Pros vs. Cons of This Endeavor...?

PphXlte.jpg

I think of all the times I could be tacking on 10% surcharge for the rudeness and idiocy I go through each day (today was such a day).
Those people don’t define your life, you do.

Those people don’t define your life, you do.

You're correct, but very often it's the bad examples that receive undeserved recognition. I just wish to live my life as peaceably as possible, and avoid the certain "thinking adjustment" when someone who judges thinks my behavior doesn't meet with their approval. My feeling is that we all tend to judge according to how strongly some folks speak or act. The kicker is when folks can speak or act aggressively or passive-aggressively and still be within the letter of the law.

My problem today was when a woman at the deli counter cut in front of me while I was standing there and grabbed a number from the ticket machine. Realizing that I was likely in her way, my words were, "Sorry , m'am!" and stepped to one side. She looked at me with a half-smile/half-sneer and said, "Sure you are." Rather than put fuel on the fire, I said, "Didn't mean to be in your way," and walked away from her towards the other end of the counter. It bothered me for a while after arriving home, realizing the woman had been rude twice, first for not excusing herself when she cut in, then again, for the dig after.

Perhaps the reality of life is that in one form or another, we all experience indignities. I've tried growing a thicker skin, but the fact is, when you get "cut" and hurt enough times, that thicker skin is usually the result of scarred tissue that prevents you from feeling anything worthwhile. I'd prefer to not be insensitive to people, but the reality is that we're all being de-sensitized to life's dings, bumps and bruises. What happens when we become so de-sensitized that we can't feel anything anymore? Don't tell me what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I've cheated death 4 times in my life already; could have been killed each time. So, yeah, been there a few times, and lived to tell about it.

Sorry for the rant, it's not been a good past week...and am only not making you folks feel better today. Perhaps you folks deserve better, but my words aren't helping much...

If the Mooer doesn’t work out, a Tech21 SansAmp is designed to do what you’re trying to get the Two Notes to do.

They make a Blond one that emulates a Fender.

They also make a Fly Rig that weighs 21oz, could replace your whole pedalboard (minus the wah) and fit in a gig bag.

If the Mooer doesn’t work out, a Tech21 SansAmp is designed to do what you’re trying to get the Two Notes to do.

They also make a Fly Rig that weighs 21oz, could replace your whole pedalboard (minus the wah) and fit in a gig bag.

Thanks. I think the Mooer Two Stones will do well. The clean channel and slightly pushed 2nd channel sound fairly decent to my ears.

I'll check the SansAmp, I think Brett Kingman has some vids to this effect...

And my apologies to Les and VB; I was feeling a bit vulnerable earlier today when the woman from the deli essentially questioned my integrity. Perhaps it hurt my self-image more than was necessary, and the woman's actions were typical of these times we live in where we are often judged in public despite how well we may try to remain blameless. *sigh*

avoid the deli where possible. keep the faith, grocery aniety is real, i believe in your queueing integrity. thumbs up!

avoid the deli where possible. keep the faith, grocery anxiety is real, i believe in your queueing integrity. thumbs up!

Grocery anxiety happens relatively infrequently. Though just enough where anxiety exists.

My feeling is, I'm single, and intend to remain that way, though I've got lots of people bugging me about "Why aren't you married yet?" and "Wouldn't you be happier with a nice woman to care for you?"

Some folks just don't GET married, because they don't need to, and my current limitations prevent me from considering that. I'm not a hopeless romantic, nor in any way capable of being a husband (in this life). Yet, why are countless people grooming me for this? "You'll be happier once you're married."

I don't think so. My anxiety is not based on what I can give. It's based on what on what people expect from me that I can't give. And that bugs me to no end.

The deli cannot be avoided, but I'll be darned more diligent watching for folks who might cause me unnecessary anxiety, and avoid them like the plague ASAP.

That's a lie.

She's not behind me, is she? That would set a bad tone for our anniversary dinner.

