Pros vs. Cons of This Endeavor...?

The CAB M looks more for those with an Amp head that want a digital interface to send their tone to a PA or PC - not to replace an Amp. I know some pre-amps are available as a Pedal too which may be the best option to put in front of the CAB M to use it on a pedal board.

I think that may be the key here. Trying to determine if a given preamp circuit will be enough for the CAB M's power section, or whether my tone (sound) would differ significantly with my existing effects and CAB M. If a lot of my tone is created within my effects board, and the amp is more or less an afterthought as a clean platform for home studio use or practice when you like to feel the amp pushing air through its speaker.

My budget still won't allow more than $300, which puts the HX Stomp and other Helix / AmpliFIRE devices out of my price range. I think that the CAB M with its wide selection of features may be enough if my existing effects can provide the preamp circuit needed for the CAB M. If not, my gear sales rep may be able to direct me to what will work within my budget, or suggest a replacement effect that will act as a preamp circuit. (Additional sale/puchase may be necessary)

I will be asking some directed questions when speaking to my gear sales rep Monday morning. Perhaps the sales rep who knows his effects' product line well can provide some insight as to what will perform in various situations, and what won't.

As a side note, given a day to think about this, I've already listed my Dynatrem for sale at a good price (visible later this afternoon, 3 PM EDT), in hopes of defraying some of the upfront cost of the CAB M.

The key thing you mentioned is the visceral sound of a tube amp. That about sums up in one word what the modelers miss.

Yes, they can sound very good. But it ain’t the same.

My plug and play, “carry less weighty stuff” solution is a tube head and an amp load box that can go into a PA or recording device. Granted, a tube head weighs more than an unpowered modeling thing, but it’s manageable, and a load box is the size of a small book.

Not saying anyone else should do this, just what suits me.

The sales rep I spoke with mentioned that. There is something about amp speakers pushing air that allows one to feel the music, rather than just hear it. That may be the difference that will keep amp builders in business for a time, until modelers can recreate the visceral quality that tube amps have.

Regards "carry lighter weight stuff," I think in due time if ever I need bring my amp out to a venue the amp's speaker will have a neodymium speaker put in. Celestion makes a nice 60W RMS Neo Creamback speaker that is more mellow regards lower mids with less top-end similar to VOX type speakers (the Neo Century Vintage). I'll consider speaker weight constraints later this year if the CAB M fails to provide adequate tone or sound quality.

My room constraints prevent me from owning a head/cab (my Brunetti resides in a cinderblock bookshelf with wooden shelves, something I thought of / built in part while attending college years ago) I live in a relatively geo-hazard-free area, so this solves my storage needs quite well. Not much chance of avalanche or earthquake here.

Although you might think a head/cab would fit into this space, access would be much more limited above if knobs and switches resided above. Am currently happy with my amp and what it does: a gorgeous clean platform for effects. I could go taller with the smaller cinderblocks, though am not looking for a new head/cab replacement for my amp. This one's a keeper.

2JiV7oC.jpg

The sales rep I spoke with mentioned that. There is something about amp speakers pushing air that allows one to feel the music, rather than just hear it. That may be the difference that will keep amp builders in business for a time, until modelers can recreate the visceral quality that tube amps have.

Regards "carry lighter weight stuff," I think in due time if ever I need bring my amp out to a venue the amp's speaker will have a neodymium speaker put in. Celestion makes a nice 60W RMS Neo Creamback speaker that is more mellow regards lower mids with less top-end similar to VOX type speakers (the Neo Century Vintage). I'll consider speaker weight constraints later this year if the CAB M fails to provide adequate tone or sound quality.

My room constraints prevent me from owning a head/cab (my Brunetti resides in a cinderblock bookshelf with wooden shelves, something I thought of / built in part while attending college years ago) I live in a relatively geo-hazard-free area, so this solves my storage needs quite well. Not much chance of avalanche or earthquake here.

