Project in the Works...Some Hardware Tweaks

CandidPicker

Tone Matters. Use It Well.
In a separate post regarding bridges, several PMs were exchanged with a forum member asking how he had liked his MannMade adjustable bridges that he had installed in his PRS stop tail guitars.

The forumite said he owned a spare MannMade 2300 adjustable bridge he had pulled from a previous guitar he would offer for sale, if I might consider a purchase, or if not, buy direct new from John Mann.

After some patient Q/A, we settled on a deal. The only caveat was that no MannMade bridge studs were included in the deal; these would need to be purchased separately. No problem.

Moneys exchanged. Now, the gestation process; waiting for the bridge and studs to arrive. Hopefully by this weekend or early next week.

Am planning on upgrading my 2015 McCarty wraparound stop tail bridge to a John Mann 2300 polished aluminum adjustable stop tail, with nickel/brass bridge studs.

I had reasoned that the nickel-plated brass would retain the esthetic look while providing better tone than pure nickel, but infinitesimally less than pure brass.

Pics and possible comparative recordings of the wraparound bridge and adjustable MannMade replacement bridge and project once completed...

EDIT: Just received notification the bridge studs have shipped. (Twiddling thumbs vigorously)

Last edited:
Received notification from USPS that both bridge pins and replacement MannMade 2300 adjustable are on their way. Possible arrival times may be this Friday, or as late as Monday.

A buddy of mine to my north suggested recording my 2015 McCarty with wraparound stop tail and then once the installation of the new bridge will be complete, to also record the same chord progressions, hybrid picking, and lead lines. I thought so as well, but couldn't promise him any amazing results, aware of my limited recording skills.

TBH, my concern is exercising restraint in my playing, so that only the necessary factors can play a role in what is recorded. While IMHO, the recording may be unworthy of pro level musicianship, it is a small contribution towards comparing the 2 types of bridges many wraparound stop tail guitarists have wondered about. Hopefully, what you hear is clear and refined enough for your palates. I'm hoping that this will only give you an idea of how the 2 bridges are tastefully done, barring any issues with the recording process.

I hope it works out!

Perhaps. I personally am not planning on staying up late nights trying to get the "parts" to work together. It'll likely be a simple stereo panned double track of some strummed chords, some hybrid picking, and perhaps some ascending lead riffs. I'll repeat a separate project with the bridge replaced and new strings, and perhaps export a .wav file to my Music library and upload to SoundCloud. Gotta remember how to link SoundCloud to this forum...IIRC it is linked via the video icon or paste direct link which folks will need to click into.

I've recently replaced my McCarty former PRS bridge studs and changed strings within the past 2 weeks, and have not bothered with practice too much, simply because of other obligations. If I need any help with Logic Pro X 10.6, I've got resources from Apple's website plus a bunch o' videos for reference.

The waiting, as Tom Petty once sang, is the hardest part. ;)

Well,
Apple Tech Support is there for direction in case I might need hands-on training. I've worked with GarageBand before and it's fairly straight-forward. I just need to remember to save my work-in-progress occasionally in case too many plug-ins might overload my system. If I need help I'll let you know.

Well,
Apple Tech Support is there for direction in case I might need hands-on training. I've worked with GarageBand before and it's fairly straight-forward. I just need to remember to save my work-in-progress occasionally in case too many plug-ins might overload my system. If I need help I'll let you know.

I have zero knowledge of GarageBand. I'm strictly on Logic and UA's Luna these days.

I have zero knowledge of GarageBand. I'm strictly on Logic and UA's Luna these days.

I bought an iPad for soft synths and found out my main keyboard works as an audio interface for GarageBand. I’ve been using it as an ultra portable and low-key recording setup and I gotta say.... GB is pretty f@cking amazing now. I haven’t turned on my Mac with Logic in a year. :eek:

My day consisted of setting up Logic, recording 3 passes in Logic, and doubling each of the 3 passes, with certain pre-bus effects, and certain post-bus effects. I think I used a noise gate, one or 2 stomp box effects, 3 separate amps (Clean Brit Stack, an Overloud TH-U Tweed Deluxe, and an Overloud TH-U Tumble ODS, with Logic AuReverb2.

Post-bus I used Logic Channel EQ, Focusrite RED 3 Compressor, Waves CLA Guitar, and lastly, a Waves WLM Plus (Loudness Meter). (Remind me to relocate the WLM Plus to the end of the effects chain and upload the piece to SoundCloud again. The loudness meter is in the wrong place in the signal path currently.)

The 3 passes are very rudimentary, but are patched together with a brief lead intro time (can't clean up the noise in the intro spaces, sorry). These 6 tracks are intended solely for demonstration purposes, and should not be considered song quality or quality work. It's like the the reason you bought cheap hi-top sneakers when you were fresh out of college that you kept forever, for sentimental reasons.

I bought an iPad for soft synths and found out my main keyboard works as an audio interface for GarageBand. I’ve been using it as an ultra portable and low-key recording setup and I gotta say.... GB is pretty f@cking amazing now. I haven’t turned on my Mac with Logic in a year. :eek:

I thought about using my iPad as a Logic Remote for synth pads, but these tracks are just 3 doubled guitar parts, unadulterated and simple. Perhaps some overdrive, reverb, and delay on a couple parts. I've not tried GarageBand since Logic, but this is also my first attempt with Logic, so go easy on either the commendation or stink-factor the recording has.

I'm not proud of the piece, but will try to put together 6 new re-recorded tracks with the same parameters so as to provide you with a comparison between PRS wraparound stop tail bridge and adjustable MannMade. It may be Monday evening before the 2nd recording is posted to SoundCloud, but they'll then both be linked to this forum once the 2nd recording will be completed.

I hear a bunch of tech stuff that’s gone way over my head. Let us know next week which you think is the better bridge :p

I hear a bunch of tech stuff that’s gone way over my head. Let us know next week which you think is the better bridge :p

You're speaking to a guy who just learned how to set-up / play / mix / bounce a brief score lasting about 1 minute 57 seconds. I learn quickly with plenty of focus and good attitude. Oops, it took me 4 hours start to finish. No one said I needed to finish a deadline first.

Of course I'll provide a semi-objective review. Incidentally, it was Broseph who provided the used MannMade 2300 bridge. The used bridge save me some cash and looks pretty darn nice. See you in the AM.

Last edited:
OK, Gentlemen,

Last week before the replacement bridge arrived, 3 basic guitar-only tracks were recorded and slapped together in sequence to demonstrate hybrid picking, jazz strumming and some brief lead lines.

Much to my dismay, listening to the recordings was embarrassingly bad, not my best work at all. For that reason, that particular recording will be scrapped and a separate recording of the MannMade Adjustable bridge re-done.

This time, not only was it possible to adjust my HeadRush Gigboard settings to accommodate the replaced bridge, but my practice actually sounded much better, because I felt more inspired with the new bridge's results.

My hope is to use the Gigboard direct to my DAW's clean channel in Logic Pro X.

If any of you have experience using external devices like HeadRush recording to DAW via USB, plz PM me with your suggestions. Meanwhile, I'll be reading the Gigboard's manual regards USB/DAW recording in hopes of making sense of this.

My feeling is that me being new to home recording has its negative side, but like a child who discovers his environment via exploration/observation, I learn rather quickly. My recording abilities are still in their infancy, but once I learn the language and ways of working/playing with my tools and toys, I'll be able to converse on an appropriate level with more experienced ones.

Back