Project Zach Attack

thieves&foxes

So I went to my local dealer and placed on order my Zach Meyers SE. As I am at the bottom of Africa not sure when we'll get them. Anyway in the mean time I decided to start dreaming of USA part upgrades. Let me know what you think. My dream machine is a Singlecut Hollowbody II so this will do in the mean time till I have the cash for the real deal.

Firstly want to change the nut to USA Wide Fat, and the Stoptail for a USA edition (Would a USA stoptail work on a SE? Would I have to redrill the posts? Any info?)
Then replace most of the inner working SE parts with a USA: I.e 3-Way Toggle Switch, Volume Pots (500k), Tone Pots (500k) and probably the Output Jack Assembly as well.
On the outside change the knobs to Amber Lampshade, ( I think this would look cooler than the clear), change the tuners to Phase III Locking Tuners with Faux-bone, and replace the truss rod cover with a blank.

The only real decision that I cant make is 59/09's or 250's? The guitar I going to be used mostly in a rock context. Any idea's using a SE30 as amp for a reference.

Lastly does anyone know if PRS sell replacement faceplates. I.e a piece of wood with the PRS logo to put on the headstock. The last ones a stretch but hey you dont ask, you dont know.

:prslogo:

I preordered mine a few weeks ago. I'm replacing the nut, trc and all electronics. Also installing a Seymour Dundan Distortion set in it. As far as knobs I was looking at black or amber knobs. Gonna wait until it gets here to decide. Have a Tremonti I can use the knobs off of to see how it looks. Clear ones are actually growing on me though.

Want to change the Stoptail for a USA edition (Would a USA stoptail work on a SE? Would I have to redrill the posts? Any info?)
The way I understand it based on what I have read on the forums, the USA stoptail fits the SE guitars without modification, but the post do not. The posts on a SE have metric threading while the USA posts have USA/English threading. Shroeder Guitars sells an aftermarket adjustable bridge that fits all PRS guitars, just one bridge with two different types of posts depending on if you're installing it on a SE or USA PRS (the posts are sold separately). TonePros locking studs are the same way, two types, one to fit PRS USA and the other to fit PRS Metric. So, if changing the studs is that important to this project, those two companies are where you need to look for parts.

The website spec says the bridge is the SE adjustable stoptail, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually the Tonepros with locking studs. I can't say for sure, but if it is, I wouldn't bother changing it, it's an awesome bridge.

I'm leaning towards 59/09's in mine, or maybe even another set of 57/08's, or if I'm reallllllllllyyyyyyyy lucky, 53/10's. Your amp will have plenty of gain with either the 59/09's or 250's, I've really loved the 57/08's in my Akesson so I would push you toward the 59's. But that's just me!

thank you all.

I think I am going towards the 59/09s as well, love my 53/10's in my P22. The question I have about the bridge is this, will swapping the bridge, but not the posts make a huge impact to tone? I am trying to get as close to a USA guitar on this one :)

I'm confused about the bridge. The product page doesn't say it's the SE bridge. Both it and the Marty just say "PRS Adjustable Stoptail." The older SE fixed bridges say "PRS Designed." Does the new ZM actually have the US adjustable? The MAP of the guitar leads to no, but the site isn't that clear.

The tuners will be my first upgrade...Sergio, do you have a set of wings I can buy?

Back