Prs 2020 new models hopes

To be honest, I would be surprised if this was added to the core line. Its a 'Limited Edition' run - for those that managed to buy one - and to make it part of the core line would stop it being a Limited Edition. Its possible they could do something different - maybe a single coil in the middle or more likely, remove the middle pick-up altogether and make it a Custom 22-08. Another option could be to make it solid - so the Limited Edition variant is the Semi-hollow build. I think a 22-08 would be most likely - after all, there is a Custom 24-08.
It makes great business sense to test the water with a limited release and see how the market responds.
There seems to be much more hype from the SSH than the others that got released the same time (594sc sh for example), so it's possible to become a core unit.
The hollowbody 594 was a limited release private stock, I think the solid 594 started life as a limited edition too.

Paul will likely want a limit to the number of core guitars available in any one year, so it may come down to a unit making way for the SSH.

first off i am drooling at the CE24
DW being made permanent

Wondering what else may come

Would love to see some new colors on the CE purple, more smokebursts. , ebony neck

Also a Silversky SE

What do you guys hope for ?

A lefty Silver Sky. Please. Pretty please.

It makes great business sense to test the water with a limited release and see how the market responds.
There seems to be much more hype from the SSH than the others that got released the same time (594sc sh for example), so it's possible to become a core unit.
The hollowbody 594 was a limited release private stock, I think the solid 594 started life as a limited edition too.

Paul will likely want a limit to the number of core guitars available in any one year, so it may come down to a unit making way for the SSH.

I think there is a big difference by making a completely 'new' limited edition Private Stock to see if there is interest in an instrument to it becoming part of the core range of models. A limited edition core run like the SSH is already a 'core' model - albeit made in a limited run and making that part of the core line undermines the limited edition status of those already made. There was absolutely no point in making them a 'Limited Edition' and, if it wasn't popular, dropping it from the line up after a year or 2 would be an option rather than state its a Limited Edition run and then just continuing to make it indefinitely - that's hardly 'Limited Edition'.

I can see them continuing with some aspect, like dropping the middle pick-up and maybe even the semi-hollow aspect and making a Custom 22-08 as part of the 2020 onward Core models - it seems more likely to me especially as there is a Custom 24-08 and with Paul's guitar, I could see the 408 being dropped. The 22-08 offering a different option to Paul's and one with a trem bridge as well as standard size HB's for those that aren't satisfied with stock.

Anyway, we will soon hear no doubt...

To be honest, I would be surprised if this was added to the core line. Its a 'Limited Edition' run - for those that managed to buy one - and to make it part of the core line would stop it being a Limited Edition. Its possible they could do something different - maybe a single coil in the middle or more likely, remove the middle pick-up altogether and make it a Custom 22-08. Another option could be to make it solid - so the Limited Edition variant is the Semi-hollow build. I think a 22-08 would be most likely - after all, there is a Custom 24-08.
Wouldn’t be the first or probably even the 5th time that’s happened. If they sell great, PRS will make them.

I think there is a big difference by making a completely 'new' limited edition Private Stock to see if there is interest in an instrument to it becoming part of the core range of models. A limited edition core run like the SSH is already a 'core' model - albeit made in a limited run and making that part of the core line undermines the limited edition status of those already made. There was absolutely no point in making them a 'Limited Edition' and, if it wasn't popular, dropping it from the line up after a year or 2 would be an option rather than state its a Limited Edition run and then just continuing to make it indefinitely - that's hardly 'Limited Edition'.

I can see them continuing with some aspect, like dropping the middle pick-up and maybe even the semi-hollow aspect and making a Custom 22-08 as part of the 2020 onward Core models - it seems more likely to me especially as there is a Custom 24-08 and with Paul's guitar, I could see the 408 being dropped. The 22-08 offering a different option to Paul's and one with a trem bridge as well as standard size HB's for those that aren't satisfied with stock.