TBH, I think it takes a great amount of commitment, love, being a to be a good provider, listener, forgiver, and numerous other hats my box of hats doesn't contain. It's something I think I'd not be happy with because my past relationships jaded me and also because my history proves that living under the same roof with one of more people for great length of time requires a darned better sense of humor than the one I've got currently. I think that's the buzzkill there. And the need to be able to take my shoes and socks off after a day's work and not offend another's olfactory sense. (Which if how I got rid of a bad roommate some years ago who was a bit of a bother after a couple months....(insert justifiable evil laugh here))

Am viewing the SansAmp ParaDI just now. Will check the Blonde in a couple minutes...

EDIT: Just viewed both SansAmp (Brett Kingman) videos. Although the ParaDI and Blonde both sound good, the caveat is still one needs an amp/mic/cab sim or similar device for the preamp to sound appreciably good.

Given that my effects boards' real estate is somewhat close proximity to each other, the Mooer Two Stone will allow relief in that area while still providing ample space for the CAB M. I think I'd need to give the Mooer a chance to shine when the pedal arrives Saturday prior to considering alternatives (the recent Neunaber Neuron looks interesting, but beyond my current budget...)

Will be spending a portion of my Friday evening re-wiring my FX board (again, LOL) in anticipation (the Heinz 57 ketchup song) and hopefully jam / practicing Sunday afternoon.

Last edited:
Well,

My Mooer has been delayed in transit, which only means one thing. More wait time.

No worries, am using my time working with my hands again, also organizing my coat room/storage area, cleaning out the "baggage" which only weighs you down. Simplifying, instead of complicating. A good percentage of my problem exists in all the "baggage" I've collected that I don't use that makes for a lack of focus.

Since I'm not overthinking this, hopefully the thought process (some folks might call 'crazy' or 'nuts') only translates to "keeping busy" and being involved in appropriate things. No college March Madness. No noisy parties or imbalanced viewpoints.

I did write previously that Neunaber now makes a Neuron effect. Some mental midget must have thought I wrote Neurosis effect.

A grocery store visit allowed me some nice peaches for a peach pie later this evening. The baking is my 'occupational therapy' instead of sitting with a group of AA dudes recanting my daily sojourn.

While it will be necessary for me to wait until my Mooer arrives, my FX board sits patiently until the preamp pedal can be added to my effects.

Last edited:
UPDATE:

Mooer still in transit from local USPS arrival hub, hopefully will see the 1st-Class package arrival Tuesday. In the interim, my recording questions are being answered via the Two Notes Help Desk. Am trying to determine if the CAB M can be used both for recording and with my guitar FX and amp's FX loop, rather than the amp's external speaker out.

An interesting question that's not addressed in the manual.

Also, have invested in an Audio Cab Grabber and Audio i5 mic for direct recording in addition to the CAB M, if necessary. Otherwise, may just skip the CAB M and mic my combo amp with attention to dual micing if the CAB M can't be used simultaneously direct to audio interface and combo amp. It that's the case, will work toward weight relief of the combo amp with a Celestion Neo Creamback speaker instead, and be forced tote my amp (albeit lighter weight) to / from open-mics.

The Mooer may be a moot point, though. May not need this if micing a lighter-weight amp will solve my recording and open-mic question.

UPDATE:

Mooer still in transit from local USPS arrival hub, hopefully will see the 1st-Class package arrival Tuesday. In the interim, my recording questions are being answered via the Two Notes Help Desk. Am trying to determine if the CAB M can be used both for recording and with my guitar FX and amp's FX loop, rather than the amp's external speaker out.

An interesting question that's not addressed in the manual.

Also, have invested in an Audio Cab Grabber and Audio i5 mic for direct recording in addition to the CAB M, if necessary. Otherwise, may just skip the CAB M and mic my combo amp with attention to dual micing if the CAB M can't be used simultaneously direct to audio interface and combo amp. It that's the case, will work toward weight relief of the combo amp with a Celestion Neo Creamback speaker instead, and be forced tote my amp (albeit lighter weight) to / from open-mics.

The Mooer may be a moot point, though. May not need this if micing a lighter-weight amp will solve my recording and open-mic question.

