Probably know what answer I'll get here, but Vela or Tele?

It shipped! No ETA from UPS as yet...UPS delivery map shows 2 days, but I know they don't count weekends, so hopefully Tuesday...

For me, Tele's are incredible tools for songwriting and recording rhythm parts, I do not like them for lead playing at all.

I went forth and played some Teles today, and was reminded both why I like them and also why I never keep one. Looking for a nice used Vela....

I feel about Teles the same way I feel about Les Pauls - I love them when other people play them, but when I play them I don't sound like me.

I have the same issue with Strats and Teles - I hear others play them and the sound resonates with me so much, then I pick one up and just can’t bond with it. I think part of it is that I’m so used to playing my PRS guitars, and they have this big, fat sound, and my amps and effects are all adjusted to play well with that tone, then a Strat or Tele just sounds wimpy when I plug in. That’s why I grabbed an S2 Studio when I went in thinking of buying a Silver Sky, it gets me that different tone I want, but in a platform that doesn’t stray so far away that the rest of my signal chain is all out-of-whack.

For that reason, I think you made a good choice with the Vela. On the surface, of course, no, it will never out-Tele a Tele. But it will push you in the direction that you want to go, and still allow you to bring some other PRS as a backup without having to worry about everything getting thrown off if you want to switch. Having a bridge humbucker available is always a plus in my book, and the Starla HB is a really good one to have. Jangly and bright, but still plays nice for lead tones. And the D-Type single is excellent too. They’re my favorite of the “S” pickups.

Congrats, can't wait to see it

I used to buy guitars and then mod them to try to sound like this or that and just came to realize that as my Papa said when I was a kid... "sure you can pound a nail in with a screwdriver; however, if ya get the hammer out it's gonna be perfect for the job"

As my most played guitar of late is my '08 Mira, I'm interested in your take on the Vela. And congratulations!

As for Teles, I have one and keep going back to it. Sometimes I feel like a superhero, other times I feel like a complete buffoon who should have stuck with playing woodwinds. I will say the Tele made me a bit better. Flaws I had developed on my Strat (first electric) stood out with the Tele. I also learned how to use controls and better understood pick dynamics.

I was playing the Tele earlier tonight, it felt good, and I was thinking of keeping it on the stand and putting the Mira in its case for a bit. Then I picked up the PRS and changed my mind.

At least I get along with the Tele. At various times I've wanted a 335 or Les Paul as some favorite players use them, but each I tried didn't turn out like I'd hoped (some 335s came closer than the LPs, though).

The Mira, though is another story. I found it used, thought I'd give it a shot, and am still being surprised. It has made me want another PRS, though.

As my most played guitar of late is my '08 Mira, I'm interested in your take on the Vela. And congratulations!

As for Teles, I have one and keep going back to it. Sometimes I feel like a superhero, other times I feel like a complete buffoon who should have stuck with playing woodwinds. I will say the Tele made me a bit better. Flaws I had developed on my Strat (first electric) stood out with the Tele. I also learned how to use controls and better understood pick dynamics.

I was playing the Tele earlier tonight, it felt good, and I was thinking of keeping it on the stand and putting the Mira in its case for a bit. Then I picked up the PRS and changed my mind.

At least I get along with the Tele. At various times I've wanted a 335 or Les Paul as some favorite players use them, but each I tried didn't turn out like I'd hoped (some 335s came closer than the LPs, though).

The Mira, though is another story. I found it used, thought I'd give it a shot, and am still being surprised. It has made me want another PRS, though.

The Miras are some pretty magical guitars. I'm really looking forward to seeing how I like the Vela, and how they compare. I get rather nervous about buying a guitar when I haven't played that model before, but I have faith in PRS...

The Vela is a guitar that has sparked curiosity. I love the shape of the body but the pickup combo is what gets me.

Never played one, never held one but I'd sure like to.

First, congrats on your purchase. As an owner of both a Tele and a Vela I can confidently say that they are different animals. I think the Tele’s primitive design is what makes it so cool, but also solidifies why my Vela gets the most play time of the two. The two guitars have completely different woods, scale lengths, pickups etc. so if somebody wants to nail the Tele sound he or she should grab a Tele. Having played several Teles over the years, I just always felt like I was fighting with some aspect of each one. The main reason the Vela spends the most time in my hands, especially on those marathon gigs, is that it has this ability to just make you forget that you are playing it. Just like my Custom 24, the Vela has this ability to just disappear and that is what draws me to it time and time again. I am not sure how the folks at PRS do it, but having gigged both the Tele and the Vela for several three hour sets on more than one occasion it has solidified the Vela as my number one. PRS knocked it out of the park with this guitar. Can’t wait to see what you think of yours when it arrives.

Go try one..............:rolleyes:

Easier said than done these days - I've been dying to try one, but have been looking for months, had to just take the plunge and order mine...come on, Tuesday!!!

Congrats, the Vela is one of those guitars that intrigue me (among many others) - it’s something different! I’m looking forward towards your NGD post!

I was originally thinking I’d be the comedian and tell you to ask the same question in a Fender forum (what do you expect asking PRS people if you should by a PRS or a Fender?) - but the honesty and sincerity in the replies here amazed me. It shows this is a place for guitar people rather than just fanboys/girls.

Congrats, the Vela is one of those guitars that intrigue me (among many others) - it’s something different! I’m looking forward towards your NGD post!

I was originally thinking I’d be the comedian and tell you to ask the same question in a Fender forum (what do you expect asking PRS people if you should by a PRS or a Fender?) - but the honesty and sincerity in the replies here amazed me. It shows this is a place for guitar people rather than just fanboys/girls.

I expected more predictable answers here as well, which is why I titled the thread like I did - was surprised by the number of Tele answers I got. I did not ask this on a Fender forum, but that's because I know in my heart I'm a PRS guy...

My second guitar was a tele. Never again. My Johnny Hiland and S2 Studio get me close enough.

Something about PRS, (not Mary) I have a LP and a McCarty 594 DC and I have to say the LP sits in the stand a lot and just enjoys the sounds coming out of the 594. It just feels right, sounds right and plays right. And with the split PU's , I can get it sounding a lot like the single coil standards we grew up with.

Back