Although you might think a head/cab would fit into this space, access would be much more limited above if knobs and switches resided above. Am currently happy with my amp and what it does: a gorgeous clean platform for effects. I could go taller with the smaller cinderblocks, though am not looking for a new head/cab replacement for my amp. This one's a keeper.

2JiV7oC.jpg

Great looking amp!

Great looking amp!

Thanks, Les,

While doing my research regards boutique amps in 2017, I chanced across a YT video of this man doing the amp justice. The reason for my purchase. IIRC, there was only one U.S. Brunetti dealer who stocked the amp, GuitarX.com, in Colorado. Gary Rosen (the owner) was kind enough to walk me through the Brunetti purchase back in July 2017.

I think I've got one of the few U.S. distributed pieces that are handbuilt in Italy. Gorgeous cleans and takes pedals beautifully.

Have a listen to Alberto Barrero, my inspiration for this amp purchase...

Thanks, Les,

While doing my research regards boutique amps in 2017, I chanced across a YT video of this man doing the amp justice. The reason for my purchase. IIRC, there was only one U.S. Brunetti dealer who stocked the amp, GuitarX.com, in Colorado. Gary Rosen (the owner) was kind enough to walk me through the Brunetti purchase back in July 2017.

I think I've got one of the few U.S. distributed pieces that are handbuilt in Italy. Gorgeous cleans and takes pedals beautifully.

Have a listen to Alberto Barrero, my inspiration for this amp purchase...

Sounds really nice! Reminds me in some ways of my old Two-Rocks, in terms of its sparkle and clarity; though it’s different, of course, it’s in that ‘wonderfully toneful and clear amp’ ballpark. Very nice!

Seems you can use it without a pre-amp on your pedal board although Henning wouldn't recommend it. This series may give you all the info you may need to make a educated assessment as to whether or not this will be the best solution for you.

Sounds really nice! Reminds me in some ways of my old Two-Rocks, in terms of its sparkle and clarity; though it’s different, of course, it’s in that ‘wonderfully toneful and clear amp’ ballpark. Very nice!

Thanks, Les,

Only a single channel amp, the Brunetti 35W does cleans remarkably well, and takes to pedals beautifully.

I used to own a Fuchs ODS-30 just previous to the Brunetti that I seldom used the 2nd channel for, but loved the clean channel. The Brunetti has some really nice warm clean tones that can be adjusted bright, tweed, smooth, or fat, depending on your mood. Even a switch for full, half, and quarter power.

Gotta say it's a pretty neat amp that didn't cost a lot for a boutique single channel amp. Compared to something like a Carr, Swart, or similar, I think this was a good investment.

Or a hippie. Cinder blocks and shelves were essential accoutrements for one’s collection of Whole Earth Catalogs. ;)

Fortunately, not a hippie, missed that generation by about 5 years and was a product of the mid-70s with classic rock music. My music and remaining college study books reside on the shelf above the 3-ring binders. Nice thing about the shelves is that they extend out either side of the cinder blocks for little mini-shelves where one can put decorative stuff. The mini shelves house stuff like guitar cleaning and polish solutions, Fingerease and such. The other side houses a small statuette of a bronze guitarist and other stuff, including a surge protector strip, radio antenna, etc.

Thanks, Les,

Only a single channel amp, the Brunetti 35W does cleans remarkably well, and takes to pedals beautifully.

I used to own a Fuchs ODS-30 just previous to the Brunetti that I seldom used the 2nd channel for, but loved the clean channel. The Brunetti has some really nice warm clean tones that can be adjusted bright, tweed, smooth, or fat, depending on your mood. Even a switch for full, half, and quarter power.

Gotta say it's a pretty neat amp that didn't cost a lot for a boutique single channel amp. Compared to something like a Carr, Swart, or similar, I think this was a good investment.

Yeah, sounds great! Very good investment for sure. A great amp is a thing of merriment and joy!

As you can probably tell from my posts, I love a good amp. My two current favorites are my single channel PRS amps, the HXDA and the DG30; for what they do, I think they’re well nigh incomparable, but they’re different types of amp than your Brunetti. Variety is a good thing, though!