I know you may not like HP42 and his style of video but he has made quite a few video's on the CAB M. Today's video was about the usage with an Amp and it was used between the amp and speaker - its not a load box so would have to be connected to a either a speaker or a load box. As far as I understood though is that you were looking for a solution to eliminate the Amp altogether. I believed the issue was the transportation of an amp and having to lug it back and forth. Whether you can place it in the FX loop or have to use it between the amp and speaker, you will still be having too cart your amp around.

I was also under the impression that 'costs' were very limited and you could just about stretch to a CAB-M yet have now added a Mooer pre-amp and Audio Cab Grabber and Mic too. Its your choice of course but you probably could have saved some money and just bought a Helix - whether that was the big 'Floor' model, the 'LT' or the 'Stomp' (depending on budget). All 3 of these could have given you multiple Amp, Cab and Mic combinations - inc probably every Cab and Mic as well as others that the CAB M would offer. It would offer a lot of Amp choices, can act as a digital interface straight into a computer for recording or playing through monitors, cab go straight to a PA system and could probably add your boutique Amp to its library too. You could have the 'Stomp' on your Pedal board alongside your regular and preferred pedals, may even have enabled you to reduce the weight here as well by using any of the inbuilt FX pedals if they offer the same tone shaping etc that your current pedals offer. Point is that a Helix would of offered a lot more than a Mooer and CAB M would perhaps offer. You have (I believe) 72 Amps, 37 speaker cabs and 16 mics - as well as 194 FX. You can add profiles and IR's to it as well and has the option to go straight into a Computer, a PA etc too - meaning it could be a 'solution' for a wide range of applications - from home to studio to gigging - you literally just need that and a guitar...

Again, its your money, your choice. I am not criticising at all - just a little bemused by the path you have chosen after the parameters and budget you stipulated earlier on...

I know you may not like HP42 and his style of video but he has made quite a few video's on the CAB M. Today's video was about the usage with an Amp and it was used between the amp and speaker - its not a load box so would have to be connected to a either a speaker or a load box. As far as I understood though is that you were looking for a solution to eliminate the Amp altogether. I believed the issue was the transportation of an amp and having to lug it back and forth. Whether you can place it in the FX loop or have to use it between the amp and speaker, you will still be having too cart your amp around.

I was also under the impression that 'costs' were very limited and you could just about stretch to a CAB-M yet have now added a Mooer pre-amp and Audio Cab Grabber and Mic too. Its your choice of course but you probably could have saved some money and just bought a Helix - whether that was the big 'Floor' model, the 'LT' or the 'Stomp' (depending on budget). All 3 of these could have given you multiple Amp, Cab and Mic combinations - inc probably every Cab and Mic as well as others that the CAB M would offer. It would offer a lot of Amp choices, can act as a digital interface straight into a computer for recording or playing through monitors, cab go straight to a PA system and could probably add your boutique Amp to its library too. You could have the 'Stomp' on your Pedal board alongside your regular and preferred pedals, may even have enabled you to reduce the weight here as well by using any of the inbuilt FX pedals if they offer the same tone shaping etc that your current pedals offer. Point is that a Helix would of offered a lot more than a Mooer and CAB M would perhaps offer. You have (I believe) 72 Amps, 37 speaker cabs and 16 mics - as well as 194 FX. You can add profiles and IR's to it as well and has the option to go straight into a Computer, a PA etc too - meaning it could be a 'solution' for a wide range of applications - from home to studio to gigging - you literally just need that and a guitar...

Again, its your money, your choice. I am not criticising at all - just a little bemused by the path you have chosen after the parameters and budget you stipulated earlier on...

Had put a lot of thought into this, and realized my trend wasn't towards an all-in-one solution, nor was it with the CAB M. The purpose was to lighten my combo amp and still be able to record my rig well. A bit of hemming/hawing, back and forth, I settled on the Celestion G12 Neo Creamback 16 ohm. Also, a couple Audio CabGrabbers and a used (exc condition) Audix i5 mic, and a 19" gooseneck attachment for one CabGrabber. The price for all mentioned is about the same for the CAB M / Mooer together, perhaps less.

