PRS 35th Anniversary SE Custom 24

ivanfoofoo

Hi everyone,

I bought a PRS 35th Anniversary SE Custom 24 and it's a really nice guitar. I really like the neck, weight and how it feels overall. I do like the coil-split functionality, but for some reason I don't like the humbucker sounds. This is specially evident with the neck pickup, it doesn't have the bite that I might expect from it, maybe this is due to the low output, but I don't really know.

According to the PRS website, both pickups are TCI “S”. I tried different pickup heights and still cannot find that neck pickup tone that might be more associated with Gibson guitars.

I would like to know if anyone else has experienced the same and if you have any recommendations. Maybe another pickup I might use to replace the stock neck one.

Hi I have the same problem with my SE Custom 22, found both factory pickups terrible and war searching for another pickup . I read a lot about it and decided to change to Hot Rodded humbucker pickups from Seymour Duncan. I dont know if will be assosiated to Gibson sound. You will find some sound samples on Youtube.
I got the delivery with the humbucker set today and intend to install them in the next days.

I requested here in forum for wiring diagrams but got no answer yet. I wanted to install two push pull switches to spit to coil and a set to parallel and series wiring but it seems to be diffucult and and I will take the default wiring form Seymour Duncan website.

I find the same. Even if someone could make the argument that those are good pickups, which they might, I find that the neck and the bridge pickups don't sound *that* different. I expect that difference to be very drastic, and in this guitar that's not the case.

This is specially evident with the neck pickup, it doesn't have the bite that I might expect from it, maybe this is due to the low output, but I don't really know.
I got my 35th CU SE last May and in my case the 85/15 TCI S's pickups were a real pleasant surprise for me. I love them and will never change them. I play everything from blues to high gain metal and these pickups so satisfyingly deliver the goods for each tone genre. Before I bought my 35th a few people told me that these pickups would have low output and can't be used for metal but they were wrong. I don't need a hotter pickup in my case which is why your comment about the low output struck me odd. I never touched my pickup height either. What are you playing your guitar through?

I got my 35th CU SE last May and in my case the 85/15 TCI S's pickups were a real pleasant surprise for me. I love them and will never change them. I play everything from blues to high gain metal and these pickups so satisfyingly deliver the goods for each tone genre. Before I bought my 35th a few people told me that these pickups would have low output and can't be used for metal but they were wrong. I don't need a hotter pickup in my case which is why your comment about the low output struck me odd. I never touched my pickup height either. What are you playing your guitar through?

I'm ok with the bridge pickup overall. My main problem is with the neck pickup. I find it lacks some "oomph".

I tried different setups and have many guitars, so I know where the "issue" is. But to answer your question I'm currently using a Boss Katana 100 with a Boss GT-100.

I'm ok with the bridge pickup overall. My main problem is with the neck pickup. I find it lacks some "oomph".

I tried different setups and have many guitars, so I know where the "issue" is. But to answer your question I'm currently using a Boss Katana 100 with a Boss GT-100.
From what I've heard the Katana can get get you pretty much any tone your after so it looks like you should look into switching the pickup since you find it lacking in "oomph", as you say. I've been thinking of getting a either Katana Artistist Mkii or the Katana head myself.

Back