PRS 53-10 Pickups

CVS

Not so new member
I have a friend who is seriously considering purchasing a PRS guitar that has 53-10 pick ups in it (I swear its not me - If I buy one more guitar, I will have to live out of a tent). In any case, I don't think that these pick ups are on any of PRS's currently manufactured product lines. What do you all think about these pick ups and can you compare and contrast them to say 57-08's, 58-15's etc.

Any and all input is appreciated
Thanks in advance

They're great pickups. The reason they're not made any more is that PRS can't source the wire that was used to make them. They were voiced in the spirit of an early 50s Tele pickup (thus, "53"), though of course they're not single coils. They're beefy and warm, with a round (as opposed to sharp) note attack.

I thought the neck pickup on the one I had was the best neck pickup tone ever. They're not as bright as 57/08s, etc. The bridge pickup is beautiful sounding, too.

They are definitely a much different sound as Les mentioned. I liken the neck, which is the only one I have, and it sounds like it could be a fat single coil to slightly under sound humbucker and then when you coil tap it's a beautiful clean single coil tone.

Sadly I don't have experience with the bridge pickup but I'm very happy with the neck.

I have them on one of my guitars - both neck and bridge. I agree with the comments previously made. They don't have as sharp an edge (musically) as the 57/08 or 59/09. I've never played the 58/15.

I want to say they are also a bit quieter than others in the series, but I haven't explicitely tested that. I like them and mostly play them through a pretty clean channel. I use the 59/09 when I want it dirty.

Thanks guys for your input. Les's response made me think that something might be said about these pickups in the book "The PRS Electric Guitar Book" by Dave Burrluck and sure enough - There was a paragraph which mentioned that the 53-10 pickups were made using a special process reserved for " a single coil bridge pickup circa 1953" and that they had " a sweeter high end"

Had a Quatro with the the 53 10's and still have a JA15 with them. I find them to be some of the finest pickups PRS ever made. Only beaten by the 58 15 LT's. I find they compare very similar to the 57 08's and 58 15' LTs . They especially favor the 58 15 LTs in the 594 when coil tapped. Just last weekend I played the JA 15 and the 594 through my Mesa Boogie KingSnake. They sound very similar on neutral settings with a difference that is not to faraway from each other when pushed in any direction. I cannot do the metaphor thing because different terms mean different thing to different people. I find them to be sweet pickups. Great for Jazz, Classic Rock and Blues.

Thanks guys for your input. Les's response made me think that something might be said about these pickups in the book "The PRS Electric Guitar Book" by Dave Burrluck and sure enough - There was a paragraph which mentioned that the 53-10 pickups were made using a special process reserved for " a single coil bridge pickup circa 1953" and that they had " a sweeter high end"

Good to know that I'm not imagining things, or, if I am imagining things, Dave Burrluck is imagining the same things. ;)

Just an FYI for those who don't have the Burrluck book (you should get it, it's really good) here's the full paragraph...

53/10 Treble & Bass
This third full-size humbucker in the Vintage series initially appeared as part of a limited run in the summer of 2010, with scorched nickel covers. "It sounds similar to the original 57/08 but with a 'sweeter' top end. It's coil wire is made on the same machine that supplied legendary guitar makers in the 50's and is the warmest sounding of the vintage-themed bunch." Smith said the old machine was cranking out wire. "We've got three types from it - one for each of these ["vintage" series] pickups." Wire specifications for the 53/10 were different than the others, made using a special process reserved for "a single coil bridge pickup circa 1953"

I have them in my SC58 and really like them. To my ears they do have some single coil tone to them. I guess that's by design, but they aren't very high output and don't push my amp very hard which might add to that. Of the 'vintage' series, the 53's have the lowest output, which can be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you are going for.

We never asked what kind of guitar your friend was getting. I'm going to guess a P2X?

I'd like to do a shootout of covered 53/10 vs uncovered to see how they differ sonically if at all.

We never asked what kind of guitar your friend was getting. I'm going to guess a P2X?

I'd like to do a shootout of covered 53/10 vs uncovered to see how they differ sonically if at all.
I've had both versions in my S2 Mira SH, I didn't notice massive difference between the 2 TBH, they both had very similar characteristics (feel, dynamics, tone etc).

I've got a covered 53/10 in the neck of my DC22 (paired with the original 59/09 in the bridge) and that combo slays. That said, the DC22 is one awesome guitar to begin with!

My P22 has em (labeled as just P22 on the back of the pups but PRS confirmed they are 53/10). I found them too harsh for my taste on the P22, so I removed them and swapped in a set of SD Hot Rodded pups.

The 53/10 now lives in my SE Bernie, and they sound really sweet in there -- maybe due to the thicker body? o_O

I'm still kicking myself for selling the SC58 Artist I had with them. Plus it had an ebony fretboard.

Ever feel like you need a do-over?

I have been contemplating selling my JA 15 to fund a new PRS from upcoming NAMM. The problem is... whether or not to pull the 53 10's or do not sell it at all! I love me some 53 10's! How cool they would be in a Purple HBII, let say with a maple neck and board., whaat!

Back