I do like the way that demo sounds, it’s a cool amp.

Fortunately, not a hippie, missed that generation by about 5 years and was a product of the mid-70s with classic rock music.

Hey, you missed out on all...er...some of the fun! ;)

Actually, I spanned both eras. Both were crazy times, but fun and interesting.

Last edited:
Seems you can use it without a pre-amp on your pedal board although Henning wouldn't recommend it. This series may give you all the info you may need to make a educated assessment as to whether or not this will be the best solution for you.

I see that the demo includes a Two Notes Le Clean preamp. That was on my radar screen recently, until I think my gut was telling me to just re-position my Decibelics Golden Horse OD/Boost before my Blue Note and keep the GH as an "always on" effect, as well as my Ego Compressor.

The Two Notes Help Desk responded to my question regards using a preamp. The Help Desk did say that a preamp is necessary for best results, but could not say whether the Ego Compressor would be up to the task. Best to rely on a dedicated boost or preamp pedal, like the Golden Horse.

Thanks for this video, but the guy is a bit hard to take seriously, so I listened to Shawn Tubb's and Pete Thorn's videos and these seemed to be helpful. Shawn does a decent job describing the CAB NM functions and says his Revv G2 distortion pedal before the CAB M serves as an adequate preamp circuit for the job.

I'd likely need to compare the CAB M with only an OD/boost pedal like the GH to be sure, though I think this will be enough.

Yeah, sounds great! Very good investment for sure. A great amp is a thing of merriment and joy!

As you can probably tell from my posts, I love a good amp. My two current favorites are my single channel PRS amps, the HXDA and the DG30; for what they do, I think they’re well nigh incomparable, but they’re different types of amp than your Brunetti. Variety is a good thing, though!

I do like the way that demo sounds, it’s a cool amp.

Just got off the phone with my Sweetwater rep. We went back and forth a few times trying to determine whether an additional EQ, boost, or combination effect was necessary for the CAB M.

We did decide that adding a 3rd boost pedal would only introduce extraneous noise in to the circuit, so we ruled that out. Then we considered what might replace my Ego Compressor for EQ/Compressor capabilities. Tabled that, too. Seems that re-positioning the Golden Horse was the most cost-effective but least noise-creating solution.

We'll see. I've got early Wednesday afternoon to twiddle with my effects board, so perhaps a test-drive / tone report will be forthcoming once the board is reconfigured.

Hey, you missed out on all...er...some of the fun! ;)

Actually, I spanned both eras. Both were crazy times, but fun and interesting.

I like to think I survived not being drafted to 'Nam because the conflict had ended by the time I had entered college in late '76. I was a pacifist back then and although didn't take part in the peace demonstrations, was there in spirit thinking along the same lines...and thanks, some of the "fun" I needed to avoid because it did a number on my thought process, so I quit doing any recreational substances other than alcohol at home or socially until current day...

I like to think I survived not being drafted to 'Nam because the conflict had ended by the time I had entered college in late '76. I was a pacifist back then and although didn't take part in the peace demonstrations, was there in spirit thinking along the same lines...and thanks, some of the "fun" I needed to avoid because it did a number on my thought process, so I quit doing any recreational substances other than alcohol at home or socially until current day...

I meant the gestalt of the whole cultural phenomenon, not simply substances.

I was in a working band when I was in college, so my weekends were booked solid; that was a heck of a lot of fun, and Ann Arbor was (and still is) a great college town. I loved the music we played, the spirit of the times, etc.

Couldn’t have been a happier camper.

I meant the gestalt of the whole cultural phenomenon, not simply substances.

I was in a working band when I was in college, so my weekends were booked solid; that was a heck of a lot of fun, and Ann Arbor was (and still is) a great college town. I loved the music we played, the spirit of the times, etc.

Couldn’t have been a happier camper.

I'm happy that your college days were enjoyable. I don't wish to bore you with how sad or misguided mine were. Truly an odyssey of being the inexperienced, shy, inept, kid who was very much the late bloomer in an urban setting, barely surviving his sophomore year. Jerry Garcia was correct in the sense in singing "What a long, strange trip it's been..."

