Progressive metal

Now back to BTBAM for a second - I love these play through videos they did becuase not only are the riffs pretty crushing, but they also have lovely PRSi. I'm really digging Dustie's satin finished one with a floyd!

Dustie!

Paul!

BTBAM!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a prog metal fan, as well. That spans all the way from Symphony X, Human Abstract, BTBAM, Opeth, Animals As Leaders, Dream Theater, Tesseract, Periphery, etc etc.

My dearest progheads, I just have to share this with you. This summer I'm going to a festival, which features Opeth, Ihsahn, Leprous and Meshuggah (among other metal bands). This is kinda fancy lineup for Czech Republic.

I wasn't this excited in a long time! :rock:

My dearest progheads, I just have to share this with you. This summer I'm going to a festival, which features Opeth, Ihsahn, Leprous and Meshuggah (among other metal bands). This is kinda fancy lineup for Czech Republic.

I wasn't this excited in a long time! :rock:

That sounds like a killer line-up, plus you'll be in PRAGUE!

I have been a Dream Theater fan for along time, I really like opeth and Periphery as well. I am going to have to check out a few of these other bands.

Sounds like a concert location that the cartoon version of Dethklock would play!

Haha, YES, definitely! Btw. did you know Toki Wartooth is said to be loosely based on Mikael Akerfeldt? ;)

I have been a Dream Theater fan for along time, I really like opeth and Periphery as well. I am going to have to check out a few of these other bands.

Well Ihsahn is former frontman of the infamous Norwegian black metallers "Emperor", going much softer and "digestible". Leprous are fronted by his brother-in-law and they also serve him (Ihsahn) as a touring band. Here's a sample of Ihsahn's stuff, featuring Michael Akerfeldt of Opeth on vocals:

If you like classic prog like Dream Theater, I'd highly recommend the "Pain of Salvation" (in case you don't know them already) - they don't show off their speed and technique as much, but are extremely musical and creative and their leader is an unbelievable singer, IMHO comparable to Michael Jackson. First four albums are the best for me.

This is going to be good, I will be buying the BluRay disc set when it is available.
Dream Theater Live At Luna Park Live Concert DVD Trailer

This is going to be good, I will be buying the BluRay disc set when it is available.
Dream Theater Live At Luna Park Live Concert DVD Trailer

Awesome trailer. Their performance seems more energic than ever. Jordan's beard is getting longer and longer. With his magician's hat on, he could be teaching music at Hogwarts :D

Not arguing with that, but I liked Portnoy better ;) (no doubt there are many topics about Dream Theater we can discuss forever and never agree)

Im a huge Portnoy fan and going into seeing them last year I was skeptical - but when I tell you that Mangini DESTROYED Portnoy in a live setting, please believe me. Its too bad that Mangini didnt get to write his drum parts on the last album because I think thats what made me go into it underwhelmed.

Haha, YES, definitely! Btw. did you know Toki Wartooth is said to be loosely based on Mikael Akerfeldt? ;)

Well Ihsahn is former frontman of the infamous Norwegian black metallers "Emperor", going much softer and "digestible". Leprous are fronted by his brother-in-law and they also serve him (Ihsahn) as a touring band. Here's a sample of Ihsahn's stuff, featuring Michael Akerfeldt of Opeth on vocals:

If you like classic prog like Dream Theater, I'd highly recommend the "Pain of Salvation" (in case you don't know them already) - they don't show off their speed and technique as much, but are extremely musical and creative and their leader is an unbelievable singer, IMHO comparable to Michael Jackson. First four albums are the best for me.
Thanks, I will have to check "Pain of Salvation"

Im a huge Portnoy fan and going into seeing them last year I was skeptical - but when I tell you that Mangini DESTROYED Portnoy in a live setting, please believe me. Its too bad that Mangini didnt get to write his drum parts on the last album because I think thats what made me go into it underwhelmed.

I don't criticise any of their playing skill (god, how COULD I?), to be honest I only heard about one half of the latest album and seen just one Mangini's freestyle solo on youtube, which I found boring (I mean superbly technical and artistic, but "not funny enough"). Maybe it's the lack of funny faces Portnoy used to do all the time :D
On the other hand, I hated Portnoy for the pseudo growling vocals he started to do on Systematic Chaos (or maybe earlier)...

But don't really listen to me... I stopped listening to Dream Theater sometime around the release of Octavarium... they'd lost something magical that I loved about them (and can be found on "Images and words", "Scenes from the memory" and still a bit of it on "Six degrees of inner turbulence"). I can't explain what it was, but they don't have it anymore...

Back