PRS 408 vs 408 Semi-hollow Comparison

DavidRome

I recently played a PRS 408 Semi-Hollow w/Rosewood Neck Wood Library guitar but I had to drive 3 hours to get there. I won't mention the dealer but they are sweet people. Lol I did meet several 408 owners and it seems that anyone who owns one of these is in love with it.

Anyway, I took some of my own guitars to compare them with and I was blown away by the tone of the 408 (semi-hollow) which happen to be pretty hot pickups. However, when I was there I neglected to try some of the other versions of 408. They have some with Korena bodies and Hog necks not to mention the whole solid body version.

I have been listening to every 408 Youtube video I can find. And I'm not sure I can tell much difference with the semi-hollow which costs more than the solid body. I was wondering if hotter pickups makes the body less of a factor. It seems like lower output guitars take on more of the wood sound when some degree of hollowness is present. But I could be entirely wrong and it wouldn't be the first (or last) time for that matter. Lol

So does anyone have experiences with both of these guitars? Can you tell me if you notice much difference between semi-hollow and solidbody? What about korena or different neck woods?

I thank you in advance for your comments. Thanks!

BTW, here are the guitars I compared to it. (Mostly tonal comparisons) They all play great. I was considering selling one of them to get the 408 but I hate to part with any of them.

2012 P22 Faded Blue Burst, Pattern Regular Neck, HFS/VB pickups, 10 top
2016 Hollowbody II, Pattern Neck, Black Gold, 58/25 pickups & Piezo, 10 Top
2016 Custom 24 Semi-Hollow, Rosewood Neck, Pattern Thin, Wood Library, 58/15 pickups, Artist Top/Package

ZCO7g8iZKmsGSb8oMcV6FgJgUHUdMJK8DyPtzL78mHWSEiZttJJyQzLiB4t6BoEfZQ9vAr2OhQ_NlhL2t2CPzTJcXAxjtVI8wicwPfXYDlEsFGipm95t_JChmSv0N8NmBVUpc-E9JwdWrmXiZeJagG_0IWiAgREAEMKABxdT8xOuzk7lGMsJmoI2RKWxIVzpR95N-A4tE1XdLFqmNnqwMKKVevsR2l3fOvkENONOi_XcTHERLTfEFs5WAZ1eeBU7AKMrQ7c4Sv2JoNu5Djzz5IdzWPgDnMP9ZlUo4TMq02TN1h6FKmlSEr4dJgVAHI7lCP9VAOg_84Qob656li-kfG3EgBMhQeQe778ptBydk7J1PrWZXYqskZ0by0GLPQ4Y5iFoU79pWcWF1Sy9vmKzPIX_MMi93sgOOLzPr1h5JMNhtVQZ9do2rivoXfTYxBGvwDhYpa_Lj_h1PJE4Eg8K57MtMl3m-VtdkeEhcIs1-PTdct4De6H_Qmpm32b9mwQd1KM1NC0k639P8Uwmr1dN7ZEQ_ssrkguFTZazn0Xm2-3qbGEdEI7S_dTXne-x3CaQ9lRYVmXe5X5O-ZDmSOlhzqJ1G7B9aOQqLaaaMisyIQ=w1368-h769-no

Im a big 408 fan both mine a solid bodys my fav is a standard ( hog body ) with a rosewood neck ( its in this video )

Im a big 408 fan both mine a solid bodys my fav is a standard ( hog body ) with a rosewood neck ( its in this video )

Yeah, both definitely sound good. I kinda like the Maple top a bit more but I'd be happy with either one. Lol

Also, I liked that you named your guitar.

A semi-hollow is a more subtle difference from solid than full hollow, but it still resonates a bit differently.

More evident on clean than dirty settings.

A semi-hollow is a more subtle difference from solid than full hollow, but it still resonates a bit differently.

More evident on clean than dirty settings.

Thanks for your thoughts. That's kind of what I'm thinking but I'd like to hear from someone who has played both in the 408 line.

My question: Is it worth the extra couple thousand since I have to buy the semi-hollow new but can find solid bodies used? Some differences on guitars are audible but "subtle" enough that most people in a band setting can't tell a difference, especially since some of those differences are masked by adjusted settings.

Thanks for your thoughts. That's kind of what I'm thinking but I'd like to hear from someone who has played both in the 408 line.

Can’t blame ya for wanting to hear from folks who’ve had both 408s.

My perspective comes from having owned a lot of solid bodied Custom 22s and later a semi-hollow CU22 Ltd., though I’ve got a PS with 408 pickups, and previously had a Signature Ltd (408 pickups), and a 408. Before I went all-PRS, I had some semi hollow Andersons, Ricks, 335, etc.

Would people in a band setting hear the difference? Depends on the band and the material. In a metal or loud rock band with more than one guitarist? Probably not. In a jazz setting, definitely; for country clean solos, probably.

Well, being as I already have a CU24 semi-hollow, I was kinda thinking that I might be happy adding a 408 solid body instead of selling my semi-hollow to offset the higher cost of the 408 semi-hollow. (Btw, All three guitars look much better in person. The pic actually makes them look bad.)

Back