Anyway, we will soon hear no doubt...
Not sure if this is an emotional message... out of curiously did you get the SSH because it's a "limited edition" and perhaps expect it to be more valuable than other core guitars?

Not sure if this is an emotional message... out of curiously did you get the SSH because it's a "limited edition" and perhaps expect it to be more valuable than other core guitars?

Not at all - value only matters if you are planning to keep it cased and sell in the future - certainly wasn't my plan!! The only thing that the Limited Edition status that this guitar had was cause me to rush into buying and not wait for one in my preferred colour. As soon as I was told that PRS were not making more for the UK and that they couldn't get one in Fire Red burst, I bought the 'best of the rest' in my opinion - others may prefer other colours themselves but the thought that it being limited made me rush to save and as soon as I had the money, jump in and buy instead of waiting.

Like I said, Its 'value' only matters if I plan to sell in the future and if I wanted to maximise its 'value' I wouldn't play it either. In numerous posts, I have urged others to buy the Special over other models they were considering by stating that the guitar is Limited and will disappear from sale sooner whilst there other consideration will still be available as they were part of the regular core list.

Its more likely that I would feel like I have been lied too if PRS opted to make this part of the core line and also made me a liar too....

Not at all - value only matters if you are planning to keep it cased and sell in the future - certainly wasn't my plan!! The only thing that the Limited Edition status that this guitar had was cause me to rush into buying and not wait for one in my preferred colour. As soon as I was told that PRS were not making more for the UK and that they couldn't get one in Fire Red burst, I bought the 'best of the rest' in my opinion - others may prefer other colours themselves but the thought that it being limited made me rush to save and as soon as I had the money, jump in and buy instead of waiting.

Like I said, Its 'value' only matters if I plan to sell in the future and if I wanted to maximise its 'value' I wouldn't play it either. In numerous posts, I have urged others to buy the Special over other models they were considering by stating that the guitar is Limited and will disappear from sale sooner whilst there other consideration will still be available as they were part of the regular core list.

Its more likely that I would feel like I have been lied too if PRS opted to make this part of the core line and also made me a liar too....

The limited PS run of Signature Limiteds became a run of Core Signature Limiteds became the 408. I had a Sig Ltd. and a 408. The Ltd. had some unique details and different switching.

The Artist II I had became the Custom 22. A bit different in the details, inlays and purfling. And there have been others.

I wasn’t the least bit upset; if there’s demand, PRS or any business should meet that demand, or risk going down the tubes.

What you have is a limited run. If it later becomes a Core model, you still have an example of the precursor limited run. It doesn’t become any less limited for its model year if they later make a Core model, though they never made a Core model of my CU22 SemiHollow Ltd., and I doubt you’ll see a Core of yours.

The limited PS run of Signature Limiteds became a run of Core Signature Limiteds became the 408. I had a Sig Ltd. and a 408. The Ltd. had some unique details and different switching.

The Artist II I had became the Custom 22. A bit different in the details, inlays and purfling. And there have been others.

I wasn’t the least bit upset; if there’s demand, PRS or any business should meet that demand, or risk going down the tubes.

What you have is a limited run. If it later becomes a Core model, you still have an example of the precursor limited run. It doesn’t become any less limited for its model year if they later make a Core model, though they never made a Core model of my CU22 SemiHollow Ltd., and I doubt you’ll see a Core of yours.

I am aware of that and agree that PRS should do what's best for them.

The point initially wasn't about Limited Editions and what that means - although I do think a Limited Edition should be just that. I just think that it should remain 'Limited Edition' in this exact format - whether that means making a Solid version permanent and/or maybe dropping the NF and making a 22-08 - something that is maybe very close to the LE version but with some change on the details...

To decide to keep making it exactly the same as part of the core line just seems wrong to me and it maybe just semantics over the 'Limited Edition' that these were sold as. Making a Solid version as part of the core line for example would be fine - its still a Special just without the 'semi-hollow' bit - like the Limited Edition of a Double Cut 594 for example.