This way, the result will be a lighter amp combo (6 lbs lighter) & old school recording technique many have used before successfully, and portability with the CabGrabbers easy-on-easy-off spring-loaded attachment system. Also can be used for micing my combo at a gig, whereas the CAB M requires manual adjustment within the software prior or at the gig itself.

Easier on me & the house band: the host performs the soundcheck, something that might cause issues with the host if I performed my own CAB M gain/volume adjustments prior to showtime. Otherwise, just a quick continuity, FX & amp check prior.

Another advantage of micing the amp is that with 2 CabGrabbers, I can position 2 mics anywhere I need, and obtain the tone and sound quality I prefer, not need a multitude of CAB M cab models I'd never bother with.

I think what the concern was, with the growth of various modeling FX and amp/mic/cab sims, a lot of what is available to us within the design is overkill; simply more than one needs. Many might prefer the options for a variety of gigs and settings, but I prefer to stick with what I know, and what sounds good to me.

I may not even need the Mooer as a preamp anymore and might ask if it's possible to send it back, unopened. My ears are fairly well-tuned to what I like and dislike, and adding something that would throw the ball out of whack would not be, or sound good, without a doubt. Sticking with what I know, not venturing into questionable deep water...

Had put a lot of thought into this, and realized my trend wasn't towards an all-in-one solution, nor was it with the CAB M. The purpose was to lighten my combo amp and still be able to record my rig well. A bit of hemming/hawing, back and forth, I settled on the Celestion G12 Neo Creamback 16 ohm. Also, a couple Audio CabGrabbers and a used (exc condition) Audix i5 mic, and a 19" gooseneck attachment for one CabGrabber. The price for all mentioned is about the same for the CAB M / Mooer together, perhaps less.

This way, the result will be a lighter amp combo (6 lbs lighter) & old school recording technique many have used before successfully, and portability with the CabGrabbers easy-on-easy-off spring-loaded attachment system. Also can be used for micing my combo at a gig, whereas the CAB M requires manual adjustment within the software prior or at the gig itself.

Easier on me & the house band: the host performs the soundcheck, something that might cause issues with the host if I performed my own CAB M gain/volume adjustments prior to showtime. Otherwise, just a quick continuity, FX & amp check prior.

Another advantage of micing the amp is that with 2 CabGrabbers, I can position 2 mics anywhere I need, and obtain the tone and sound quality I prefer, not need a multitude of CAB M cab models I'd never bother with.

I think what the concern was, with the growth of various modeling FX and amp/mic/cab sims, a lot of what is available to us within the design is overkill; simply more than one needs. Many might prefer the options for a variety of gigs and settings, but I prefer to stick with what I know, and what sounds good to me.

I may not even need the Mooer as a preamp anymore and might ask if it's possible to send it back, unopened. My ears are fairly well-tuned to what I like and dislike, and adding something that would throw the ball out of whack would not be, or sound good, without a doubt. Sticking with what I know, not venturing into questionable deep water...

As I said its totally your choice. The point I was making though at the start of this conversation was the ways and means to have your sound, whether its in your room, in the studio or at gig without necessarily having to take an amp and all that gear up a cobbled path - and within a 'smallish' budget. Whether you would 'need' to use all 100 amps, cabs, mics even any of the FX of something like the Helix wasn't necessarily my point either - the purpose of my recommendation was to offer you a way to take your Amp, cab and preferred mic arrangement and placement in the most convenient and within a reasonable budget - so you didn't need to take your Boutique amp out with you and could still use your Amp at home if you wanted. The Helix is 'cheaper' than a Kemper - something MANY gigging Musicians are turning to because they can model their own Amp etc and plug straight into any PA or Studio and have their entire backline in one easily transported and convenient package - a lot more consistent to for any venue size or acoustic environment - a lot better and easier than trying to get the mic exactly right and EQ'd for each venue. Helix offers something similar but at a lower price point - hence it was my recommendation.

It seemed to fit right in with what you appeared to be looking for although you seemed fixated on the CAB M as your solution and nothing else, regardless of whether it actually could do the job in one package rather than require other pedals and almost certainly would change your sound where as the Helix would let you add your sound to it, profile and model it. Regardless of where you play, what venue, how far away you can park, what volume etc, you can take your sound in a single, easy to manage, consistent box that can connect up to basically any system and give you your 'sound'. Need to send the sound to your PC for recording - no problem, connect up to PA - simple. All you need is your guitar, lead and 'Helix'.

