PRS 30 Amp?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by telemaster03, Jun 8, 2020.

1. telemaster03

telemaster03 New Member

I've been looking at these used for a while now, it seems that the head version can be found pretty inexpensively if you look around a bit. Not a lot of info out about them but when they were new they seem to get pretty good reviews and from what I can gather Warren Haynes liked them pretty well.

I'm a fan of EL84 amps and the single channel doesn't bother me, I like that the head has reverb. Anyone have any experience with them?

2. Tahlee

Tahlee Tollywood Rhode Island

I don’t have one of those but I do have a PRS head and the build quality is top notch. They even went so far as to use expensive tubes (Winged C) instead of some other pedestrian versions.

telemaster03 and Boogie like this.
  3. Egads

Egads One, Two, THIRTEEN!

The 30 is a cool amp. I fell in love with a Sweet 16, but wanted more power. I ended up with a Sweet 16+, which is 40 watts, with 6L6s. More my speed than El84s.

You won't be disappointed.

telemaster03, bodia and sergiodeblanc like this.
  4. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc I like to party, mmm hmm, everybody does.

What’s the clean headroom like on the “+”? They look tiny, and I kinda want one.

telemaster03 likes this.
  5. Egads

Headroom's pretty good--a loud 40 watts. I've shuffled preamp tubes a few times, trying to get the best balance. I've got to say, the midrange is very different than the regular Sweet 16. More Marshall flavored, but still with a stout low end.

It's compact-ish, but sofa king heavy! I don't have it in the house right now, so I can't weigh it. I'm guestimating it's around, I don't know, 800 lbs? Big @ss transformers.

I also went through a half dozen speakers and settled back on the Warehouse ET65 that it came with.

Come over, and give it a spin...but bring the Santana. :)

#5 Egads, Jun 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2020
  6. sergiodeblanc

sergiodeblanc I like to party, mmm hmm, everybody does.

I’ll bring a few Santana shaped things. ;)

telemaster03, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  7. Egads

If you can fit 'em. If not, just bring Paco and the Mrs. We'll make veggie enchiladas and watermelon margaritas. My daughter will entertain Paco.

#7 Egads, Jun 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    dogrocketp, bodia and Alnus Rubra like this.
  8. Wiebuschk

Wiebuschk New Member

I have one and like it a lot. It is louder than I need but occasionally I get the call for a gig where the guitar is not through the PA. Not to harsh or bright. Very usable tones. It sounds pretty sweet at low volumes also.

dogrocketp and telemaster03 like this.