PRS 509!!

Orpheus

Talk to me guys.. am I the only one exited for these? I know it very similar to the 513 but 509 will be even more special I think.

The scale length 25.25", pickup configuration plus electronics.. makes it better than the 513 I think.
If they make a P509 I will get one no questions asked.

straight1.png

I'm sure it will be ( IS ) a great guitar but for me it gives up some of the things that make it special like the 513 birds and neck carve and the heavy humbucker sound.
I will stick with my 408 and Brushstroke 24 for the 408 style switching ( and my new custom project )
I am a fan of the 25 1/4 scale so I'm glad it lives on just not sure its for me in this config but I will try it if I get a chance :)

To me as a 513 owner I´m reluctant for spending money for a 509, because - according to Dancing Frogs explanations - it deals with singlecoil and clear humbucking. A more vintage orientated appearance. To be able to switch from treble´s SC rhythm play to bass´ HB solo play only with the 5 way selector is not increases not my personal gain, because now I have to adjust three switches for my general voicings.
And I love to have the oppportunity to augment my humbucker voicing by the heavy humbucking.
To me a 513 dealt/deals with perfect and simple versality for all styles an electric guitar is used. The 509 has an assumed smaller corridor.

If it had come out (in non PS form) earlier this year, it would've been a serious contender for me.

The controls are perhaps their most practical and ergonomic design.

Orpheus, I think you should be excited. For us 513 drivers, it certainly looks like a 513 light, but it's own guitar with its own voice. It is definitely a more vintage sounding PRS. Closer to the strat and tele territory than the 513 ever got. I am currently looking into getting one of the first production 509's, so I can compare it with the GOTM version. I certainly hope it is the magical touch sensitive and articulate instrument that the PS is.

Given the push toward the vintage market with the 594 and moving the core line closer to the vintage PRS sound with the widespread introduction of the 85/15 pick up, it could be argued that PRS is heading more vintage, so it's not surprising that the 513 was pushed toward the vintage voice. Gravity sucks. The 513 wasn't new enough to resist it like the 408. In fact, there's only one guitar in the core line up that currently sports anything that could be considered a high output pick up, the Floyd Rose equipped custom 24. The Tremonti is gone.

However, that being said, I think it was mistake to withdraw the 513. It kind of destroyed the built in market of 513 fans that might have tried it that now view it as a inferior replacement for the 513. I certainly viewed it that way when I first saw it and almost didn't jump on it. I am glad I did, because it convinced me one note at a time that it was an exceptional instrument. What I am currently concerned about is that this guitar will not get the shake it deserves, and it will follow other single coil guitars into the void like the DC3 and the 305 which were no where near as good as the 509 is. After that, nothing will remain.

To me as a 513 owner I´m reluctant for spending money for a 509, because - according to Dancing Frogs explanations - it deals with singlecoil and clear humbucking. A more vintage orientated appearance. To be able to switch from treble´s SC rhythm play to bass´ HB solo play only with the 5 way selector is not increases not my personal gain, because now I have to adjust three switches for my general voicings.
And I love to have the oppportunity to augment my humbucker voicing by the heavy humbucking.
To me a 513 dealt/deals with perfect and simple versality for all styles an electric guitar is used. The 509 has an assumed smaller corridor.

Maert, are talking playing in the 4th position on the five-way with middle and bridge SC engaged, then flicking the 3 way from SC to heavy humbucking?

The core Tremonti is still listed on the PRS website for 2017.
It's under the signature section. I guess I didn't look that far. I stand corrected, but I still think the rest of the line is moving toward vintage. Customs going 85/15. Hollow bodies going 58/15 LT.

I love the new switching and like the vintage aspect of it since I don't use heavy HB mode that much
but still, I wouldn't give up my 513 for anything :)

@Snoopygore71, please be so kind and elaborate your question for non-native-speaker ;-)

I realize differences in the tone - even on 2nd or 4th position - flipping from SC to HH.

Changed strings on the GOTM 509 for the first time yesterday. I usually don't wait 6 months to change strings, but I was intimidated by the Gen III trem with locking saddles. I was right to fear the locking features. The high E string broke the minute I starting unscrewing the locking feature which essentially acted like a saw on the taught string. I had to remove the locks completely to get some of the strings in. Not something that I would want do onstage or in low lighting conditions. That being said, it is not a feature on the production 509 which I think is probably is a good thing.

Last edited:
Back