It makes no difference to me either way. Buying a Mic though is not reducing the weight and 'gear' you will need to carry but increase it. It still makes no difference to me though...

As I said its totally your choice. The point I was making though at the start of this conversation was the ways and means to have your sound, whether its in your room, in the studio or at gig without necessarily having to take an amp and all that gear up a cobbled path - and within a 'smallish' budget. Whether you would 'need' to use all 100 amps, cabs, mics even any of the FX of something like the Helix wasn't necessarily my point either - the purpose of my recommendation was to offer you a way to take your Amp, cab and preferred mic arrangement and placement in the most convenient and within a reasonable budget - so you didn't need to take your Boutique amp out with you and could still use your Amp at home if you wanted. The Helix is 'cheaper' than a Kemper - something MANY gigging Musicians are turning to because they can model their own Amp etc and plug straight into any PA or Studio and have their entire backline in one easily transported and convenient package - a lot more consistent to for any venue size or acoustic environment - a lot better and easier than trying to get the mic exactly right and EQ'd for each venue. Helix offers something similar but at a lower price point - hence it was my recommendation.

It seemed to fit right in with what you appeared to be looking for although you seemed fixated on the CAB M as your solution and nothing else, regardless of whether it actually could do the job in one package rather than require other pedals and almost certainly would change your sound where as the Helix would let you add your sound to it, profile and model it. Regardless of where you play, what venue, how far away you can park, what volume etc, you can take your sound in a single, easy to manage, consistent box that can connect up to basically any system and give you your 'sound'. Need to send the sound to your PC for recording - no problem, connect up to PA - simple. All you need is your guitar, lead and 'Helix'.

It makes no difference to me either way. Buying a Mic though is not reducing the weight and 'gear' you will need to carry but increase it. It still makes no difference to me though...

I think the element of growing older means still being able to do what you'd like despite increasing health concerns. The problem is in the physical activity, and the desire to slow down, when one should maintain one's health by keeping physically active, well on into later life. For me, that means cultivating an attitude of being happy despite the daily onslaught of negativity one might view elsewhere.

Regards the challenges of cobblestone walkways and reasonable budget, a lighter weight amp will make it easier to lift my rock 'n roller cart up a small set of stairs, and micing my amp at home using my familiar effects and amp describes my signature sound, not a digitally enhanced or modeled one.

Although I appreciate your viewpoint, my concern might be well justified in that a bad guess might lead me astray from what I personally know is tried and true old school technology. While digitally enhanced technology is still growing in popularity among the recent generation of musicians, I think I'd like to be among the old school folks who remember what it takes to record music the semi-old-fashioned way. Why? Because when those methods are forgotten and lost, what happens to things like microphones that are still being used everyday in media and reporting applications? One still needs a way to amplify and record the human voice; why not record other instruments the same way? Doing it another, or potentially wrong way might simply not be a good idea.

Since I'm already familiar with guitars, effects, amps, mics, audio interfaces, & GarageBand (somewhat), why need learn the I/Os of another piece of digital gear? Just a plug & play kind of guy myself. Would prefer to not need a crash course in CAB M, Helix, or similar.

FTR, the venue uses a set of ceiling mounted powered PA speakers with a bluetooth-accessible iPad mixer, and mic router. The venue host spends a portion of his time monitoring acoustic and vocal inputs. I'm not that certain putting an electric instrument/modeling device through the mic router would be too overwhelming in the mix, or if the result would be GIGO. The house band uses their gear via guitar and bass amps, perhaps micing a kick drum or cajon. The guest musicians plug their acoustic instruments into the mic router, and some sing. Only several guest performers other than the house band bring guitar amps and FX, though those who do make sure they sit in the mix appropriately. Only the newbs play their instruments too loud where the vocals are drowned out, and the crowd can't hear themselves speak over the loud music. I'd expect that playing too loud would be a sure ticket to "see ya 'round," not "you're welcome anytime."

Back