As I said, its not about worrying whether my guitar would be worth less if they decide to make it a permanent thing. That may matter to a collector that bought it as an asset and keeps it cased in storage with the intention to sell sometime in the future but I bought mine as an instrument to play and if it gets the wear and tear that playing it can and no doubt will lead to, I am not going to be counting the potential loss of value as it goes from mint, to excellent to good. Its part of my collection and in circulation. It was also bought with the intention to keep for life so I will not benefit from any 'sale' and wasn't bought as an asset for my son to inherit to set him up for example - it was bought for me to play and enjoy now.

I just think though that if it is to become part of the core line, then it should be 'changed' in some way - even if its nothing more than making a solid body version or even putting a different PU in the middle.

I am aware of that and agree that PRS should do what's best for them.

The point initially wasn't about Limited Editions and what that means - although I do think a Limited Edition should be just that. I just think that it should remain 'Limited Edition' in this exact format - whether that means making a Solid version permanent and/or maybe dropping the NF and making a 22-08 - something that is maybe very close to the LE version but with some change on the details...

To decide to keep making it exactly the same as part of the core line just seems wrong to me and it maybe just semantics over the 'Limited Edition' that these were sold as. Making a Solid version as part of the core line for example would be fine - its still a Special just without the 'semi-hollow' bit - like the Limited Edition of a Double Cut 594 for example.

As I said, its not about worrying whether my guitar would be worth less if they decide to make it a permanent thing. That may matter to a collector that bought it as an asset and keeps it cased in storage with the intention to sell sometime in the future but I bought mine as an instrument to play and if it gets the wear and tear that playing it can and no doubt will lead to, I am not going to be counting the potential loss of value as it goes from mint, to excellent to good. Its part of my collection and in circulation. It was also bought with the intention to keep for life so I will not benefit from any 'sale' and wasn't bought as an asset for my son to inherit to set him up for example - it was bought for me to play and enjoy now.

I just think though that if it is to become part of the core line, then it should be 'changed' in some way - even if its nothing more than making a solid body version or even putting a different PU in the middle.

Believe me, Moz, I understand where you’re coming from, I just disagree in a friendly way whether creating a Core model would be somehow untruthful, given that they reserve the right to make changes to their models and lineup, and say so somewhere in their literature.

Fact is, however, that PRS has nearly always changed a detail here or there going from Ltd. to standard production; I don’t know of any where they haven’t, but I of course don’t know every model’s history.

I seem to recall that the guitar you have was limited only as to when dealers could place the orders, thus being similar to my Ltd 594 Soapbar in that way. The numbers weren’t limited, just the timing when the orders.

I have two PS guitars that were limited to runs of (I think) 60 or 80 pieces each. Had nothing to do with why I bought them, of course. I don’t really care about that stuff, since like you, I’m no collector, I’m a player (11Top’s opinion to the contrary notwithstanding! ;)).

However, I wouldn’t be the least bit upset if PRS were to reissue my limited edition PS models as Core models; in fact, the 20th PS Anniversary model from 2016 remains the coolest (for me, anyway) solid body guitar PRS has ever made, and it really ought to be a Core model for everyone to enjoy. Unfortunately, that hasn’t happened, but damn, it’s a wonderful guitar, and folks who have the opportunity to play one would flip over it, no doubt in my mind.

Would they make the Core model with the fancy inlays, wood binding, Madagascar fretboard, and locking saddles like the PS limited? I’d guess not. But it is a phenomenal guitar, and I hope one day they make Cores so other PRS players can get a crack at having one.

P.S. - my post above contains a regrettable sentence fragment ending with, “just the timing when the orders.”

I tried to correct it, but got the dreaded “Internal Server Error” message.

In any event, I don’t want anyone to think I went to sleep in my middle school English classes. I only nodded off occasionally. ;)

P.S. - my post above contains a regrettable sentence fragment ending with, “just the timing when the orders.”

I tried to correct it, but got the dreaded “Internal Server Error” message.

