Progressive metal

I had posted before I like Dream Theater, but I also like when some of the members got together and made an album under a different name.

Liquid Tension Experiment - "Paradigm Shift" Live 2008

Look at those weird things the bass player uses to tap his strings with.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had posted before I like Dream Theater, but I also like when some of the members got together and made an album under a different name.

Liquid Tension Experiment - "Paradigm Shift" Live 2008

Look at those weird things the bass player uses to tap his strings with.

Aren't those modded drum sticks?

I've always loved this song. This project is where the guys from DT met Jordan Rudess, which led to him joining DT in 1999 (or so) which had a huge impact on (my most favourite) DT album "Scenes from a memory".
I don't know much about Tony Levine, but he surely kick asses :rock:

I like some of the riffs in that song where it starts out high and works down the scale.
Might try copying it this weekend.

On my drive home from work each day instead of listening to Sirius satt, I turn on the Bluetooth on my Droid Bionic, when hit Pandora on my rigs stereo.
I have a Dream Theater channel setup, so after they play one DT song, Liquid Tension usually has a song, and I hear this one quite frequently.

DT has another song too, I forget the name of it, but it is several other song parts from other bands.
Really cool rendition they do, but I cannot remember the name of it.
I bet you know the song I am talking about.

I like some of the riffs in that song where it starts out high and works down the scale.
Might try copying it this weekend.

On my drive home from work each day instead of listening to Sirius satt, I turn on the Bluetooth on my Droid Bionic, when hit Pandora on my rigs stereo.
I have a Dream Theater channel setup, so after they play one DT song, Liquid Tension usually has a song, and I hear this one quite frequently.

DT has another song too, I forget the name of it, but it is several other song parts from other bands.
Really cool rendition they do, but I cannot remember the name of it.
I bet you know the song I am talking about.

Perhaps the Big Medley? It contains some Pink Floyd, Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" and Genesis' "Turn it on again"... or perhaps any other medley of theirs...

Not a massive prog metal fan but am definitely a fan of weirdness. For those of a heavier bent I can recommend Ulcerate (kind of microtonal death metal, more texture then riff) and Deathspell Omega (progressive black metal, Mars Volta-esque in places).

I'm looking forward to the Devin Townsend + Meshuggah show in London!

Not a massive prog metal fan but am definitely a fan of weirdness. For those of a heavier bent I can recommend Ulcerate (kind of microtonal death metal, more texture then riff) and Deathspell Omega (progressive black metal, Mars Volta-esque in places).

I'm looking forward to the Devin Townsend + Meshuggah show in London!

I will check those out. Welcome to the forum btw :hello:

Guys, you have to see this. Bunch of kids playing cover of Dream Theater's "Pull me under". It's awesome and one of the guys is rocking PRS SE!!! :D

Gosh Albrecht, those kids have talent!
That was great.

That looks to be an older SE, very cool.
Whole group was pretty good.

Hard to believe with her voice she is only 11.
I liked the On the back of angels done at the end of the video.
One of my favorite Dream Theater songs, and is the song I saw on Palladia after another concert ended and they had around 10 minutes to fill.
Once I heard that song on TV, I bought the whole new album of MP3s off of Amazon.

Would like to hear this group do some more stuff, but it seems the channel owner mainly covers weddings and stuff.

Albrecht, I looked for a way to contact the guy who has the channel that posted the video of them, but he may have turned off the option to have anyone contact him via YouTube.
Do you know if this group has anymore videos?
Would like to see how they sound doing other songs as well.

Sure wish I played that good at their age.

Albrecht, I looked for a way to contact the guy who has the channel that posted the video of them, but he may have turned off the option to have anyone contact him via YouTube.
Do you know if this group has anymore videos?
Would like to see how they sound doing other songs as well.

Sure wish I played that good at their age.

I wish I played that good now! :)

The comment under the video says: Presented by http://www.aaronokeefe.com
So I believe what you're looking for is this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-students-of-aaron-okeefe/id455402028

Hi, this is my first post here. I used to use a jade green PRS Santana through a Hiwatt DR110 into a Hiwatt 4X10 cab. The only pedal I used was a Marshall Shredmaster. I recorded one album with the PRS with my old metal band called 'Foe' who were based in London, England. I guess we straddled a few genres, but didn't sit neatly into any of them. It was instrumental progressive metal influenced by prog bands like King Crimson and Yes, but also very influenced by the metalcore and math rock bands at the time like Converge, Botch and American Heritage etc. Make your own mind up and have a listen here...

http://foeband.bandcamp.com

The guitar sound is kind of hmmm, 'woody' to my ears now. If I did it all again now I would probably just go direct into the head and get the natural saturation from the tubes on full whack. Hohum.

Jason, tracks will not load for me at work, will have to try from home later.

On my commute home each day from work I switch my stereo over to Pandora on the "Dream Theater" channel I created.
They play DT of course, but other prog rock bands too.
One I have heard lately is pretty cool, it starts out with flamingo guitar, then a metal guitar comes in with both power chords and lead, pretty cool :D

Flametal is their name.

Albrecht, was it you who introduced me to The Chronicles Of Israfel? I was pretty impressed with that.

Back