PRS 30 Amp?

telemaster03

I've been looking at these used for a while now, it seems that the head version can be found pretty inexpensively if you look around a bit. Not a lot of info out about them but when they were new they seem to get pretty good reviews and from what I can gather Warren Haynes liked them pretty well.

I'm a fan of EL84 amps and the single channel doesn't bother me, I like that the head has reverb. Anyone have any experience with them?

I don’t have one of those but I do have a PRS head and the build quality is top notch. They even went so far as to use expensive tubes (Winged C) instead of some other pedestrian versions.

The 30 is a cool amp. I fell in love with a Sweet 16, but wanted more power. I ended up with a Sweet 16+, which is 40 watts, with 6L6s. More my speed than El84s.

You won't be disappointed.

What’s the clean headroom like on the “+”? They look tiny, and I kinda want one.

What’s the clean headroom like on the “+”? They look tiny, and I kinda want one.

Headroom's pretty good--a loud 40 watts. I've shuffled preamp tubes a few times, trying to get the best balance. I've got to say, the midrange is very different than the regular Sweet 16. More Marshall flavored, but still with a stout low end.

It's compact-ish, but sofa king heavy! I don't have it in the house right now, so I can't weigh it. I'm guestimating it's around, I don't know, 800 lbs? Big @ss transformers.

I also went through a half dozen speakers and settled back on the Warehouse ET65 that it came with.

Come over, and give it a spin...but bring the Santana. :)

Last edited:
I have one and like it a lot. It is louder than I need but occasionally I get the call for a gig where the guitar is not through the PA. Not to harsh or bright. Very usable tones. It sounds pretty sweet at low volumes also.

Back