Had I been given the chance to do it all over again, I would have chosen another course in life and not attended college, but learned a trade and perhaps been a carpenter, or electrician. Too late to think about that now.

Anyway, so much for the trip down forgettable memory lane. o_O:oops::)

My choice has been made; have opted to sell both my Keeley Dynatrem and J Rockett Blue Note for a cost-effective, smaller size Mooer Two Stone 010 preamp, which will feed the CAB M power amp modeling circuit. The Decibelics Golden Horse will remain on my board as well as the Ego Compressor and other effects. The Mooer is several days away, hopefully shipping soon. The smaller size of the Mooer will allow for additional real estate on the board that will make for a better appearance than previously (which looks somewhat cramped just now). Will await its arrival and post a separate eBay listing for the Blue Note.

The CAB M will be ordered likely by early April, budgeting accordingly.

I'm happy that your college days were enjoyable. I don't wish to bore you with how sad or misguided mine were. Truly an odyssey of being the inexperienced, shy, inept, kid who was very much the late bloomer in an urban setting, barely surviving his sophomore year. Jerry Garcia was correct in the sense in singing "What a long, strange trip it's been..."

Had I been given the chance to do it all over again, I would have chosen another course in life and not attended college, but learned a trade and perhaps been a carpenter, or electrician. Too late to think about that now.

Sorry to hear your college years weren’t great.

Early in my professional life I practiced law; later I went into music, doing scores for TV ads, films, etc., and that’s what I’ve done for the past 29 years. It’s nice to have done a couple of interesting things in life.

Sorry to hear your college years weren’t great.

Early in my professional life I practiced law; later I went into music, doing scores for TV ads, films, etc., and that’s what I’ve done for the past 29 years. It’s nice to have done a couple of interesting things in life.

It's good to know you were successful earlier on. I'd say that success could be measured with how many expectations one set out to do in life and fulfilled. Perhaps that is my failing; I set out to do a lot in life but encountered many setbacks that prevented me from fulfilling what I had set out to do. Perhaps what has limited me from fulfilling these expectations is not an end to a means, but more accurately, how I pictured life to be despite my limitations.

My life has been relatively uneventful but mostly a series of coincidences that were loosely related to my daily routines. (Don't ask. It's part of my history that involves making sense of reality in a progressive manner that reveals only my understanding of life as I know it. IOW, my view of life, as seen through an older man's eyes with a mindset looking towards the immediate future...)

In other news, my flower bulbs have begun to peek through the soil in my garden, the snow is receding, the ground beginning to thaw. I watered my indoor flowers yesterday and thought to watch a soccer game, but really had no interest in soccer.

The good news regards my Pros/Cons endeavor is that I've located a Mooer 010 Two Stone preamp and purchased it for the soon-to-be CAB M. I've also listed my J Rockett Blue Note Pro Series on the 'bay to help defray more the costs of incoming effects.

Although the Mooer may not be the permanent solution for my CAB M, it is a good one in that the Two Stone 010 meets my standards for audio quality. For those who are trying to locate a decent preamp with excellent cleans and sweet overdrive, the Mooer Two Stone 010 preamp may be a good choice.

It's good to know you were successful earlier on. I'd say that success could be measured with how many expectations one set out to do in life and fulfilled.

I think success is the ability to enjoy the journey through life, and isn’t measurable.

My wife would disagree with me. ;)

I think success is the ability to enjoy the journey through life, and isn’t measurable.

My wife would disagree with me. ;)

Not disagreeing with you, but your statement puts me at a disadvantage, because my journey in life has been far from enjoyable, simply because it's not me. It's them. And I have a sign in my room that describes it quite aptly:

PphXlte.jpg

I think of all the times I could be tacking on 10% surcharge for the rudeness and idiocy I go through each day (today was such a day). Why should I be the bad example? We have plenty of other folks for that. That's how I go through life sometimes. One disturbing picture after another. o_O

Back