In any event, I don’t want anyone to think I went to sleep in my middle school English classes. I only nodded off occasionally. ;)

words are hard, theirfore, I forgive you

Regardless - I think its being blown out of all proportion.

I think its more likely that PRS would add a Custom 22-08 in my opinion and in my opinion, I would be surprised if the do make the Special Semi-Hollow a core model. That's my opinion - whether or not Limited Editions do or don't end up becoming core runs, whether or not some small change happens that differentiates it slightly etc that is not the point. I was responding to someone who said they wouldn't be surprised if and I would be surprised if...

Regardless of what 'Limited Edition' means with PRS and what has happened in the Past, I still would be surprised if the Special Semi-Hollow is added to the 2020 core line and think there is more chance a Custom 22-08 would be added - after all it matches up with the Custom 24 line and we have a P22. The Floyd 22 seems less likely to me so why not add a Custom 22-08, use the switching and replace the 5-way with a 3 way and you have a 22-08....

The purpose of this thread was, as far as I understand it, the PRS 2020 new models - not whether or not Limited Edition means anything to PRS or whether they have done PS limited edition models that end up as a core model. I still don't think the Special Semi-Hollow will end up being a Core model for 2020 which was my initial point in the first place before this 'discussion' about Limited Edition, Limited Run, or any other variation that implies a guitar is only being made and be available for a limited time - either in shops or to make an order.

Until we know exactly what models will be in the 2020 line-up, it seems some will and others will not be surprised if the Special Semi Hollow stops being a 'Limited Edition' guitar and becomes a regular Core guitar. After we know, some may well be surprised and others won't, some may well be right with their predictions as to what guitars (if any) are added/removed from the current (2019) range of guitars available. None of us, at least as far as I know, have any insider information that they are able and willing to share as to which (if any) new models will be added so for all of us, its a prediction. I won't be jumping up and down and yelling I told you so IF PRS don't make the Special Semi-Hollow part of their regular core models for 2020, not even if they drop the 408 and add a Custom 22-08 with the same layout/switching (obviously replacing the 5-way with a 3-way) as the Special as I think is the more likely and have said so. If they do make the Special Semi-Hollow part of the core line - then so be it too - it won't affect me and my enjoyment of my own.

I may feel a bit disappointed because I would have ordered one in Fire Burst Red instead but they weren't taking orders or, I was told, making any more of them (not for 'general' release but obviously still making them to fulfil existing orders). I may not of 'urged' people to buy whilst they still can and make it a priority over other models because its not staying around like the regular core line up for those who were undecided over a Special and 509 or whatever core guitar they were also considering. None of this though will have any impact on my enjoyment of my PRS guitars or, I doubt, affect my purchasing in the future.

Anyway, can we now get back to the actual topic and predict or wish for which guitars will be added in to the 2020 PRS Core line-up....

Maple neck/fretboard CE model with 57/08 bridge and two SS single coils. 5 way plus coil split on the bridge. Would make me forget about getting a Silver Sky for ever!

Why not go for an Artist Package Core Cu24 Stoptail?
L2ysOki.jpg
Beautiful guitar. PRS does not offer you the option of going with a stoptail bridge on a Custom 24 anymore. They used to, but now, it's only available on Private Stocks if you want new. Every now and then, a P24 stoptail, mira 24 stoptail, or something along those lines pops up on reverb. But they are rare for sure.

Need a custom 24 (or SE, S2, CE - 24 frets) with stoptail option! i am tired of waiting forever for these to show up on Reverb they are so rare. Can't a man just drop D whenever he wants and not have to retune?

I feel ya man, I have 4 of those things because of how rare and amazing they are. One is a Holcomb Core, 1 is a PS Custom 24 semi hollow, one is a KL1812 overhaul from PTC that I had remade basically, and another is a limited one with a 2 piece tune-o-matic.

there's a p24 on reverb right now though. https://reverb.com/item/28960571-prs-p-24-hardtail-10-top-limited-edition

Back