PRS 1986

Wolf

Hi guys, so I´m about to buy a prs from "1986". The only problem is that there has been some work done to it and im trying to figure out whats original and what has been changed on the guitar.

The paint has unfortunately been stripped and someone has tried enlarge (?) the space where the pots are placed. Main question though is how to date the potts and the guitar and how i see if the pickups and threeway swich are original or not.
The main problem is that when the paint was stripped the serial number was stripped too, so is there anny way to actually claim that it is from 1986???
And if the case is original, but i doubt it...
prs9_zpsec1c340a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
prs8_zps39aa27b4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG][video][/video]
prs7_zps72788fb6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
prs2_zps9b07fbb6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
prs3_zpsd276a3f6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
prs1_zps78ec0934.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
prs5_zps348b3eb2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
prs6_zps89517348.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
prs4_zps90bc17b5.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Dont have too many photos but here are some, hope they can give some clues atleast...

And something tells me that the threeway switch and one of the pots have at least switched position

Why is there a screw at just below the neck heel???

My guess (and only a guess) is that is where a previous owner installed the strap button, and the screw there "hides" the hole.

Pix of the pickup cavities?

In any event, the mods have killed the collector value. Get it for the right price, sell off the T & B pickups, and set that bad boy up just how you like it. It'll make an awesome player.

Last edited:
Pix of the pickup cavities?

In any event, the mods have killed the collector value. Get it for the right price, sell off the T & B pickups, and set that bad boy up just how you like it. It'll make an awesome player.

Just curious why you would sell the T and B pickups? Do you not like them?

it looks awesome!!! as mention, the pot shown is a replacement, original may have went bad. it is an old guitar and was played. I also agree on the switch and the reason for the screw in the back (strap button). The T and B pickups I think are legit- just not everyone's favorite-- you may like them alot!!!!. I do have a question, there seems to be two holes on the front between the bridge pickup and trem. I wonder if that was for a synth setup. Also if you can get picks of the cavity so we can see writing that would be cool.

it looks awesome!!! as mention, the pot shown is a replacement, original may have went bad. it is an old guitar and was played. I also agree on the switch and the reason for the screw in the back (strap button). The T and B pickups I think are legit- just not everyone's favorite-- you may like them alot!!!!. I do have a question, there seems to be two holes on the front between the bridge pickup and trem. I wonder if that was for a synth setup. Also if you can get picks of the cavity so we can see writing that would be cool.

I didn't notice the midi pickup screw holes. My used CE22 has the same thing. Some idiot screwed through the maple top but the guitar was cheap and it rocks so I don't care.

I didnt notice those screw holes, but I think you´re right, I wouldn´t be surprised if they were for midi pickups... Il try to get some picks of the cavity, havent seen nor played the guitar in years, but i remember that it was an awesome player...
Btw, shouldnt there be more than just 2 springs? and anny comments about the tuners, and how can you know if the pots and threeway switch has been changed?

Last edited:
Are you sure that it has been stripped? Looks like a nice standard to me

In 1986, the all-mahogany model known simply as "The PRS Guitar" (now referred to as the "pre-standard") was painted the same color all over. Headstock color only differed on the Customs. The headstock color on this guitar (if original) was the guitar's original color. Unless it's been removed or covered, this information can be found in one of the pickup cavities.

and the serial number is gone too, so they must have stripped the paint...

and the serial number is gone too, so they must have stripped the paint...

That info should be in the pup cavity too. In some cases the first number (within the complete serial number) differs between the headstock and the cavity.

If a guitar was started in December of 1985, the number might read "5_0480". If it was finished in January of 1986, the headstock might read "6_0480".

If the pup cavity has been painted, a little sand paper will probably reveal the info.

Back