PRS 57/08 - does it have a noisy coil split or volume drop?

hydeinthesky

Hi everyone

Actually, I'm planning to replace my PRS SE Custom 24's 85/15s pickups with Kinman pickups, but the pickups are too pricy (a usual boutique pickups price), I bought a single coil pickups from them which is $520 dollars, I'm living the Philippines and their factory is here, so the delivery fee is free, but their humbucker pickups especially those that have no volume drop when you coil split is very pricy $1160, it's a price of my PRS overall with the PRS SE Locking tuners and lampshade knobs, then I browse on the website of the local store here who are PRS partner's seller, I saw this PRS 57/08 pickups, which is $223.55 each, I saw this video of Philip Mcknight in his youtube channel, and the pickups is sound great, and the single-coil mode sounds amazing, however, he didn't mention if the pickups have a volume drop and noise when you coil-split it, and the video is cut or edited when he changes modes, so I can't tell if he adjusts a volume or turns on a noise gate pedal. In my experience on my PRS SE (which is 85/15s pickups), I heard and read that the Core guitars do solve the noise and volume drop issues on their models, and I think 57/08 is been part of the core models too? please correct me if I'm wrong.

So kindly enlighten me on this pickups, thank you so much ^^

Thanks, everyone and regards

The 57/08 has been around for around 14 years now. It's a great pickup, but not necessarily like the new TCI ones. They do have a volume drop and single coil noise when split.

To get the TCI pickups, you are going to have to buy a core. Or get really lucky on the secondary market.

I can still highly recommend the 57/08, I have them in a few of my guitars and am never disappointed with their sound.

The 57/08 has been around for around 14 years now. It's a great pickup, but not necessarily like the new TCI ones. They do have a volume drop and single coil noise when split.

To get the TCI pickups, you are going to have to buy a core. Or get really lucky on the secondary market.

I can still highly recommend the 57/08, I have them in a few of my guitars and am never disappointed with their sound.

Hi

Thanks for the response, a friend told me that If I want to have a hum cancelling single coil mode, I should wired the pick ups to series/parallel, is this possible on this pick-ups?

Hi

Thanks for the response, a friend told me that If I want to have a hum cancelling single coil mode, I should wired the pick ups to series/parallel, is this possible on this pick-ups?
If you get one that's a 4 wire model, it should be possible. But they aren't all like that, afaik.

You can wire it so when in single coil mode SOME of the slug coil still comes through helping get rid of the hum and keep from losing volume.

I can't remember how it's done so somebody else will have to chime in.

Not hard, just have to add a couple small components

Thank you everyone for your response, I will bring my guitar to a famous Luthier here in my country, though he has a high price, but I know my guitar will be safe and I think they can do the Series/Parallel wiring, thanks everyone.

Back