PRS 57/08 Pickup Wiring Help

lyricbread

Hello everyone!

Long story short…

I have a 2009 PRS CE-24 that was converted from the 5-way rotary switch to a 3-way with a CTS push/pull tone pot.

I’m in the process of installing a set of PRS 57/08 pickups using the resistor method. The pickups have a 3 conductor wiring (black, white, and red) with a braided shielding. I followed the PRS DGT wiring and something is definitely not right.

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for this setup or advice on how to wire it up? I’m assuming (based on the DGT wiring) that the black/braided goes to ground, white to coil split, and red to the 3-way?

Also, the original neck pickup was flipped, I’m assuming to position the split coil closer to the neck. Is this necessary with the 57/08’s?

Thanks!

Sorry for the delay - I wanted to get some pics of the control cavity on my 57/08 SC245. It's one of the special run from 2008, and it got out of the factory with a coil tap. I took the pics yesterday - and found out today I already had a better set of pics.

So here they are.

sc24501.jpg

sc24502.jpg
sc24503.jpg
sc24504.jpg

In case you still haven't figured it out, I can tell you what I've done with my CE24 that has the same configuration as yours: 57/08s, 3-way switch w/push-pull coil split. I'm pretty sure I used a PRS McCarty wiring diagram but I can't seem to find it right now.

Bridge:
black --> bottom lug on push-pull pot
red --> middle lug on push-pull pot
white --> 3-way switch

Neck:
black --> 3-way switch
red --> middle lug on push-pull pot
white --> bottom lug on push-pull pot

There's no need to flip the neck pickup. At least, I've never done that.

Here are some photos. It's a bit messy in there but maybe it'll help. Feel free to ask about anything if you need more info.

wkoSlSr.jpg

qD3MgLF.jpg

BsByJBU.jpg

78VR9c1.jpg

fhH1WE8.jpg

With 3 conductor wiring red is the series link that you ground through a resistor instead of the white wire that you’ll find on braided shield style single conductor.

Here is what I was told by PRS and I modified their 594 diagram to match.
I did have a question - where do the (black/shield and white/shield) ground wires from the pickups go [?]

B2i4DaA.png

Last edited:
Here is what I was told by PRS and I modified their 594 diagram to match.
I did have a question - where do the (black/shield and white/shield) ground wires from the pickups go [?]

d
B2i4DaA.png
The black/shield and white/shield get grounded to the top of the push-pull tone pot...at least that's how I did mine. This was super helpful...I swapped out the stock bridge pickup in my S2 single cut for a 57/08 and tried to base the wiring on the existing pickup. When I plugged in the guitar, got nothing. So I rewired the new pickup based on this diagram and presto... success! Some great Angus Young/classic rock tones... will replace the neck PU eventually when I have the cash & time.

Back