Procrastinators

Em7

deus ex machina
Let's start off with the fact that I absolutely despise procrastinators. I have dumped every woman with whom I have ever been involved who was a procrastinator. I absolutely loathed being put on a team with a known procrastinator in graduate school and at work. I have zero tolerance for people who put off decisions or delay work until the last minute and who have to do the high stress scramble to make a deadline because that places undue stress on non-procrastinators. There really is no excuse for procrastinating other than pure laziness. What are your thoughts?

Let's start off with the fact that I absolutely despise procrastinators. I have dumped every woman with whom I have ever been involved who was a procrastinator. I absolutely loathed being put on a team with a known procrastinator in graduate school and at work. I have zero tolerance for people who put off decisions or delay work until the last minute and who have to do the high stress scramble to make a deadline because that places undue stress on non-procrastinators. There really is no excuse for procrastinating other than pure laziness. What are your thoughts?
My thoughts… everyone is different, and we should embrace people for their strengths and differences (even if those differences make you late for dinner. )

hmmm, well, first on the women part. (Amirite, Les?) When I look over the positives and negatives of a woman and the things that attract me or don't, I'm not exactly sure where this would fall on the list, but somewhere behind, well the behind for sure, but somewhere around her ability to do complex mathematical equations. While underwater.

Ok, seriously? While I don't despise them or loath them, I don't want to work with people like that. But I'm really in sales, so there are no procrastinators here or I'd move on to someplace else where there weren't. I have nothing against them, but don't want my income depending on someone who wants to put things off til the last minute.

As far as life in general and people/friends etc. I don't really have an issue with it. I'm not going to stop being friends with someone, or in the past, stop dating someone because they are a procrastinator. But at work, I don't like it.

Last edited by a moderator:
It takes all sorts to make the world go round. I am fine with procrastination as long as it gets done on time, and doesn't effect me. I am more annoyed, as the manager of people, by people who have so much potential, but fail to embrace it.

All of the responses are good. I am an anal, demanding kind of guy, which makes me not everyone's cup of tea. If you want to visualize me, think Sheldon Cooper, minus the atrocious people skills, wrapped in a middle linebacker's body, albeit an aging middle linebacker. That is quite the juxtaposition, What got to the point where I was in my career is that I could be counted on to deliver on-time.

All of the responses are good. I am an anal, demanding kind of guy, which makes me not everyone's cup of tea. If you want to visualize me, think Sheldon Cooper, minus the atrocious people skills, wrapped in a middle linebacker's body, albeit an aging middle linebacker. That is quite the juxtaposition, What got to the point where I was in my career is that I could be counted on to deliver on-time.
That's all good. I too thought your first post might be a little heavy handed, so my first inclination was to joke about it as well.

I'm a procrastinator from time to time. Yet I always - always - meet my deadlines! I've been this way ever since I can remember, and have always done well in spite of it.

So if you despise procrastinators, feel free to hate me. Life is too short as it is, I don't care.
hmmm, well, first on the women part. (Amirite, Les?) When I look over the positives and negatives of a woman and the things that attract me or don't, I'm not exactly sure where this would fall on the list, but somewhere behind, well the behind for sure, but somewhere around her ability to do complex mathematical equations. While underwater.

Hahaha!

This is why you and I were able to find lovely spouses who've made us remarkably happy. No math tests or alactricy tests were involved. Folks who have a list of 'dos' and 'don'ts' eliminate some remarkable women, and it's their loss. If I was single, no list of requirements would be involved. You either love someone, or not. Pretty simple.

As for me, treat me well, and I'm happy as a clam. Procrastinate all you want.

This is why you and I were able to find lovely spouses who've made us remarkably happy. No math tests or alactricy tests were involved.
You got that right! And boy, she would have been gone long ago if there were math tests! :p:p But she has many other fine qualities... not the least of which is a heart that's bigger than she is, caring more about others than herself, and yes, treating me well! Me clammy too!

You got that right! And boy, she would have been gone long ago if there were math tests! :p:p But she has many other fine qualities... not the least of which is a heart that's bigger than she is, caring more about others than herself, and yes, treating me well! Me clammy too!
With s Master's in Education, and close to a 4.0 at Michigan, my wife would probably have done better than me on math tests! :eek:

Good thing I never found out.

I was very lucky that she liked me at all, let alone married me.

There is a different dynamic in a solo vs team context. In the solo context my view is you either meet the deadline with acceptable results or you don’t. It matters not if you worked diligently over a week or frenetically over 1.5 days if you meet the deadline with acceptable results.

I have been procrastinating my whole life on growing up and I have yet to find a reason to do so! Deadline approacheth though, so I best get on it soon I guess!! In all seriousness, I am a procrastinator at times, and at other times I get stuff done within seconds of it being put on my plate!!! It is often a matter of my interest in a task, the necessity for immediate solution/completion, the other items in my mind that I feel are more important, etc. I gave up decades ago on people being like what I think they should be, it makes life a hell of a lot more tolerable!

There is a different dynamic in a solo vs team context. In the solo context my view is you either meet the deadline with acceptable results or you don’t. It matters not if you worked diligently over a week or frenetically over 1.5 days (HOURS!) if you meet the deadline with acceptable results.
So, you're saying it's like college... :D:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back