Protecting Paul Reed Smith's signature on a back plate cover

Ampguy

I remember reading several posts about this subject, but have been unable to find the posts from searching. Can anyone direct me to the original posts or just recommend the best way to protect the signature? My signed control cover plates have held up due to their position on the guitar, when being played. There is no contact with the gut. A signed tremolo cover plate, however, will be rubbed more often when playing. Sorry about the re-hash of this subject, but, HELP!

Here is one thread I started.
http://prsguitars.com/forum/showthr...-to-preserve-Paul-s-signature&highlight=cover

I did not want to spray stuff on mine and chance ruining it, so I have one cover displayed that he signed with my name on it on my wall for display, and the other cover put away in my guitar case cabinet.

1.jpg

I didn't have any signatures on my tremolo back cover, but you can just take the cover off and leave it that way. If it doesn't bother you that much, just rock it without the cover, but remember not to play with the trem when you're noodling stark naked :haha: Plus, you get to adjust the tremolo claw screws without the need to take off the back cover every time.

I remember reading several posts about this subject, but have been unable to find the posts from searching. Can anyone direct me to the original posts or just recommend the best way to protect the signature? My signed control cover plates have held up due to their position on the guitar, when being played. There is no contact with the gut. A signed tremolo cover plate, however, will be rubbed more often when playing. Sorry about the re-hash of this subject, but, HELP!

I would guess that if you took the cover off and sprayed it with clear lacquer, for example, an automotive clear coat, it would be fine for a long time. Then simply put it back on the guitar.

I meant to get one signed this year but never made it. I have heard that if it was signed with a paint pen, which is what I'm told Paul typically uses, you shouldn't have a problem clear coating it. Wanted to test it myself but maybe next year. My source is in a position to know so even if it didn't work I would blame myself first.

I had imagined a PRS autograph on the back of the headstock with a paint pen being used.
But I don't know if that is the best idea or not, and furthermore, I wouldn't know how to get myself and my Custom 24 in front of him in order to beg for an autograph.
So I'm interested to see where this thread goes.

I had imagined a PRS autograph on the back of the headstock with a paint pen being used.
But I don't know if that is the best idea or not, and furthermore, I wouldn't know how to get myself and my Custom 24 in front of him in order to beg for an autograph.
So I'm interested to see where this thread goes.

He signs the back of the head stock for the private stock guitars, I doubt he'd sign "any old guitar" there.
I also doubt you'd have to beg for an autograph. He seems like a pretty nice guy.

He signs the back of the head stock for the private stock guitars, I doubt he'd sign "any old guitar" there.
I also doubt you'd have to beg for an autograph. He seems like a pretty nice guy.

So, a signature on the back of a headstock (amongst the tuners) is a spot reserved only for signatures if it is a private stock guitar?

And do I also understand you to say that a Maryland made Custom 24 qualifies as "any old guitar" (ie not good enough to be worthy of a PRS autograph)?

No, I think he will sign there. Scroll above to post #2, click on the link to the other thread. Scroll down to post# 11, you will see he signed a guitar on the back of the headstock. I have seen others signed here as well. If I were to seek out his signature, this is where I want it as well.

Guitars are not allowed to be brought into Experiences so I think that's why you see more backplate sigs. The appearances at dealer sites probably have different rules.

Guitars are not allowed to be brought into Experiences so I think that's why you see more backplate sigs. The appearances at dealer sites probably have different rules.

That makes sense.

When my youngest son and I went to see Paul a few months back at my dealer he signed both of our control covers with gold pen, and signed the back of my headstock.

Exactly. PRSH signs the backs of headstocks all of the time (at meet and greets)...

Jamie

At Sweetwater's Gearfest in June I got PRSh and Brent Mason to sign the tremolo backplate from my Brent Mason guitar. I figured it was easier to bring just the plate rather than lugging the whole guitar around. They used a gold Sharpie, and I've got some water-based spray sealer (similar to Krylon) to spray on the plate. It's been setting on a shelf since the end of June--the ink should be dry by now! I've got another plate on the guitar currently, but I'd like to put the signed one back on if it won't wear off. I suppose I should do a test with a Sharpie and the spray on a piece of scrap-something to make sure before I mess with the plate.

I would guess that if you took the cover off and sprayed it with clear lacquer, for example, an automotive clear coat, it would be fine for a long time. Then simply put it back on the guitar.

Do the first coat of lacquer/poly LIGHTLY! Do it too heavy and the paint pen will run... I learned the hard way with a invaluable Sergio de Blanc signature.

. I suppose I should do a test with a Sharpie and the spray on a piece of scrap-something to make sure before I mess with the plate.

Sharpie's are alcohol based and will run. You might want to test with paint pen to more accurately judge.

.. I learned the hard way with a invaluable Sergio de Blanc signature.

Where will you ever get another? He told me he hates signing them and crushed my hopes of getting one. :laugh:

Back