
Arnie

Well Bernie #3 showed up today and it's easily the best of the three.

57/08 pickups, MannMade bridge/tailpiece with adjustable brass saddles and brass studs, and MannMade locking tuners.

The 57/08 pickups are everything you all said they were.

They're a little hotter and have a fuller tone than the Antiquitys in my other Bernie.

But they have a beautiful tone that just feels good to play with.

I'm one happy camper!

Well Bernie #3 showed up today and it's easily the best of the three.

57/08 pickups, MannMade bridge/tailpiece with adjustable brass saddles and brass studs, and MannMade locking tuners.

The 57/08 pickups are everything you all said they were.

They're a little hotter and have a fuller tone than the Antiquitys in my other Bernie.

But they have a beautiful tone that just feels good to play with.

I'm one happy camper!
Sounds like someone did some really nice upgrades to it. Good to hear you like the 57/08 pickups. They are truly my favorite pickup of any manufacturer. They just got those right. I have a number of guitars with them in them. I swapped out the pickups in my 594 for a set of 57/08s. The guitar was good before I did that. It is great now... :)

Sounds like someone did some really nice upgrades to it. Good to hear you like the 57/08 pickups. They are truly my favorite pickup of any manufacturer. They just got those right. I have a number of guitars with them in them. I swapped out the pickups in my 594 for a set of 57/08s. The guitar was good before I did that. It is great now... :)
I think they might become my favorite pickup as well.

The tone is just about exactly what I was hoping to hear.

I have to admit it: I already like them a litte better than the Antiquitys I've been using for the last decade at least.

Back